Pup isn't even home yet, and already has cherry eye

AngAngeles13

Jul 18, 2013
Dallas, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Khaleesi
:( I know this is a common problem, and can be fixed easily....she is only 8 weeks old right now. We are due to pick her up weekend after next.
I have read that some people believe that cherry eye is a result of a parasite? (I'm not sure how true that is)
The breeder says she will take $100 off for us having to treat it, but I"m worried about what happens in the mean time and if we should be concerned about overall health because of this?
Gah! I"m so sad!! :*(

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Awe that's a real bummer!!! No offense to your breeder, but $100 off is a rip off for a known issue. It will possibly be $500 for surgery when your baby is old enough to get it done, and all the ointments and vet visit costs before and after. It's also possible for it to go away completely but unlikely.

No it's not a major issue but they can sometimes get infected and you will want to wait a little if possible to have the surgery done. If one has pooped out at this young of an age it's likely they both will.

They can be caused by an eye injury (which is very possible in a rowdy litter of pups) but usually it's due to the strength of the third eyelid muscle.

I have never heard of them being caused by a parasite.

Check out the article on cherry eye too.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

OP
AngAngeles13

AngAngeles13

Jul 18, 2013
Dallas, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Khaleesi
kahleesi eye (100x75).jpg here is the pic she sent me. This is the first pic we have seen this close up of her in the past couple of weeks. We have tons of videos of the litter and her fat little body, etc. But nothing this close up in a while. Now (in typical fashion) I'm wondering if I am seeing things.....Does her eye look like it's been crusty with puss? Does that look like a tear stain already forming....etc..I think the $100 is a bad deal too, even without knowing exactly how much this will cost. I'm going to contact our vet tomorrow and see what she says and go from there. We are already so attached to this dog....don't want to over react, but also don't want to get taken.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
View attachment 51016 here is the pic she sent me. This is the first pic we have seen this close up of her in the past couple of weeks. We have tons of videos of the litter and her fat little body, etc. But nothing this close up in a while. Now (in typical fashion) I'm wondering if I am seeing things.....Does her eye look like it's been crusty with puss? Does that look like a tear stain already forming....etc..I think the $100 is a bad deal too, even without knowing exactly how much this will cost. I'm going to contact our vet tomorrow and see what she says and go from there. We are already so attached to this dog....don't want to over react, but also don't want to get taken.

I can't blame you, I would certainly not give her up for it... she's precious!

I cannot see the photo, it won't get bigger?

If they are not willing to work with you futher than $100.... look at it from this perspective. If you would have brought her home and then the cherry eye happened, likely they would not even cover it all since it can be common in bullies. Certainly talk to your vet, I'm just going by pricing in my area. It could be much less where you live.

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
Oh she is cute. But I totally agree with desertskybulldogs $100 off for a known health issue is not enough for the vet bills you will get to correct the eye. I would talk to the breeder's vet get an estimate from their vet and your vet for the surgery and then come to an agreement on the cost.

OP
AngAngeles13

AngAngeles13

Jul 18, 2013
Dallas, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Khaleesi
She is definitely a cutie! Is it rude to ask the breeder for an estimate from her own vet?

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
I dont think so it just shows you are doing your best to take care of the health issue as soon as she is old enough. Most will wait to correct cherry eye with the neuter/ spay surgery.

OP
AngAngeles13

AngAngeles13

Jul 18, 2013
Dallas, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Khaleesi
Thank you Ashleym. I have read that too. In order to only have anesthesia once, if I remember correctly.

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
Thank you Ashleym. I have read that too. In order to only have anesthesia once, if I remember correctly.
Yes that is correct. When we got Fergus he had an umbilical hernia which is common in puppies and we did not think twice. Our breeder did offer to pay for the surgery if it was needed at her vet (Dr. Butchko). The offer was put in writing in the contract. His hernia shrank so no surgery was needed. I would think a good breeder would offer to cover the cost for the repair.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I would agree with what others have said. A reputable breeder would work with you to have it taken care of and not just give you $100 off as they most likely already know what the true cost would be and are trying to take advantage of you because they probably think you are uneducated about the breed which you definately are not.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi and welcome, just wanted to welcome you on EBN. You've got great advice already from everyone above, and especially Lisa. I agree $100 doesn't seem adequate for the surgery needed to repair cherry eye. She should pay for the whole surgery or take the price of the surgery off the asking price of the puppy. I bought two EB siblings in Feb 2012, they are now 17 months old. When My female Blossom was 5 months old, her right eye developed cherry eye, and at first I was able to massage it back in, but over time it just kept popping back out. I talked to our vet about it and she recommended waiting until we spayed her and do both surgeries at the same time to minimize having to do two surgeries and being put under anesthetic twice, plus she was too young. I used Refresh eye drops in her eyes until we were able to repair it, to avoid the eye drying out, she never developed an infection, or irritation from it. When she was 7 months old, we had her spayed and had her eye repaired at the same time. The surgeries went great, and her eye was tacked or stitched back in rather than removing the third eyelid. We are very happy with the results. But what I didn't know was that if one eye comes out then usually or very often the other eye will come out as well. Exactly a week later, and on the day that we went back to the vet for a follow up appointment or a post surgical checkup, Blossoms left eye popped out and it was much bigger than the first cherry eye, it covered almost half of her eye, the first one was mostly in the corner. We had a second surgery a month later to repair the eye, and used the drops again in the meantime. Second surgery was just a successful as the first and it's been 10 months and no problems. The only thing was that the first surgery was $850 for the spay and cherry eye repair, and the second surgery for just the cherry eye repair cost $980, the reason the second surgery was more expensive is because spay surgery is a discounted surgery due to the fact that they want to encourage people to spay/ neuter their pets, and also because she was already under the anesthetic, so the eye surgery is then considered a secondary surgery. With the second surgery we had to pay for the anesthetic again, the IV fluids, the post- op care at the vets office, and the pain medications as well. So it's best to wait until she's older, and see if both eyes develop it, and then do the surgery at the same time as the spay, because you'll minimize the risk of doing two surgeries, and you will also save money by doing them all at once. The breeder should take the price of the surgery that your vet will charge, off the price of the puppy, or offer to have her eye repaired at her expense by her vet when the pup is older, and make sure you have this in writing in the purchase agreement. Your puppy is very cute, and you must be very excited about getting her. Keep us posted on what the breeder says, and looking forward to seeing future pictures of your new baby.

TubbysMom

Community Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Country
Toronto, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby
I have to agree with the others $100 is a drop in the bucket for what you're going to have to pay. For Tubby's we paid $2300. Keep in mind though the breeder sent him to us with a heart murmur so I opted for an ophthalmologist who performed the surgery with an anesthesiologist present to monitor Tubbs while he was under.

I would think if this breeder was serious they would cover the cost. I would shop around though for estimates. I don't blame you I wouldn't want to trade her either she is a cutie pie to the max! I have a soft spot for white bullies :luv:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
The gang has you covered.... good luck with everything --- your baby is adorable!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online