Help Needed! Duke tested positive for coccidia

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
So in June when I took duke and duchess in for their exam- they both had fecals. Duchess was negative and duke was positive for round worms. He was treated and I took a sample in yesterday to make sure that he was clear of worms and now he has coccidia. They said he was definately negative last check so he picked it up from the environment. None of them have any symptoms and they all have an appetite and stool is normal. Vet recommends treating my whole crew. Can anyone with experience in this chime in?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I've never had to experience coccidia, but I do know it is contagious so you will need to try to keep him in a section of your home that is easily washable with bleach water.... clean up all stools immediately too. Sanitize your home as much as possible. I think it clears up pretty quickly, it's the confinement and cleaning of the home that really is a bummer. Treating Dutchess may be a good idea just to be on the safe side.

Puddles and water holes are a key place they can pick it up.... have they drank out of anything weird lately?

Keep us posted, and hopefully it's over quickly for you. Dang parasites....

:hug:

OP
S

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
I've never had to experience coccidia, but I do know it is contagious so you will need to try to keep him in a section of your home that is easily washable with bleach water.... clean up all stools immediately too. Sanitize your home as much as possible. I think it clears up pretty quickly, it's the confinement and cleaning of the home that really is a bummer. Treating Dutchess may be a good idea just to be on the safe side.

Puddles and water holes are a key place they can pick it up.... have they drank out of anything weird lately?

Keep us posted, and hopefully it's over quickly for you. Dang parasites....

:hug:

I live in downtown Chicago - in a heavily populated dog area. As far as drinking anything weird - no. As far as puddles they are everywhere but we do try to avoid at all cost. I just picked up the meds for all 3 of them. One dose tonight and one dose tomorrow. The clean up shall begin tonight- starting with bathes .

OP
S

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
I hope Duke feels better soon :hug:

Thanks! The crazy thing is he is completely normal in every way. I would have never guessed he had this. The vet said most dogs show absolutely no signs or symptoms except in very you puppies.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Hope he gets better soon.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
As Lisa said... usually from standing water. Hoep it does not spread to all the pets and he is well soon

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online