Lokismom

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Prescott, Wisconsin, United States
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
It wasn't the second one for sure! That made me tear up poor baby. It started like a head tremor but he did go to the ground and almost looked like he was trying to run in a way he didn't foam or drool anymore then normal I don't think. I did get some honey today and put it in my purse and our vehicles I am hoping it had something to do with his food since I was 30 mins late which never happens.

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
How scary for you and Loki. My mother has had epilepsy her whole life and each time she has a seizure its still nerve racking to us.

I hope it was a one time thing for Loki. My Lab had a bad reaction to some medication he was taking and had head tremors scared the living day lights out of me and my husband. Luckily we video taped it and showed it to the emergency vet who told us to give him honey or corn syrup.

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
It wasn't the second one for sure! That made me tear up poor baby. It started like a head tremor but he did go to the ground and almost looked like he was trying to run in a way he didn't foam or drool anymore then normal I don't think. I did get some honey today and put it in my purse and our vehicles I am hoping it had something to do with his food since I was 30 mins late which never happens.

I am sorry I know the video were tough but I wanted you to see the difference between the two. Here is an article about them. http://www.englishbulldognews.com/content.php?514-Head-Tremors-in-English-Bulldogs

OP
Lokismom

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans

alyssahope

Jul 23, 2013
Birmingham, AL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Queen Margaret May
Seizures are a furmoms worst nightmare. My first dog weighed 3.5 pounds and was a complete angel. A black Pomeranian who NEVER BARKED. Never got too excited. Cuddle monster. But he had seizures very often. They started as petit mal. We thought he was just off in his own world but he was actually having small seizures. They did get a bit worse but mostly just laying down shaking a little with some foam in his mouth. I hope your little Loki didn't have a seizure but if he did its important to make sure if it happens again or worsens that you stimulate the brain as little as possible. Low lighting. Little to no noise. As little touch as possible although if they're violent you will need to make sure he doesn't hurt himself. Keeping it calm will help his brain come out of it and not get excited. It doesn't have to be a devastating thing but it is no doubt a scary thing. Good luck!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Wow great advice above from everyone, I do hope it was a tremor. Either way, its scary. I'm sure [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] who owns Vegas will want to see this post too.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Here is a grand mal seizure, this is graphic http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p41l74tHugY

This is actually my video! This video is typical of a grand mal seizure for us. Vegas has never lost control of his bladder but he sometimes loses control of his bowels. Video like this one will help Loki's Dr diagnose him. Usually by listening to how people are describing the actions....I can tell (by comparing them to those of Vegas's) if it is indeed, without a doubt....a grand mal seizure.

With yours....I'm not so sure. One important thing that is missing is the sign of mouth foam. But...since you weren't there to witness what actually happened, it could have been present, just unnoticed.

If he was having a hard time breathing...that could easily explain the locking of the shoulder and laying down. Almost as if he sorta passes out from lack of oxygen. My PITA Orion has done this. It happened to her when she was in the "pre-throwing up" stage. The stomach rolling and rolling and rolling and rolling. She ended up passing out from no oxygen, but before she hit the ground she was already out of it. That could be a possibility. It could be a petit mal type seizure. Basically....really spaced out, but again....it doesn't sound like anything I've experienced before with Vegas.

My concern is....if he was struggling for air, why? Was he given something at the office that he could have had an allergy too? Did he come into contact with any bees? Another possibility.....did you wake him up from a dream and he was very confused and afraid? Orion will sometimes wake up with such force, catapult to her feet and be on the defense. She will bark and act frantic for no reason. It literally takes a few minutes for us to calm her down. Could this be a possibility....on top of waking up, confused and also seeing your neighbors. So much happening at once....so many actions and reactions.

It's great that he can go to work with you. If possible...I'd take him with you the rest of the week. Make him sleep next to you so you can monitor any change in breathing and can assist if something happens. And get a point and shoot camera...keep it charged and on you/next to you at all times.

Keep us posted and if you have any other questions...tag me or pM me. Good luck. Kisses to Loki.

PS....I always hold Vegas during a seizure if possible. They tend to fall to their back during a grand mal and Vegas aspirated and almost died when he was a year old. Ever since then.....I hold him upright if possible.

Last edited:

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
So Loki came to work with me yesterday he was completely fine, he didn't take his normal naps but that happens when there are a lot of people in here. On the way home I could tell that he was really tired so when we got home we did our business and I left him to go to the family garden and help my aunt. When I came home about 3 hours later something happened. I walked in the door like normal and he was sleeping in his "house" with the door open I asked him why he wasn't coming to say hi, which is very out of the ordinary for him, he got up and came out of his house but he looked very scared and almost confused then I noticed his head was shaking but the rest of his body was fine, he sound like he was having a hard time catching his breath, I felt his throat and stuck my hand in his mouth to see if there was something in there but found nothing. The then locked up his shoulder and laid down slowly but weird and continued to shake head and now his legs, he never lost eye contacts with me, (I was trying to stay calm for him but was in sheer panic mode I called the neighbors and had them come over) by the time they got there he was done shaking but he stood up and tried to hide inside of me and he peed all over me ( Loki has never peed in the house ever!) Then after he was done peeing he was totally normal like nothing happened he went and drank water, ate, went out and pooped. This whole ordeal lasted all of maybe 45 seconds to a minute but it felt like forever. He didn't get into anything and he hasn't had benedryl for over a 2 weeks now, he did have his health check up and everything was fine he was given his heartguard but that was I think 2 weeks ago.
I watched and read so much last night and it seems like it might have been a head tremor or a seizure I am not sure. I called the vet this morning and recounted the ordeal to her and she said at this point there is not much we can do other then take a look at him. He did come with me to work today and he has been very tired but playful when he needs to be and he slept really well last night. Sorry if I am all over the place or left something out:nope:
Any ideas what the hell happened to our little boy?
View attachment 50621

I have taged Cheryl @Libra 926 as she has experience with seizures, I am sorry I am no help but it must have been so scary for you and poor Loki I am just so happy he seems fine now. :assurred: for you both

OP
Lokismom

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
We have gone almost 40 hours now without incident! To answer some of the question I know he didn't eat anything or was given anything on Tuesday because there was nobody here except he and I and the doctor and lab reps. He knows to leave bugs alone he had a June bug stick to his nose once scared the crap out of him and he hasn't touched a bug since :) I keep thinking that maybe I really did scare the pee out of him since he can't usually hear me coming home unless he is watching out the window but since he was so tired I am sure that I probably just woke him up or something. He is with me at work again today and will be tomorrow and he will be with us for the rest of the weekend like normal. He sleeps in his house right next to me, last night I think I only woke up 15 times to listen to him breath he wasn't very happy that I kept putting my head in his house to listen LOL He has always been a hard sleeper and a big dreamer for sure. The video is from a few months ago but he dreams pretty big probably once a week. Thank you all for all the advice and prayers for our Little Beans it means so much to us!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky5sakYaxGc

Last edited:

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
[MENTION=9403]Lokismom[/MENTION] Brie n I will continue to send hugs n positive thoughts your way! Glad nothing else has happened!

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
Omg Loki is so cute. I love how he is alternating barking and snoring lol

alyssahope

Jul 23, 2013
Birmingham, AL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Queen Margaret May
That video is hilarious. Maggie had a big dream a couple weeks ago where she was clearly trying to run. It was hilarious. I bought her an edible bone that she devoured in about 10 minutes and she fell asleep. She i swear she was eating it in her dreams because she just kept snoring and chewing on nothing and moving her paw as if to keep the imaginary bone still. Hehe

Staff online

Members online