URGENT!!! Loki had a rough night!

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Prescott, Wisconsin, United States
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
So Loki came to work with me yesterday he was completely fine, he didn't take his normal naps but that happens when there are a lot of people in here. On the way home I could tell that he was really tired so when we got home we did our business and I left him to go to the family garden and help my aunt. When I came home about 3 hours later something happened. I walked in the door like normal and he was sleeping in his "house" with the door open I asked him why he wasn't coming to say hi, which is very out of the ordinary for him, he got up and came out of his house but he looked very scared and almost confused then I noticed his head was shaking but the rest of his body was fine, he sound like he was having a hard time catching his breath, I felt his throat and stuck my hand in his mouth to see if there was something in there but found nothing. The then locked up his shoulder and laid down slowly but weird and continued to shake head and now his legs, he never lost eye contacts with me, (I was trying to stay calm for him but was in sheer panic mode I called the neighbors and had them come over) by the time they got there he was done shaking but he stood up and tried to hide inside of me and he peed all over me ( Loki has never peed in the house ever!) Then after he was done peeing he was totally normal like nothing happened he went and drank water, ate, went out and pooped. This whole ordeal lasted all of maybe 45 seconds to a minute but it felt like forever. He didn't get into anything and he hasn't had benedryl for over a 2 weeks now, he did have his health check up and everything was fine he was given his heartguard but that was I think 2 weeks ago.
I watched and read so much last night and it seems like it might have been a head tremor or a seizure I am not sure. I called the vet this morning and recounted the ordeal to her and she said at this point there is not much we can do other then take a look at him. He did come with me to work today and he has been very tired but playful when he needs to be and he slept really well last night. Sorry if I am all over the place or left something out:nope:
Any ideas what the hell happened to our little boy?
View attachment 50621

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
I have a friend that has a neutered male English Bulldog that is 7 years old. Micky is beautiful and at 2 1/2 years old he started having seizures. He was diagnosed with a siezure disorder and has them from time to time. When Micky gets really excited he will have one. Our friend keeps him in at home and rarely takes Micky anywhere and as long as Micky stays calm you wouldn't know he has seizures. He has a medication he takes but it took the vet a little while to diagnose the problem. Micky is a large English Bully, brindle with a full white face, absolutely beautiful and happy. Just cannot take too much excitement all at once. Good luck.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Oh no poor Loki and you, it must have been really scary. It almost sounds like he had a seizure of some sort, especially with the shaking episode, and then him peeing. Hopefully it doesn't happen again, but I would definetely keep an eye on him, and have your cell phone or I Pad video camera ready to record if it happens again, then you can show it to the vet. I hope it's just a one time thing, and that Loki is okay. Keep us posted on how he's doing. Hugs, love and prayers sent to you guys.

Last edited:
OP
Lokismom

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
Part of me was thinking that maybe he didn't hear me some home and he was in such a deep sleep that I startled him and that's why it happened but nothing like this has happened to him before and I came in the same way I always do.

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
Oh no poor Loki! I've no idea what happened or no to help! Just keep alone watch on him and video it if it happens again, that way you can take it to the vet and they can see it! I hope he is ok!! And it must have been so scary for you as well. I'm so sorry!

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
Ruthie has seizures and head tremors. When she seizes, she sometimes looses control of her bowels and afterward you wouldn't even realize she had a seizure. Afterward she will drink tons of water and go to sleep since seizures are very, very taxing on the body. If it happens again I would definitely take him to the vet right away. I know I rushed Ruthie to the vet during one of hers, she was fine when she got there but they were able to take her blood and determine what was wrong with her. I hope this doesn't happen again, I understand how stressful and sad it can be.

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
My boyfriend has a beautiful, sweet Golden Retriever who takes daily meds for seizures. His head shakes and he loses control as well. He had 3 seizures I think, before my boyfriend could get him to the vet for the meds. When he had them, he always sought out my boyfriend or his son, he wanted to be around his people. They would hold him until it was over. I hope you and Loki find a solution quickly and everything is alright! Best wishes!

OP
Lokismom

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
Thanks for the feedback so far! It is such an awful thing to witness especially since he and I had no idea what was happening. I thought about scooping him up and putting him in the car but there was no way that I could have driven I was freaked out! I am hoping it was just a fluke thing since he has been completely normal since and was before.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I have had two dogs who had seizure disorders. One was a German Shepherd, one was a Belgian Malanois. The German did not have any seizure until she was a year old.Her first seizure started with staring and then convulsion-like movements. It scared me to death! Unfortunately after that first one, they got progressively worse. She was on medication, which had to keep being adjusted. She would pee and poop during these seizures. When they were over, she would wander aimlessly-I would have to try and kieep her still, but it was difficult to do it, as she couldn't help the wandering. She also would be blind for about 5 minutes afterwards. Then her sight would come back-and she would seem fine-but tired(me, too). The other dog had been knocked unconsious in rough play, and he had Petit Mal seizures every so often, which would consist of staring ahead, but having no response to anything, and then getting rubber-legged, and falling over. He did not loose control of his bowels or urine. His seizures didn't get any worse-and he only had one every few months,therefore he did not have medication. I imagine dogs who have seizures may respond to them with different actions.
I certainly agree that the BEST thing would be to video it, if he has another episode. That would certainly help your vet with a diagnoses. I am hoping for you and you baby that this was a one time thing. It is a very worrisome thing when you have a dog who has seizures. As is every thing when your babies are having problems.

OP
Lokismom

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
I have had two dogs who had seizure disorders. One was a German Shepherd, one was a Belgian Malanois. The German did not have any seizure until she was a year old.Her first seizure started with staring and then convulsion-like movements. It scared me to death! Unfortunately after that first one, they got progressively worse. She was on medication, which had to keep being adjusted. She would pee and poop during these seizures. When they were over, she would wander aimlessly-I would have to try and kieep her still, but it was difficult to do it, as she couldn't help the wandering. She also would be blind for about 5 minutes afterwards. Then her sight would come back-and she would seem fine-but tired(me, too). The other dog had been knocked unconsious in rough play, and he had Petit Mal seizures every so often, which would consist of staring ahead, but having no response to anything, and then getting rubber-legged, and falling over. He did not loose control of his bowels or urine. His seizures didn't get any worse-and he only had one every few months,therefore he did not have medication. I imagine dogs who have seizures may respond to them with different actions.
I certainly agree that the BEST thing would be to video it, if he has another episode. That would certainly help your vet with a diagnoses. I am hoping for you and you baby that this was a one time thing. It is a very worrisome thing when you have a dog who has seizures. As is every thing when your babies are having problems.
The peeing thing is what gets me as he was coming back to reality he was still confused looking, the neighbor had just knocked on the front door which may have startled him and the other neighbor was coming in through the garage all at the same time so part of me is wondering if all of what happened just got him overly excited but once he started he didn't stop until I was soaking wet. (He normally happy pees when these neighbors come over because he loves them so much)

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
If he did have a seizure, the peeing was most likely because of it. A seizure would scare them, as it does us-if he didn't lose control from the seizure, he may have gotten very frightened. I know from experience that you will now be watching his every move! He certainly had a combo of things-going to work-getting tired, possible seizure, and his neighbor friends coming in.
What ever it is, you are lucky to have such good neighbors,for sure. Praying for you.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm so sorry to see this... I had a diabetic cat that would go into seizure's at times if his insulin was off. It is the scariest thing to watch, you feel absolutely helpless. Hopefully this was a one time episode... Hugs to you guys ; )

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
So Loki came to work with me yesterday he was completely fine, he didn't take his normal naps but that happens when there are a lot of people in here. On the way home I could tell that he was really tired so when we got home we did our business and I left him to go to the family garden and help my aunt. When I came home about 3 hours later something happened. I walked in the door like normal and he was sleeping in his "house" with the door open I asked him why he wasn't coming to say hi, which is very out of the ordinary for him, he got up and came out of his house but he looked very scared and almost confused then I noticed his head was shaking but the rest of his body was fine, he sound like he was having a hard time catching his breath, I felt his throat and stuck my hand in his mouth to see if there was something in there but found nothing. The then locked up his shoulder and laid down slowly but weird and continued to shake head and now his legs, he never lost eye contacts with me, (I was trying to stay calm for him but was in sheer panic mode I called the neighbors and had them come over) by the time they got there he was done shaking but he stood up and tried to hide inside of me and he peed all over me ( Loki has never peed in the house ever!) Then after he was done peeing he was totally normal like nothing happened he went and drank water, ate, went out and pooped. This whole ordeal lasted all of maybe 45 seconds to a minute but it felt like forever. He didn't get into anything and he hasn't had benedryl for over a 2 weeks now, he did have his health check up and everything was fine he was given his heartguard but that was I think 2 weeks ago.
I watched and read so much last night and it seems like it might have been a head tremor or a seizure I am not sure. I called the vet this morning and recounted the ordeal to her and she said at this point there is not much we can do other then take a look at him. He did come with me to work today and he has been very tired but playful when he needs to be and he slept really well last night. Sorry if I am all over the place or left something out:nope:
Any ideas what the hell happened to our little boy?
View attachment 50621

If it happens again. Offer him a favorite treat but do not give it to him until he comes around fully. If this stops the head movement it is most likely head tremor which happens in bullies. If his head continues to move and jerk it is more likely to be a seizure. Your vet will have a more accurate diagnosis for you if you can take a video of it. Losing control of the bladder happens.

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online