Other How to combat a smelly/yeasty pooch.

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
How to combat a smelly/itchy/yeasty pooch.

Good morning! We've recently been having some issue with Remi regarding allergies + yeast, and we have discovered a few things that have worked really well for us and wanted to share.

When Remi turned 1, weird stuff started happening. He needed 2 benedryl every morning just to be comfortable.

• His allergies flared up
  • he started getting chronic ear infections
  • his feet smelled like fritos with sores between his toes
  • his face smelled like butt, and...
  • he was scratching nonstop and always butt scooting.

After a trip to the vet to diagnose the first ear infection, and when he immediately got second one in the other ear, I knew I had to make some changes. I've done several easy things that has literally improved him by 80% in a matter of days:

1. We began the switch from NVI's limited diet lamb to Fromm's Pork and Peas. He's currently on 50/50 split. The improvement in him is ridiculous already.
  2. We bathed Remi in Duoxo's PS Shampoo, leaving the lather on for 5 minutes. Itching instantly stopped.
  3. We used Duoxo pads to clean between Remi's toes
  4. We use vetericyn to clean his face and after we dry thoroughly, we add baby powder between Remi's wrinkles to keep him dry.
  5. We are using ear medicine to clean up his ear infection

Just doing these 5 things have given us amazing results. He no longer needs benedryl.

Last edited:

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
That is some great news. I am glad to hear Remi is feeling better and not scratching as much! WTG

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
Thanks for sharing. Just yesterday, saw Dudley's feet are red between the toes and the pads. I immediately ran for the Duoxo pads too! I also had switched him over to Fromm Pork & Peas; he's on 50-50 right now with his old food. He didn't have the yeast issues and his wrinkles are really good, but I was concerned because the food he was on had chicken in it and I've read so much here, I switched! Thanks for sharing. :2thumbs:

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Thanks for sharing this... and I'm so glad to hear Remi is doing better :D

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I'm so glad to hear that Remi is feeling better, and your remedies and efforts are working. Good job Mommy. Thanks for sharing what has worked for you.

My female Blossom has all the sensitivities and allergy problems, Dozer hasn't had any reactions to anything, and seems to have a cast iron stomach, especially for socks. I wonder if all white or mostly white dogs have more allergy or sensitivity issues than other dogs. Blossom is mostly white with brown markings on her back, and Dozer is all brown.

Last month when I took them both to the vets for their parvovirus booster shot, and for blood tests for Heart worm, we got their meds for Heart worm, fleas and ticks, and the vet did an exam. She found some red stains in her pads of her paw on her right back leg. She gave me some solution to soak her foot in, but it doesn't seem to really be clearing it up, I've been using apple cider vinegar, but it's still there. I want to try the Duoxo pads, where can you buy these? At the vets, or drugstore? We feed both of them Fromms Beef Frittata, due to Blossoms allergies to chicken and salmon, grains and corn. A couple of months ago, I thought I might try another flavour of Fromms to give them some variety, I couldn't use the chicken, or the salmon veg, and here in Canada they don't sell the pork and peas flavour, we have the pork and applesauce which isn't a grain free food, so we tried the duck and turkey, within 24 hours Blossom was a mess again, she immediately started with red chin, face, and eyes, her ears were pink and warm, and she got the diarrhea the next day, I switched her back to the Beef, and she's okay again, so for now I don't want to change her foods. I'll just have to stick to what works for her. But I'm very interested in trying the Duoxo pads. Now if I could just get rid of her tear stains.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
So glad he's improving. It's amazing if you have the right products to combat these problems and douxo is one of the best! And finding the right food is key!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Hi, I'm so glad to hear that Remi is feeling better, and your remedies and efforts are working. Good job Mommy. Thanks for sharing what has worked for you.

My female Blossom has all the sensitivities and allergy problems, Dozer hasn't had any reactions to anything, and seems to have a cast iron stomach, especially for socks. I wonder if all white or mostly white dogs have more allergy or sensitivity issues than other dogs. Blossom is mostly white with brown markings on her back, and Dozer is all brown.

Last month when I took them both to the vets for their parvovirus booster shot, and for blood tests for Heart worm, we got their meds for Heart worm, fleas and ticks, and the vet did an exam. She found some red stains in her pads of her paw on her right back leg. She gave me some solution to soak her foot in, but it doesn't seem to really be clearing it up, I've been using apple cider vinegar, but it's still there. I want to try the Duoxo pads, where can you buy these? At the vets, or drugstore? We feed both of them Fromms Beef Frittata, due to Blossoms allergies to chicken and salmon, grains and corn. A couple of months ago, I thought I might try another flavour of Fromms to give them some variety, I couldn't use the chicken, or the salmon veg, and here in Canada they don't sell the pork and peas flavour, we have the pork and applesauce which isn't a grain free food, so we tried the duck and turkey, within 24 hours Blossom was a mess again, she immediately started with red chin, face, and eyes, her ears were pink and warm, and she got the diarrhea the next day, I switched her back to the Beef, and she's okay again, so for now I don't want to change her foods. I'll just have to stick to what works for her. But I'm very interested in trying the Duoxo pads. Now if I could just get rid of her tear stains.
I ordered the Duoxo pads on Amazon... they seem to really help Winston w/the tear staining & the neck stain!!!

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Duoxo+pads

TomVan

Jun 5, 2013
Missouri
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bailey & Zoey
Yes, great info, thanks! I'm glad to hear Remi is doing better! Get Well soon Remi.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i am so glad your baby is doing better. the right food is so important when having yeast issues. i have long recommended duoxo ps shampoo and pads for yeast as they have helped sarah so much and most of that stuff you listed i recommend so thank you for posting this. :)

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
THANK YOU for posting this, Jane! My feed store is finally going to be stocking the Fromm's Pork and Peas this coming week and will call me when it comes in. Finn's on the same food Remi was on...the LID Lamb NVI...so i want to transition him to the Fromm too. Very encouraging to hear how well Remi's doing! Keep up the great work, mommy (and Remi)!

OP
ModernFemme

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Thanks for all the warm compliments! Remi is doing awesome and wasn't terribly uncomfortable. It was a pretty mild form of allergies/yeast but I just spend so much time with him and notice pretty much any change in his behavior. My advice to anyone dealing with this is to try to catch it early so you can cut it off before it really gets out of hand.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
GREAT WORK MOMMA! Being in tune to what little things change will make all the differnece in your baby!

Thanks for sharing all this great and easy info!

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online