Trifexis vs Sentinel

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
I know that this issue has been discussed quite a bit but here I go again.
Since Ace started heartworm preventative treatment I have been using Trifexis with no serious side effects. Other than perhaps a little lethargy after the first usage all has gone well. I resisted changing to Sentinel because Ace seemed to be doing well on Trifexis and it is what our Vet recommended and I was reluctant to change also because of the fear that he might have a negative reaction to Sentinel so I felt caught between a rock and a hard place. Like many others here I have had my concerns and have spent quite a bit of time researching both medications and the active ingredients in both. They both use milbermycin oxime for heartworm prevention the difference in the medications as far as the type of chemical used is in the flea and tick medication. Trifexis uses spinosad and Sentinel uses lufenuron. Each time I visited the Vet and it was time for heartworm medication I raised my concerns and each time was given reassurance that Trifexis was safe and etc and also kills the adult fleas vs only the flea larvae as Sentinel does. But each time I gave the treatment it was with fear and trembling and reservation. In the last couple of weeks, it being the time for treatment, I had Ace weighed and he was at 65 pounds so now He was prescribed the largest dose of Trifexis. He was on the 40-60 pound dose now up to the 60+ to 120 pound dose. This really bothered me. If a dose with a range of 20 pounds and the dog at the high end of weight was sufficient then at the 60+weight range, Ace being 65 he would be taking a dose that would treat a dog up to 120 pounds, that is practically double the weight and so the medication would have to be sufficient for the higher weight dog which gave me quite a bit of concern for Ace that just barely fit into that category. I got the medication but wouldn't give it and decided I would split the dose if I couldn't get the lower dose or seek another alternative. I didn't talk with the Vet this time but the personnel there said they couldn't give the lower weight range dosage as it wouldn't be sufficient. After doing more research, basically the same results as before, but one thing I have noticed during all this time was that the anecdotal comments on all the sites I visited range from about 60 to 70 percent or higher with negative comments and warnings on the Trifexis, it may not be scientific but for me its not something to dismiss out of hand. So anyway I am changing to Sentinel. The dose for Ace with Sentinel is in the 50-100 pound range, still significant but better in my opinion as Ace would be at about the median to higher end of weight for the amount of medication he would be taking. I had to jump through hoops to get it.? The Vet did not carry it on hand at the clinic and I had to go online through their prescription website to order it and it will be mailed to my home.

Last edited:

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Yea for you Tim, for being proactive and thinking it thru...I agree, for a 5 lb
difference, I'd stay on the same dosage NOT go to a 55 lb difference, crazy!

TomVan

Jun 5, 2013
Missouri
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bailey & Zoey
I agree, that would be very scary giving a 65 pound dog a med that would be the same for a 120 pound dog. I feel you made the right move.

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
You have put a lot of thought and research into your decision I too have been doing the research and talking to the vet about the positives versus the negatives of Trifexis like you though Sheldon would fall into that higher category because he is about 65lbs as well its all about the decisions we make for our fur babies....its tough to decide what is the best when you have this person and that person buzzing in your ear like mosquitoes....

Jennifer Clark

Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Please let me know how Ace does as this is a decision I have been struggling with myself.

OP
Rural mystic

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
You have put a lot of thought and research into your decision I too have been doing the research and talking to the vet about the positives versus the negatives of Trifexis like you though Sheldon would fall into that higher category because he is about 65lbs as well its all about the decisions we make for our fur babies....its tough to decide what is the best when you have this person and that person buzzing in your ear like mosquitoes....

I agree. I ordered one dose and will give the Sentinel with trepidation too. But if Ace does well on it, with little or no side effects, then if I don't have any problems with fleas I will probably stay with the Sentinel. We shall see. As the heartworm chemical is the same in both products I researched the different chemicals that are used in the products for fleas. Still its a mixed bag with both seemingly safe although perhaps a bit better with the lufenuron that is in Sentinel. But that chemical does not kill adult fleas so that has to be considered too. It sort of boils down to the flea and tick medication as the other chemical is the same in both. It's not an easy choice, especially as Ace has really never had a problem with Trifexis. But this big jump in dosage was disconcerting to say the least. Such is the power of persuasion. If all in this forum swore by Trifexis and if the anecdotal comments in other forums were even steven then I probably would have stayed with Trifexis. In actuality, and I know this with my head but my heart is troubling me, they both may be as safe, as effective and as dangerous as the other

Jennifer Clark

Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I was a little uncomfortable with Sheldon's reaction yesterday to the Comfortis this is his third month on it and I gave him his dose night before last and all day yesterday he refused to eat and was very lethargic I did everything I could do even pulled out the special treats and he didn't want any of it but today he is fine

OP
Rural mystic

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
My sweet Steve lost his life to trifexis
My condolences. All parasite and pesticide medications are worrisome. We all do the best we can with the information we recieve. Hindsight is 20-20. You had no way of knowing in advance and probably acted in good faith. So sorry for the loss.

Starkie

Dec 8, 2012
Northern California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Walley-Bubba aka Wooley Bulley aka Walter! aka Landi!!
Didn't someone here say Trifexis doesn't prevent/treat ticks? We checked the package and it does not mention ticks.

Just curious if Sentinel prevents/treats ticks? That could be a reason for us to switch and avoid the cost of Advantix for ticks.

Speaking of costs, and we would never do it just to save money, but was the presciption website cheaper for Sentinel than getting Trifexis from the local vet?

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
Didn't someone here say Trifexis doesn't prevent/treat ticks? We checked the package and it does not mention ticks.

Just curious if Sentinel prevents/treats ticks? That could be a reason for us to switch and avoid the cost of Advantix for ticks.

Speaking of costs, and we would never do it just to save money, but was the presciption website cheaper for Sentinel than getting Trifexis from the local vet?

Trifexis and Sentenial does not prevent or treat for ticks only fleas. You can use a topical for tick prevention in addition to Tifexis or Sentenial but IMO that is a lot of peticides. If Ticks is a major concern I would use Heartguard with K9 Advantix II or Frontiline Plus

My vet also try to push trifexis but I personally think they get a kick back from the manufacture. I never buy prescriptions from the vet I find they are less expensive at 1-800-pet-med they usually have a coupon for percent off. Costco and Sams club now sells pet meds with a presription and they are a few dollars cheaper then the web sites. If you do buy from a web site make sure they are legitimate company I have heard some scary stories of fake meds made in china. If the price seems too good to be true dont buy it.

Last edited:
OP
Rural mystic

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace

I agree, my change of medication had nothing to do with price, but yes Sentinel is less expensive than Trifexis.

Neither medication treats ticks. Sorry I may have inadvertently mentioned somewhere in one of my posts flea and ticks but neither medication states treating of ticks.

Last edited:

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Some of you know my stand on Trifexis. I would cut off my arms and legs before letting Vegas or baby O take a dose of Trifexis. I became aware of the poison after sweet Steve Slocum passed away. Once my research started..I came across the FB page Trifexis kills Dogs. Here is her post from this morning.

" One year ago, on this date, our dog Peaches suffered and died after ONE dose of Trifexis. She was six years old and perfectly healthy, the sweetest dog we have ever had. Her "murder" by Elanco, the mfg of Trifexis, inspired my daughter and I to start this site, TRIFEXIS KILLS DOGS. The site has grown, and, sadly, there are so many reports of dogs dying and being maimed by Trifexis that it has become very clear that Trifexis is a poison that no one should ever give to dogs. Why most vets refuse to recognize this is beyond belief. They seem to blindly follow the directives of Elanco. Vioxx killed many people and was therefore recalled; Trifexis has killed many dogs and yet it is still being prescribed. Please sign our petition, keep the stories coming, report adverse effects to Elanco, which by law must then report those adversities to the FDA. Sooner or later we will get this drug banned. Meanwhile, our hearts go out to those of you who have lost animals by poisoning. Today we will celebrate our dog Peaches' life, not her death, with a little ceremony. She would have been seven years old. Rest in Peace, Peaches."

Those of you who choose to use Trifexis....that's what it is, a choice. I appreciate this thread, it brings up a topic that can light the fire in a negative way for many people. The fight against Trifexis is huge part of my everyday life. Every morning I see Diane post the photo/slogan combo I made for her. She posts it everyday and will continue to post it every day until it's been recalled. Great job in keeping things civil everybody.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We only give our babies Sentinel, there for a time you could not get Sentinel and we knew about Trifexis so we gave them Heatguard, but it does not work on fleas, but it was in the winter time when fleas aren't that bad. Now Sentinel is back and they are back on it. No Trifexis in my house.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.