Help Needed! Something wrong behind

Jonel

Jun 27, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sherman
Sherman is having a strange problem. He is moving around quickly then sitting down fast. His rear is down a bit. Yesterday we noticed some red bumps on his lower belly and inside of legs. Benedryl took care of that. I clean his tail pocket and nothing looked odd. Can't tell about anal glands, would I be able to tell if that was the problem? Everything else is normal. Poo is fine and he has a good appetite. Maybe flea bite allergy. He is on medicine but he does love to lay in the grass. At a loss and I am going away for a few days and someone is watching him. Should I be concerned?

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
With Vegas I know his anal glands are full when he starts scooting his butt across my area rug. He has had to have them internally expressed since he was a pup. I have noticed it happens on an average about every 6 weeks that he needs to have them done.

4WHLN

"Hit me baby one more time!"
Dec 4, 2011
Baton Rouge, La
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Dooley Bulldogs
I just took (Monday) Dooley to the vet because he was acting tho he was very uncomfortable in the butt area. He would sit and get right back up. Circle a couple times and try to sit again only to get frustrated and growl a little. He was also trying to sit differently so off to the vet we went. They said his glands were FULL and making him very uncomfortable. He is only 15 weeks old.
So maybe its the anal glands.

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
Just saw the post about Sherman (great name). Everyone thinks anal glands. Dudley is 2 and 1/2 -- not had an issue with this...at least I don't think I have!? I would know, right? Do all bulldogs have this? His vet has never mentioned it (a bulldog vet) and I've never seen Dudley do any scooting or anything. I want to be sure I'm taking good care of my boy!

Jackieshoes

Sep 30, 2012
Mississippi
Bulldog(s) Names
Dexter
I found out about them when I too Dexter to the vet and told them I thought he was going nuts. The vet tech said it was like a haint got a hold of him, lol. And we also know when we see the sit n spin

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Just saw the post about Sherman (great name). Everyone thinks anal glands. Dudley is 2 and 1/2 -- not had an issue with this...at least I don't think I have!? I would know, right? Do all bulldogs have this? His vet has never mentioned it (a bulldog vet) and I've never seen Dudley do any scooting or anything. I want to be sure I'm taking good care of my boy!

You would definitely know! Not all bully's have this problem, just most, lol. Your lucky Dudley does not have any problems, I have to go about every 6 weeks and it cost $17 every time I go in and a vet tech usually does them. It takes all of about 3 minuets to drain the glands. Dudley would definitely be scooting his bottom or sitting and spinning on your rugs if he had anal problems.

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
You would definitely know! Not all bully's have this problem, just most, lol. Your lucky Dudley does not have any problems, I have to go about every 6 weeks and it cost $17 every time I go in and a vet tech usually does them. It takes all of about 3 minuets to drain the glands. Dudley would definitely be scooting his bottom or sitting and spinning on your rugs if he had anal problems.

Thanks so much. I've wondered when I've seen things posted and thought I would just ask!! Knock wood, I've been so lucky with him so far! Most of the few trips I've had to make to the vet for anything other than routine has been for strained muscles (legs) or a bout of diarrhea when he got into some seawater! Thanks so much for the information! I just love EBN! :D

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
My boxer does the sit & spin as well, and I have to take her to the vets to have her anal's expressed. Winston hasn't done it yet, but I'm sure it's coming... One of the vet tech's was telling me I could do it at home, I was like... UGHhhh no Thanks!!! :eek:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Banks does this all the time too... I still after almost 8 yeasr have found no reason as to why she does it

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

$17 is a bargain our vet charged us $38.50!!!! We had the techs teach my wife how to do it. Lots of EWWWWWWW and WOWing going on! :ROFL: But it beats paying $38.50 a squeeze!! Funny thing though we had it done Saturday and he leaked in the bed on Wednesday night!

OP
Jonel

Jonel

Jun 27, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sherman
Well thanks for all the help. Actually the doc says he hurt his back somehow. She pressed in a couple of discs and he went nuts. X-ray was normal so they are treating with anti-inflamation meds. He seems better. Who knew, looked like his butt to me.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Well thanks for all the help. Actually the doc says he hurt his back somehow. She pressed in a couple of discs and he went nuts. X-ray was normal so they are treating with anti-inflamation meds. He seems better. Who knew, looked like his butt to me.
Good job taking him to the doc. Poor guy. Hope he gets all healed up.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Keeping him in prayer that he heals quickly...sending hugs to you! :hug:

Most Reactions