Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Pup isn't even home yet, and already has cherry eye

Hi and welcome, just wanted to welcome you on EBN. You've got great advice already from everyone above, and especially Lisa. I agree $100 doesn't seem adequate for the surgery needed to repair cherry eye. She should pay for the whole surgery or take the price of the surgery off the asking price of the puppy. I bought two EB siblings in Feb 2012, they are now 17 months old. When My female Blossom was 5 months old, her right eye developed cherry eye, and at first I was able to massage it back in, but over time it just kept popping back out. I talked to our vet about it and she recommended waiting until we spayed her and do both surgeries at the same time to minimize having to do two surgeries and being put under anesthetic twice, plus she was too young. I used Refresh eye drops in her eyes until we were able to repair it, to avoid the eye drying out, she never developed an infection, or irritation from it. When she was 7 months old, we had her spayed and had her eye repaired at the same time. The surgeries went great, and her eye was tacked or stitched back in rather than removing the third eyelid. We are very happy with the results. But what I didn't know was that if one eye comes out then usually or very often the other eye will come out as well. Exactly a week later, and on the day that we went back to the vet for a follow up appointment or a post surgical checkup, Blossoms left eye popped out and it was much bigger than the first cherry eye, it covered almost half of her eye, the first one was mostly in the corner. We had a second surgery a month later to repair the eye, and used the drops again in the meantime. Second surgery was just a successful as the first and it's been 10 months and no problems. The only thing was that the first surgery was $850 for the spay and cherry eye repair, and the second surgery for just the cherry eye repair cost $980, the reason the second surgery was more expensive is because spay surgery is a discounted surgery due to the fact that they want to encourage people to spay/ neuter their pets, and also because she was already under the anesthetic, so the eye surgery is then considered a secondary surgery. With the second surgery we had to pay for the anesthetic again, the IV fluids, the post- op care at the vets office, and the pain medications as well. So it's best to wait until she's older, and see if both eyes develop it, and then do the surgery at the same time as the spay, because you'll minimize the risk of doing two surgeries, and you will also save money by doing them all at once. The breeder should take the price of the surgery that your vet will charge, off the price of the puppy, or offer to have her eye repaired at her expense by her vet when the pup is older, and make sure you have this in writing in the purchase agreement. Your puppy is very cute, and you must be very excited about getting her. Keep us posted on what the breeder says, and looking forward to seeing future pictures of your new baby.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Stephanie
    Country
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tubby
    Likes (Received)

I have to agree with the others $100 is a drop in the bucket for what you're going to have to pay. For Tubby's we paid $2300. Keep in mind though the breeder sent him to us with a heart murmur so I opted for an ophthalmologist who performed the surgery with an anesthesiologist present to monitor Tubbs while he was under.

I would think if this breeder was serious they would cover the cost. I would shop around though for estimates. I don't blame you I wouldn't want to trade her either she is a cutie pie to the max! I have a soft spot for white bullies

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

The gang has you covered.... good luck with everything --- your baby is adorable!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Khaleesi
    Likes (Received)

Well, we got two estimates today. One from our local vet that we would be using regularly, and one from a friend who is a vet in the next town from us. Both were right around the $1000 mark. (Only to tack it down, not for full blown surgery) I'm wringing my hands trying to work up the nerve on negotiating with the breeder. (yes, I am a wuss)

Doggie Boutique Owner christyjulene's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christy
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abbey
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by AngAngeles13 View Post
    Well, we got two estimates today. One from our local vet that we would be using regularly, and one from a friend who is a vet in the next town from us. Both were right around the $1000 mark. (Only to tack it down, not for full blown surgery) I'm wringing my hands trying to work up the nerve on negotiating with the breeder. (yes, I am a wuss)
    You need to remember that it is not just the $1000 dollars, there is the meds until surgery, there are pre-op and post-op visits, meds after surgery, so I would add another $300 at least for these services.

She is precious! Is there another puppy in the litter that you might consider? Another litter coming up? This is the dog that you will be loving and caring for for the next 12-14 years this has to be the right decision. You need to feel good about this. Don't let the breeder Bully you!
    Abbey is looking for a forever home

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AngAngeles13 View Post
    Good luck working it out... If it goes badly just consider, this is the person who is supposed to be there for you, there should be love for the pup and trust between you both- I don't envy your position.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fergus
    Likes (Received)

@AngAngeles13 Getting a bully is a huge financial and emotional commitment. Something you might consider not even sure if this is even possible. When you get your pup you can always sign up for Pet insurance (highly recommended IMO) on the day you get your pup. You need to read the fine print on the policy usually there is a clause for pre existing conditions. Call the insurance companies and see what they say about coverage on a new puppy. Remember to tell them you have not gotten the puppy yet. If they say they would cover the cherry eye just tell the breeder to cover the cost of the deductible and a bit more for medication.

Good luck she is really cute but the breeder is hoping you dont do your homework and will just take the $100. A good breeder would want her pups to go to a good home vs how much money they can make.
    Last edited by Ashleym; 08-05-2013 at 08:04 PM.

Doggie Boutique Owner christyjulene's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christy
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abbey
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ashleym View Post
    @AngAngeles13 Getting a bully is a huge financial and emotional commitment. Something you might consider not even sure if this is even possible. When you get your pup you can always sign up for Pet insurance (highly recommended IMO) on the day you get your pup. You need to read the fine print on the policy usually there is a clause for pre existing conditions. Call the insurance companies and see what they say about coverage on a new puppy. Remember to tell them you have not gotten the puppy yet. If they say they would cover the cherry eye just tell the breeder to cover the cost of the deductible and a bit more for medication.

Good luck she is really cute but the breeder is hoping you dont do your homework and will just take the $100. A good breeder would want her pups to go to a good home vs how much money they can make.
    I just read the fine print on my insurance policy and in this case the cherry eye would not be covered, so be very careful.
    Abbey is looking for a forever home

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Khaleesi
    Likes (Received)

After talking with the breeder about the issue some more, we were just really feeling weird about the whole thing. Not about the pup, but about the breeder. I felt a little like it wasn't the pup's health or well being that was being made the most important, and that worried me.. (we have never seen the facility etc in person because they are so far away) So after really talking it out and wringing our hands a lot about it, we decided to pass on this particular pup. (and this breeder) We figured losing our deposit would still be less of a blow than surgery (and a possible surgery if the second eye goes) Not that it couldn't have still happened down the road anyhow, but that's a possibility vs a definite. While all of this was going on, I was looking at puppies early yesterday morning ...and saw a pup that was born the day before this one. After we decided to pass on pup #1, I mentioned it to my husband, and we decided to hop in the car and go see her since she is only 1 hour away vs. 8 hours away like the other. I felt really good that when I called this breeder and asked if I could come in the next hour, she was happy for us to come out right then. (She said you will have to excuse the mess, because I clean up after the dogs late at night) When we got there, it was an awesome place (with hardly a mess at all!) We were both impressed with the breeder, with the parents, and with her other dogs as well...and the pup she had was just the funniest little thing with a huge personality. We stayed there for almost an hour...and we couldn't help ourselves.....we decided to go forward. So while I'm really happy about the new pup, I'm struggling with letting the first pup go because even though I had never seen her in person, I was already attached. And now I'm worried about her finding a good home too. I hope this doesn't make me the worst pre-bully mom ever.
    Last edited by AngAngeles13; 08-07-2013 at 02:03 PM.

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

No not at all, it's better to make this decision now before you've seen her, and really grown attached to her, and also if you had bad vibes about the breeder, and her best interests in her litter, then again best to find that out now. I don't think you should lose your deposit though, especially since the puppy already had a pre existing problem before she left the breeder. The other breeder seems like a better choice, and more reasonable, and it helps that she lives closer to you, so you were able to see where your bully came from, the conditions of where they live, and the parents, and also to meet the people who handle these pups so you get an idea of how they raise the pups, and you can actually play with the pups and ask questions. It sounds like you made a good choice, and will be happier with your decision in the end. I'm happy you found your new baby, and it must be very exciting, but the wait will seem like forever. Looking forward to pictures and future stories when you get her.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

The New Casper Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Todd
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harlea
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

I do not think you are a bad pre-bully momma. You had to make a tough decision with a bad situation all around. I agree that you shouldn't have lost your deposit either due to the pre-existing condition. Sounds like the original breeder is a bit shaky if you ask me.
    Last edited by Marine91; 08-07-2013 at 07:14 AM. Reason: typo
    Bulldogs are like potato chips. You just can't stop with one.

Real Name
    Simon
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Walley-Bubba aka Wooley Bulley aka Walter! aka Landi!!
    Likes (Received)

It's a good idea to get a gentics test before settling on a particular pup.
    A reputable breader will not object to being asked.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads