AngAngeles13

AngAngeles13

Jul 18, 2013
Dallas, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Khaleesi
Well, we got two estimates today. One from our local vet that we would be using regularly, and one from a friend who is a vet in the next town from us. Both were right around the $1000 mark. (Only to tack it down, not for full blown surgery) I'm wringing my hands trying to work up the nerve on negotiating with the breeder. (yes, I am a wuss)

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
Well, we got two estimates today. One from our local vet that we would be using regularly, and one from a friend who is a vet in the next town from us. Both were right around the $1000 mark. (Only to tack it down, not for full blown surgery) I'm wringing my hands trying to work up the nerve on negotiating with the breeder. (yes, I am a wuss)

You need to remember that it is not just the $1000 dollars, there is the meds until surgery, there are pre-op and post-op visits, meds after surgery, so I would add another $300 at least for these services.

She is precious! Is there another puppy in the litter that you might consider? Another litter coming up? This is the dog that you will be loving and caring for for the next 12-14 years this has to be the right decision. You need to feel good about this. Don't let the breeder Bully :) you!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack

Good luck working it out... If it goes badly just consider, this is the person who is supposed to be there for you, there should be love for the pup and trust between you both- I don't envy your position.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
@AngAngeles13 Getting a bully is a huge financial and emotional commitment. Something you might consider not even sure if this is even possible. When you get your pup you can always sign up for Pet insurance (highly recommended IMO) on the day you get your pup. You need to read the fine print on the policy usually there is a clause for pre existing conditions. Call the insurance companies and see what they say about coverage on a new puppy. Remember to tell them you have not gotten the puppy yet. If they say they would cover the cherry eye just tell the breeder to cover the cost of the deductible and a bit more for medication.

Good luck she is really cute but the breeder is hoping you dont do your homework and will just take the $100. A good breeder would want her pups to go to a good home vs how much money they can make.

Last edited:

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
@AngAngeles13 Getting a bully is a huge financial and emotional commitment. Something you might consider not even sure if this is even possible. When you get your pup you can always sign up for Pet insurance (highly recommended IMO) on the day you get your pup. You need to read the fine print on the policy usually there is a clause for pre existing conditions. Call the insurance companies and see what they say about coverage on a new puppy. Remember to tell them you have not gotten the puppy yet. If they say they would cover the cherry eye just tell the breeder to cover the cost of the deductible and a bit more for medication.

Good luck she is really cute but the breeder is hoping you dont do your homework and will just take the $100. A good breeder would want her pups to go to a good home vs how much money they can make.

I just read the fine print on my insurance policy and in this case the cherry eye would not be covered, so be very careful.

OP
AngAngeles13

AngAngeles13

Jul 18, 2013
Dallas, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Khaleesi
After talking with the breeder about the issue some more, we were just really feeling weird about the whole thing. Not about the pup, but about the breeder. I felt a little like it wasn't the pup's health or well being that was being made the most important, and that worried me.. (we have never seen the facility etc in person because they are so far away) So after really talking it out and wringing our hands a lot about it, we decided to pass on this particular pup. (and this breeder) We figured losing our deposit would still be less of a blow than surgery (and a possible surgery if the second eye goes) Not that it couldn't have still happened down the road anyhow, but that's a possibility vs a definite. While all of this was going on, I was looking at puppies early yesterday morning ...and saw a pup that was born the day before this one. After we decided to pass on pup #1, I mentioned it to my husband, and we decided to hop in the car and go see her since she is only 1 hour away vs. 8 hours away like the other. I felt really good that when I called this breeder and asked if I could come in the next hour, she was happy for us to come out right then. (She said you will have to excuse the mess, because I clean up after the dogs late at night) When we got there, it was an awesome place (with hardly a mess at all!) We were both impressed with the breeder, with the parents, and with her other dogs as well...and the pup she had was just the funniest little thing with a huge personality. We stayed there for almost an hour...and we couldn't help ourselves.....we decided to go forward. So while I'm really happy about the new pup, I'm struggling with letting the first pup go because even though I had never seen her in person, I was already attached. And now I'm worried about her finding a good home too. I hope this doesn't make me the worst pre-bully mom ever. :*(

Last edited:

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
No not at all, it's better to make this decision now before you've seen her, and really grown attached to her, and also if you had bad vibes about the breeder, and her best interests in her litter, then again best to find that out now. I don't think you should lose your deposit though, especially since the puppy already had a pre existing problem before she left the breeder. The other breeder seems like a better choice, and more reasonable, and it helps that she lives closer to you, so you were able to see where your bully came from, the conditions of where they live, and the parents, and also to meet the people who handle these pups so you get an idea of how they raise the pups, and you can actually play with the pups and ask questions. It sounds like you made a good choice, and will be happier with your decision in the end. I'm happy you found your new baby, and it must be very exciting, but the wait will seem like forever. Looking forward to pictures and future stories when you get her.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I do not think you are a bad pre-bully momma. You had to make a tough decision with a bad situation all around. I agree that you shouldn't have lost your deposit either due to the pre-existing condition. Sounds like the original breeder is a bit shaky if you ask me.

Last edited:

Starkie

Dec 8, 2012
Northern California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Walley-Bubba aka Wooley Bulley aka Walter! aka Landi!!
It's a good idea to get a gentics test before settling on a particular pup.
A reputable breader will not object to being asked.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
No not at all, it's better to make this decision now before you've seen her, and really grown attached to her, and also if you had bad vibes about the breeder, and her best interests in her litter, then again best to find that out now. I don't think you should lose your deposit though, especially since the puppy already had a pre existing problem before she left the breeder. The other breeder seems like a better choice, and more reasonable, and it helps that she lives closer to you, so you were able to see where your bully came from, the conditions of where they live, and the parents, and also to meet the people who handle these pups so you get an idea of how they raise the pups, and you can actually play with the pups and ask questions. It sounds like you made a good choice, and will be happier with your decision in the end. I'm happy you found your new baby, and it must be very exciting, but the wait will seem like forever. Looking forward to pictures and future stories when you get her.

Agree! I hope to see pics soon of your new addition.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
I am so excited about your new puppy! You made the right decision in finding a new breeder. A breeder should feel almost like a part of your extended family. You should feel comfortable calling them with questions and interacting with them. If the other breeder has any ethics you should get your deposit back. Don't worry about the other puppy the breeder will sell it as is or get the cherry eye fixed he will figure out how to make money on her.

So get ready for the big adventure! Here is some great reading while you wait.

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/content.php?543-I-Am-Your-Puppy

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/c...-Nose-Ropes-Folds-Paws-Tail-Pockets-and-Vulva

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/c...You-should-have-if-you-own-an-English-Bulldog

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
I think you made the best decision for your family. I cant wait to see pictures of your new puppy :yes:

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
I would be a bit put off for her offering just $100 off she should offer to fix the cherry eye herself as she still has the puppie when it developed, Ftse developed cherry eye at 5 months and it cost us somewhere between $1200 - $1600 and it was not covered by insurance as I was not insured until the week after and now nothing to do with his eyes are covered so any eye problems I have to pay the full amount so you need to take all this in consideration when deciding whether to keep this pup or choose another. I would find it difficult myself after choosing a pup and naming it and she has the most adorable little face but I guess you have to look at the big picture are you going to be able handle the cost of the before and after op costs along with the surgery fee.

OP
AngAngeles13

AngAngeles13

Jul 18, 2013
Dallas, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Khaleesi
Ugh, I just looked at the original breeders site, and she just posted a new pic of the pup (turned in a way that you can't see her poor little eye) saying "ready for adoption now!" Is that deceiving or am I being critical/sensitive?

OP
AngAngeles13

AngAngeles13

Jul 18, 2013
Dallas, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Khaleesi
I am so excited about your new puppy! You made the right decision in finding a new breeder. A breeder should feel almost like a part of your extended family. You should feel comfortable calling them with questions and interacting with them. If the other breeder has any ethics you should get your deposit back. Don't worry about the other puppy the breeder will sell it as is or get the cherry eye fixed he will figure out how to make money on her.

So get ready for the big adventure! Here is some great reading while you wait.

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/content.php?543-I-Am-Your-Puppy

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/c...-Nose-Ropes-Folds-Paws-Tail-Pockets-and-Vulva

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/c...You-should-have-if-you-own-an-English-Bulldog

Thank you for the links!! Every bit of information helps! (and thanks for the support to you and everyone here as well!)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.