Help Needed! Urinary Incontinence/Involuntary Passage of Urine

emilymtz86

Jul 22, 2013
Waco, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Big Momma
I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right spot or not, it is about my bullies health and I wanted to see if there our others out there with bullies like mines. Big momma was born on Feb. 13, 2012 I received her back in December and was told she had a UTI which we've been treating and it continues to come back along with hot spots and other things (well this is what the first vet said, today I was told by a new vet something totally different) after closely reviewing the paperwork received by vet (hubby took our baby to vet while I was at work) we were told she has a yeast infection and were told about proper diet/care for bullies.. After further testing we were told that big momma was dribbling urine (which I knew but from what the first vet said it was cause by the UTI she had) the vet asked how long this has been going on I told him since she was 4 months old from documents the breeder gave us. We got her spayed 2 months ago hoping it would help this. (another recommendation from previous vets) He let us know about surgery that they could preform or other holistic treatments they could do for her.. After researching I'm not sure if I should proceed with the surgery and there be a slight chance it wouldn't fix the problem or try other treatments.. I survived the last 7 months with her doing this along with the awful odor it releases due to irritating skin around she get pretty much daily baths, cleaning of private areas, creams, antibiotics and puppy diapers... Anyone else going thru this??

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
Wow poor big mama she been through a lot. I have tagged a few people who might have some good advise for you. I am thinking food allergies is causing the issues. [MENTION=9408]emilymtz86[/MENTION] What is she eating?

OP
emilymtz86

emilymtz86

Jul 22, 2013
Waco, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Big Momma
Wow poor big mama she been through a lot. I have tagged a few people who might have some good advise for you. I am thinking food allergies is causing the issues. @emilymtz86 What is she eating?

She sure has... Shes had 2 surgeries, and 6 seperate trips to the vet since weve had her :( gets quite costly.. I'm not sure what the breeder was feeding her prior to us getting her we've changed foods 3 times since we got her first purina then some science diet our vet recommended then beneful and now fromms grain free... If anyone has any information on a good pet insurance Itmwould be appreciated

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Sweet Big momma has been through a lot! I'm sure you could write the book on UTI by now but just in case, I recommend reading that article from our home page.

Also you may want to check out our sister site for special needs bullies like yours, it's a small group but perhaps they can give you pointers too. http://specialneedsbulldogs.com

Has she been checked for stones or had an ultrasound done yet?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
the yeast and hot spots if thats what they were sure sound allergy related but the urine dribbling is a seperate issue. perhaps try a bland diet of chicken and rice or beef and rice for a few days and see if it helps or get a limited ingredient food. i think [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] may have been through this so im tagging her. i sure hope she gets better soon.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I've had lots of issue with UTI and yeast, but not like this..... I am tagging [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] and [MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION]... they have lots of experience with UTI/bladder stuff.

Best of luck --- HUGS to Big Momma and Momma that she gets fixed up soon. Saty the course with the Fromm, let her on it for at least a month to see any results from the old food getting out of her system.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
How much have they really tested her and her urine?
Dog that is suffering from incontinence should be taken to a vet for fundamental research in order to also exclud such as bladder stones. Young dog's urinary incontinence is most commonly the so-called ectopic ureter, or anatomically wrong place ureter attached surface. Ureters may open up directly into the urethra or bladder, as close to the mouth of the closing mechanism is disturbed. Another typical urinary incontinence in young dogs causing the problem is the urethral closing mechanism failure. This can get better by itself after the first heat. Also sterilization increases the risk of sphincter insufficiency (Sorry, I don't know if the medical terms are right in english).
There is medication, phenylpropanolamine (Propalin), for this and also surgery is possible. I would try the medication first and maybe a change of vet is in order too... Fromms grain free is the best from those 3, but she could be a good candidate for raw food too. Keeping her on the thin side helps, so lil' mama would be better....
Bathing every day is really not good for the dog and I'm afraid all the creams and ointments are not going to cure her, just relieve the symptoms.

OP
emilymtz86

emilymtz86

Jul 22, 2013
Waco, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Big Momma
Sweet Big momma has been through a lot! I'm sure you could write the book on UTI by now but just in case, I recommend reading that article from our home page.

Also you may want to check out our sister site for special needs bullies like yours, it's a small group but perhaps they can give you pointers too. http://specialneedsbulldogs.com

we have a apt set for Tuesday to have that done

OP
emilymtz86

emilymtz86

Jul 22, 2013
Waco, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Big Momma
How much have they really tested her and her urine?
Dog that is suffering from incontinence should be taken to a vet for fundamental research in order to also exclud such as bladder stones. Young dog's urinary incontinence is most commonly the so-called ectopic ureter, or anatomically wrong place ureter attached surface. Ureters may open up directly into the urethra or bladder, as close to the mouth of the closing mechanism is disturbed. Another typical urinary incontinence in young dogs causing the problem is the urethral closing mechanism failure. This can get better by itself after the first heat. Also sterilization increases the risk of sphincter insufficiency (Sorry, I don't know if the medical terms are right in english).
There is medication, phenylpropanolamine (Propalin), for this and also surgery is possible. I would try the medication first and maybe a change of vet is in order too... Fromms grain free is the best from those 3, but she could be a good candidate for raw food too. Keeping her on the thin side helps, so lil' mama would be better....
Bathing every day is really not good for the dog and I'm afraid all the creams and ointments are not going to cure her, just relieve the symptoms.

we bathe her everyday because the smell is so horrible its like your walking into a gas chamber when you walk into their bed room (yes my babies have their own doggie room) I just don't know what more we can do anymore.. she was on antibotics but the only thing that helped was with the smell it didn't slap you in the face when she was coming around she still dribbled all over our floors when i first got her they told us she would be ideal pet for someone who just wanted a english bulldog to throw in the back yard but thats not a type of life for them to live.. now i see why.. but im determained before giving her up to try everything i can to get her better! im not the type to pawn my problems off on a unexpected individual.. lil momma lol when we first got her big momma fit her she looked like she weight over 50 lbs she was in a 6x6 pen im sure with not having much room for her to run and play it was all fat but when we went to vet she weight 35 lbs today she looks slimmer which i thought she lost weight but still weights 35 lbs since everything is mucsled now vs hanging skin and wrinkles like before.

OP
emilymtz86

emilymtz86

Jul 22, 2013
Waco, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Big Momma

Sometimes i feel like i could! this is just something you don't want to go thru!!!

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
[MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] is right about the about the major cause of incontinence. But there is another, lesser known - very common cause. When you have her to the vet tomorrow ask about an x-ray of her lower spine. Compressed disks, inflamed muscles/joints or pinched nerves can also cause the dribbling that you are experiencing.

There are medications that the doctor can give and you might want to look into chiropractic treatments for her. You could also try massaging her lower back with a zoom groom or something similar. If the problem IS a pinched nerve or something along those lines massaging the muscles will be a huge help. So will keeping her calm and relaxed (no running, jumping... shorter walks - that kind of thing) for a few weeks.

You mentioned that she was overweight at one point. That much weight in a young animal stresses the bladder which can also cause leakage. Women can do kegel exercises to strengthen the muscles down there, dogs unfortunately cant lol Surgery may be the only option if this turns out to be the case.

Richard Jones

Dec 31, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Nate
Did they happen to mention ectopic ureter? Our dog dribbles and has since we got him. They did a CT scan, ultrasound, and other tests to determine if he had this. However, everything has come back negative. He is scheduled to be fixed tomorrow. He still dribbles and we have not answers. He is on a medication called proin, some days are worse than others;/ Good luck

OP
emilymtz86

emilymtz86

Jul 22, 2013
Waco, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Big Momma
Did they happen to mention ectopic ureter? Our dog dribbles and has since we got him. They did a CT scan, ultrasound, and other tests to determine if he had this. However, everything has come back negative. He is scheduled to be fixed tomorrow. He still dribbles and we have not answers. He is on a medication called proin, some days are worse than others;/ Good luck

Same way with ours... We had her spayed and no help... :( we also had blood work and test done and everything seems normal.. Vet said something about starting her on proin.. But she already on alot of meds we purchased it and she seems to do it less so i went online and read an article on leak no more I ordered it just waiting on it to come in :)

Richard Jones

Dec 31, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Nate
Hope all works out. Nate was just fixed two days ago. We are still giving him proin. I do believe it does help some. Let me know how the Leak no more works out for you.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.