Help Needed! Eye infections/ulcers/Allergies out of control/now puking??

theparrisfive

Sep 16, 2011
Northwest Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
[h=5]Has anyone dealt with eye ulcers before? Tanks allergies have been out of control and he now has his second eye infection. He wouldn't open the one eye all the way yesterday and when we went to the vet yesterday afternoon she found a ulcer on his left eye. She put him on 4 different meds (prednisone, Tramadol, Tobramycin Ophth drops and Optimmune) and we have to go back in a week for check up and to discuss a new allergy medication. His tear test came back a 5 in the eye with the ulcer and a 10 in the other eye she said normal is 15. Pressure is fine in both eyes but the one with the ulcer is a tad swollen. His eyes have a bluish tent right now but she said his vision seems fine once she got them cleaned out and numbed. She said the swelling is from the type of infection he has (cant remember the name) and the dry eye could be due to infection and ulcer so we are hoping the dry eye is temporary. Has anyone else dealt with a ulcer and was there any adverse effects later on from it and did the medications help get rid of the ulcer in your bully? Also has anyone had temporary dry eye from infection and ulcer or was it permanent for your bully?
[/h]If it is permanent dry eye what do you use for your bullys? Is there anything other than the Optimmune that you can use? This itty bitty tube cost us 55 dollars and we have to use it twice a day. If its needed we will get it no matter the cost for him but if its permanent im hoping for a cheaper solution since hes also going to be on a different allergy med or shot starting next week.

This is the first time Tank has been on the Tramadol and today (first dose since she numbed him at the appt) he puked up the tramadol a couple minutes after giving it to him. He is currently not really eating so his stomach was empty but he also hates meds and you have to put them down his throat so could this be a him being a brat or it not agreeing with him? He is normally on Carprofen as a pain med but his vet said she didnt want him using it while on the prednisone.

He doesnt have any other issues except for major allergies. As soon as her receptionist saw tank (they know him pretty well) she had the vet look at him right away cause he was not excited to be there as usual and that scared them so the vet tested him for other infection and illnesses. Shes also suggesting a dermatologist with the thought that maybe they would be able to do more with the allergies. He has had allergy testing done. He is allergic to dust, mold, pollen, grass, cat dander (which we have 3 :/),poultry and grains. We have also found that he is allergic to some household cleaners and laundry detergent so we make sure to stick with the ones that he is fine with. He is on Fromms Beef Fritata food Allergy symptoms range from being red,rash, pimply red chin, watery nose, Hives, itching, eye allergies and massive licking. We have tried benedryl now he is on Chlorpheneramine and we are looking into Atopia. For those with Bullys with massive allergies what are they on?

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
First of all I'm so sorry to hear about Tank's issues... Bella used to get eye ulcers at least a couple of times a year, and she would get prednisone, atropine & tri-optic ointment for her eyes. I never had her tested, but we were getting to that point... The bluish tint is normal, Bella would get that too. The eyes are pretty quick healers from what I understand... The meds would work fine on her, but she would rub her face in the carpet (or use her paws) because of her allergy issues. I don't know anything about dry eyes. I use the greenies Pill Pockets for meds (we use peanut butter) or you could roll them in a piece of cheese. I'm sure others have dealt w/more severe cases than mine... Sorry... Good luck & keep us posted!!!

OP
theparrisfive

theparrisfive

Sep 16, 2011
Northwest Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
My girl took atopica and ketoconazole, about $100/ mo for allergies...

Did they work for your bully and any side effects etc at first? We are at our wits end. 100$ a month would be nothing compared to what we are spending in vet costs due to secondary infections because of allergies. We are hoping something starts working soon for his comfort and our bank account. Our vet did mention possibly redoing the allergy testing cause it was done by his previous vet shes wondering if something was missed since obviously something is still going on. She said even with having cats his allergies shouldnt be this bad.

First of all I'm so sorry to hear about Tank's issues... Bella used to get eye ulcers at least a couple of times a year, and she would get prednisone, atropine & tri-optic ointment for her eyes. I never had her tested, but we were getting to that point... The bluish tint is normal, Bella would get that too. The eyes are pretty quick healers from what I understand... The meds would work fine on her, but she would rub her face in the carpet (or use her paws) because of her allergy issues. I don't know anything about dry eyes. I use the greenies Pill Pockets for meds (we use peanut butter) or you could roll them in a piece of cheese. I'm sure others have dealt w/more severe cases than mine... Sorry... Good luck & keep us posted!!!

We have tried everything to give his meds easily to him. we have tried yogurt, peanut butter, cheese, hotdogs, applesauce, cottage cheese, cool whip, the pill pockets, soft dog food etc and each time he will play with the food in his mouth, spit out the pill and eat what it was put in. We have even tried crushing the pills that can be crushed and he seems to even be able to find it that way! It stinks cause he gets allergy pills twice a day then his heart worm pill once a month then his pain med when his leg acts up.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
My boxer is a little sneaky about the pills as well... she would keep it in her mouth, and we would find it on the floor later. Ugh... We got this thing called a Pill Popper @PetSmart. You put the pill in it, and it shoots it real fast to the back of her throat. We hold her head up & rub her chin till she licks a lot, then we know that she finally swallowed the darn thing.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
You might try Fromm's new Pork & Peas, a slow transition of course. It takes
about a month for old food to clear the system.

Refresh Liquigel by Allergan, sold at Walmart, should be helpful for dry eye.

I give Cami her allergy pill underneath her kibble, deep enough that she eats
a couple of bites then isn't cautious and usually doesn't notice the pill.

Find a locally made honey (you might can get him to take a pill in it) and give
1 teasp am & 1 teasp before bed. There are homeopathic remedies that work
really great too. Pro & prebiotics will build up his immune system...let us know!

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
Has anyone dealt with eye ulcers before? Tanks allergies have been out of control and he now has his second eye infection. He wouldn't open the one eye all the way yesterday and when we went to the vet yesterday afternoon she found a ulcer on his left eye. She put him on 4 different meds (prednisone, Tramadol, Tobramycin Ophth drops and Optimmune) and we have to go back in a week for check up and to discuss a new allergy medication. His tear test came back a 5 in the eye with the ulcer and a 10 in the other eye she said normal is 15. Pressure is fine in both eyes but the one with the ulcer is a tad swollen. His eyes have a bluish tent right now but she said his vision seems fine once she got them cleaned out and numbed. She said the swelling is from the type of infection he has (cant remember the name) and the dry eye could be due to infection and ulcer so we are hoping the dry eye is temporary. Has anyone else dealt with a ulcer and was there any adverse effects later on from it and did the medications help get rid of the ulcer in your bully? Also has anyone had temporary dry eye from infection and ulcer or was it permanent for your bully?

If it is permanent dry eye what do you use for your bullys? Is there anything other than the Optimmune that you can use? This itty bitty tube cost us 55 dollars and we have to use it twice a day. If its needed we will get it no matter the cost for him but if its permanent im hoping for a cheaper solution since hes also going to be on a different allergy med or shot starting next week.

This is the first time Tank has been on the Tramadol and today (first dose since she numbed him at the appt) he puked up the tramadol a couple minutes after giving it to him. He is currently not really eating so his stomach was empty but he also hates meds and you have to put them down his throat so could this be a him being a brat or it not agreeing with him? He is normally on Carprofen as a pain med but his vet said she didnt want him using it while on the prednisone.

He doesnt have any other issues except for major allergies. As soon as her receptionist saw tank (they know him pretty well) she had the vet look at him right away cause he was not excited to be there as usual and that scared them so the vet tested him for other infection and illnesses. Shes also suggesting a dermatologist with the thought that maybe they would be able to do more with the allergies. He has had allergy testing done. He is allergic to dust, mold, pollen, grass, cat dander (which we have 3 :/),poultry and grains. We have also found that he is allergic to some household cleaners and laundry detergent so we make sure to stick with the ones that he is fine with. He is on Fromms Beef Fritata food Allergy symptoms range from being red,rash, pimply red chin, watery nose, Hives, itching, eye allergies and massive licking. We have tried benedryl now he is on Chlorpheneramine and we are looking into Atopia. For those with Bullys with massive allergies what are they on?

The Tramadol is the only part of this that I am familiar with. It is a very effective pain med which can upset the stomach. It is a very bitter medication when crushed. Try and get him to eat cheese, cottage cheese, bananas, yogurt, or peanut butter. Anything right now that you can get down her that will stay down, enough to coat her stomach like a 1/2 cup of anything and then push the Tramadol down. What tends to happen is that they get caught up in a nasty pain cycle. They hurt so they don't eat. Then the pain meds don't stay down because they haven't eaten. Then the pain gets worse. Then they don't eat. and on and on and on. Then they can't heal as well.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Ask your vet about a serum they make from the bullies blood, if he doesn't know anything about it, call around until you find one that does and have them make it for you. The ulcer will be gone a lot faster that way.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i cannot comment on the eyes and such but i can comment on the food. fromm beef frittata has so many things in it your bully could be allergic to and with all those symptoms i would try a very limited ingredient food. i has sarah tested as well and she is allergic to some things it says she wasnt. i am now doing a bit of home cooking to rule out allergens so i can better pick a food. you can try the pork and peas or natures variety has several limited ingredient foods as does pure vita. if i have trouble giving sarah a pill peanut butter usually does the trick. once i get it in her mouth she cannot get the pill out of it and has to swallow it. also if i give sarah a pill i do it right before she eats as she is more hungry and less likely to not eat it but if your baby feels bad it might not make a difference. perhaps see if he will eat some home cooking such as beef and sweet potato or beef and peas to get his appetite going and perhaps helps his allergies till you can find a food. you could also try some fish or pork. if he keeps throwing up the tramadol perhaps you may need to ask the vet for another med for him. :hug: to you

OP
theparrisfive

theparrisfive

Sep 16, 2011
Northwest Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
He has been sleeping all day no food at all today so far and its 6:16 pm. We plan on running to the store later so ill pick up some meat then and see if I can get him to eat. All this over his eyes :(

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
He has been sleeping all day no food at all today so far and its 6:16 pm. We plan on running to the store later so ill pick up some meat then and see if I can get him to eat. All this over his eyes :(

Just thought of something to help w/taking meds...freeze his fav treat w/meds in it.

​I know all this is draining, emotionally, financially, etc...hang in there, praying over y'all.

OP
theparrisfive

theparrisfive

Sep 16, 2011
Northwest Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
We got him to eat about a quater to a half a cup of food. Gave his meds to him about 15 minutes ago so far nothing is coming back up *crosses fingers* hes not wanting to open his eyes and when he does its a squint. I wish I could do more for him :(. He keeps wanting to scratch his face but we are trying to stop him before he does. He hasn't had allergy meds today which isn't helping. But we were afraid they'd make him sick as those do upset the belly without food. Hopefully we can get him to eat more in the morning so he can have his allergy meds along with the new meds. All he has been primarily doing is sleeping. He didn't even want to go for a car ride with us earlier which has never happened before. Usually he makes sure he is the first through the door so he doesn't get left behind so we know he isn't feeling good at all. :(

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Awe poor boy... Great advice above. I'm a bit surprised they did not prescribe neo poly dex ointment. The drops are good but they go away so fast, the ointment stays in longer. I sure hope he feels better tomorrow, he's in a lot of pain. :hug:

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
The blood serum and triple antibiotic ointment have been helping Brie's ulcers heal, but she also had to have cryosurgery. the hairs on the inside of her eyelids were causing the ulcers. I'm assuming the vet did not see any hairs w tank?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.