Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
I have heard bullies drink more water thn other dogs? Brie usually drinks a fair share but hasn't been interested so much the past few days. She hasn't been running around really either due to her cone of shame. After she eats, she drinks just a little., not as much as she used to. I have to hold to bowl in between her chin n cone but she drinks w no issue. I did put the tiniest bit of acv in w her water..not even half a cap so maybe 1/4 tsp? Would that deter her? I did try offering her new water w out acv but still no real interest. She hasn't gone a day w out any water, but yesterday only had a few sips which is not like her. The cone comes off (hopefully) tomorrow so if it is that then things should get back to normal. Any thoughts or suggestions?

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Her cone comes off and all goes back to normal. When I first put acv in Busters water he stood and looked at the water and then back at me like "?" He's used to it now. I taught him the words "DRINK WATER" and he does it no matter where he is, runs to his water bowl and drinks. lol. She will be fine once the cone comes off you'll see.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I'm not sure what acv is but I know if I put anything different in Brutus' bowls besides what he is used to he will not touch it. I had to give him cough medicine and antibiotic once and i thought it would be easier to try and disgiuse it in the food. No go, Brutus was not having it. Also as far as that awful cone, Brutus had two eye surgeries and was neutered and I was bad and took the cone off as soon as we left the vets office. with the first surgery I left it on and Brutus was soo miserable. I took it of with the other two surgeries and kept an eagle eye on him to make sure he was not bothering the sites and he never paid them any attention. It could be Brie is fed up with the struggle to drink with the cone on.

OP
Lisabear123

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
[MENTION=9370]brutus77[/MENTION] acv is just short for apple cider vinegar. I have had to keep the cone on her sadly as her eyes were really bad. I'm thinking it is a combo of a strange smell in her water even faint and what both you and [MENTION=6717]pdolphin27[/MENTION] are suggesting about the cone. I just wanted to make sure...thank you.

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
[MENTION=9236]Lisabear123[/MENTION] try ice cubes. Fergus does not drink enough water and if he does drink he usually has more on him then in him. He is the messiest water drinking dog ever lol I have towels everywhere one to wipe his face and one to wipe the floor.

I read a post of someone who had the same issue and I started giving him ice cubes. He loves the crunch and cold. I give him one cube at a time usually as many as he will eat. Now everytime I use the ice machine he is right there waiting for his cube. I also give him ice cubes after walks to cool him off.

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
@Lisabear123 try ice cubes. Fergus does not drink enough water and if he does drink he usually has more on him then in him. He is the messiest water drinking dog ever lol I have towels everywhere one to wipe his face and one to wipe the floor.

I read a post of someone who had the same issue and I started giving him ice cubes. He loves the crunch and cold. I give him one cube at a time usually as many as he will eat. Now everytime I use the ice machine he is right there waiting for his cube. I also give him ice cubes after walks to cool him off.

You could probably put ACV in the water and then freeze into cubes. Just an idea :)

err have no idea why this double posted sorry lol

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
@Lisabear123 try ice cubes. Fergus does not drink enough water and if he does drink he usually has more on him then in him. He is the messiest water drinking dog ever lol I have towels everywhere one to wipe his face and one to wipe the floor.

I totally agree... Winston LOVES ice cubes, it's almost like a treat in this house!!! Good luck...

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
I put acv in both duke and duchess' food but when I put it in their water they refused I drink it so I just put a tablespoon in their food and they scarf it down.

OP
Lisabear123

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
I put acv in both duke and duchess' food but when I put it in their water they refused I drink it so I just put a tablespoon in their food and they scarf it down.

I use salmon oil and yogurt in her breakfast, I would hate to add more to that? I could add the acv to her dinner. She was dry (Fromm) think it would be ok on that?
[MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] and @Ashleym I will def start giving her some ice cubes :)

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Harlea loves ice cubes so we use them at times for treats. The other thing we do is have multiple water bowls throughout the house so she can get a drink in just about any room or the water bottle in her crate. She tends to bounce around from room to room and take a drink out of each one when she is thirsty. As others have said the cone of shame is probably the culprit. I hope Brie gets it off soon so she can have a bit more freedom.

OP
Lisabear123

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
As others have said the cone of shame is probably the culprit. I hope Brie gets it off soon so she can have a bit more freedom.

We go tomorrow at 10:30am! Lets hope we don't come home w it!!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
They usually will drink water from a syringe too :up: like bottle feeding a baby.... Sort of. They love being babied like that.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
we give Brutus ice cubes as well. He loves them. Just be careful to go slowly at first as they can cause diarrhea.

OP
Lisabear123

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
You guys were right tho..the cone is off..unless he rubs her eye..and she has had a bunch to drink today. I guess she just got sick n tired of it..can't say I blame her one bit! I'm Still going to give her if cubes tho. Bet she would enjoy playing w one before munching on it lol

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.