General Question Dog Colour versus Allergies?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, everyone, I was wondering if the colour of your dog makes a difference in allergies? Are white furred dogs more sensitive or susceptible to allergies or do allergies just up show more on their skin because they are white, and tend to have more pinkish skin? My female Blossom is all white, except for some brown markings on her back, her face is all white, and so far we have found out she doesn't tolerate chicken, salmon, grains and corn, she will get a pink face and chin, pink warm ears, and I have to give her Benadryl. Dozer doesn't seem to have any skin issues, he does sometimes get runny eyes, just clear though, no eye boogies or goop, just clear, sometimes just wet in the corners of his eyes, and after he plays really hard with Blossom, or if he gets really excited, especially with the warmer weather, the whites of his eyes get red, like they are bloodshot, but as soon As he settles down, they go back to normal. Is this an allergy reaction or is it normal after playing?

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I've been wondering the same thing... Bella was more red, and I never noticed the tear staining w/her so I'm thinking that maybe it's more prevalent on the white faced bullies. Winston still has eye staining on his white side, but the brindle side isn't bad at all. Winston's eyes get red when he plays too... I think that's just a normal thing!!! LOL

Last edited:

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Winston's eyes get red when he plays too... I think that's just a normal thing!!! LOL

I have noticed this with Harlea as well. Her eyes get a little red when she plays and I asked the vet about and he said it had to do with additional blood flowing to the area when they are extremely active. I have to agree with the assessment being looking at her after about 5 minutes of settling down her eyes are bright white again. As for skin color I don't know what to say as Harlea has a naturally light pink face and neck at all times and has been that way since the day she was born.

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Well if they have a white face the tear staining will show more not necessarily that they have more. I have heard but don't know if its factual that the so called blue coated dogs have more skin issues. The Vet also told me that the brindle in Ace would help in skin issues

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I do think there is something to this theory, though not entirely true.

In a piebald sometimes the white coat even feels different than any colored patches, especially brindle.

But I also think the white coat just shows more.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I agree... Winston's white hair is super soft, but the brindle areas are very coarse like horsehair!!! LOL

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Jusat as in humnas... all the reactions are different. As you stated, Banks is all white with brindle marking, the fur all feels the same, but when she has a reaction to something it is APPARENT! With Nithscke, he was red/white... the red fur was very course and thicker... his whte fur very soft and thinner. His reactions were not as apparent and we needed to pay more attention to see if something was bothering his skin.

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
That is a really I retesting question to look into. I'm not sure where Brie would fall in being brown n white. Her face has brown n black and shows tear stains but I think that is from all the medicines. On her chin- which is white- the acne has seem to cleared up but I do noticed her chin get red at times after pay or drinking. We ave been lucky so far w no other skin issues.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.