Trifexis vs Sentinel

marleyk

May 27, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Charlee
how much do they weigh, and what dosage are you giving them? are you splitting the dosage every 2 weeks or so? Both of these do prevent/kill heartworm, flea and tick's right? its just sentinel doesnt kill adult fleas, am i correct? I have been stumbling upon dogs dying from trifexis so i think i will switch, i just need some more info.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
how much do they weigh, and what dosage are you giving them? are you splitting the dosage every 2 weeks or so? Both of these do prevent/kill heartworm, flea and tick's right? its just sentinel doesnt kill adult fleas, am i correct? I have been stumbling upon dogs dying from trifexis so i think i will switch, i just need some more info.

Wally is almost 5 mos old so I give him the Sentinel 25.1-50lbs, my boxer Roxie is 10yrs old and I give her the Sentinel 51-100lbs. I give them the whole pill at the first of the month w/a meal, and I also give them Frontline Plus liquid. Sentinel covers all worms and controls the fleas, but because of where we live TN the fleas here are horrid. I will give them Frontline as well in the summer months.

Starkie

Dec 8, 2012
Northern California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Walley-Bubba aka Wooley Bulley aka Walter! aka Landi!!
My Walley-Bubba is about 1-1/2 years old, about 70 lbs and is doing well on Sentinel wrapped in Brie and Advantix on his back, both each month.
We switched to Sentinel because of the concerns about Trifexis.
Better to be safe than sorry.

ps they need something to combat heartworm - home remedies and guesswork about what may work are too risky for us.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

I have used Sentinel for many years without issue... full tab on the first of each month. It is heartworm and flea.... not for ticks.... I use Vectra 3D for ticks

marleyk

May 27, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Charlee
Im a little confused about which to get for the tick solution. I have got the sentinel but i see vectra 3d, frontline liquid plus and advantix being used by others. 2bullymama, vectra seems to be the priciest, but has it worked the bedt for your dogs? Hows it compare to advantix?

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Im a little confused about which to get for the tick solution. I have got the sentinel but i see vectra 3d, frontline liquid plus and advantix being used by others. 2bullymama, vectra seems to be the priciest, but has it worked the bedt for your dogs? Hows it compare to advantix?

The Advantix worked well, but really dried out my boy's skin... I have had no issues with the Vectra 3D

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I honestly do NOT understand how people can still give their dog Trifexis when there is OVERWHELMING news online that this stuff is POISON!!! Even if your dog took it and did fine, WHY ON EARTH would you take the chance ever again?!! :blink:

marleyk

May 27, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Charlee
Hey all,

My vet tried to sway me to give my dog a 6 month shot of pro hart 6 + vectra 3d Or advantage blue. She said both are safe but i told her i wanted to do the sentinel + advantix. Is avantage blue a all in one? Because they said it was but looking online, it only covers fleas.. She was telling me sentinel + advantix was too much flea medication and was kind of redundant. But isnt pro hart + vectra the same thing? Please met me know what u think.

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
I've been considering using the 6 mo shot for heart worms. Does anyone use this?

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hey all,

My vet tried to sway me to give my dog a 6 month shot of pro hart 6 + vectra 3d Or advantage blue. She said both are safe but i told her i wanted to do the sentinel + advantix. Is avantage blue a all in one? Because they said it was but looking online, it only covers fleas.. She was telling me sentinel + advantix was too much flea medication and was kind of redundant. But isnt pro hart + vectra the same thing? Please met me know what u think.

Either way you are covering fleas twice, if I read/comprehended correctly. Sentinel and Vectra3D is what we use now and have for many years without any issue-- our vet actually recommended it this way. We are in the suburbs of Philadelphia and there are a lot of woods around us so that means lots of ticks, fleas and others insects. For us, it is not an option to use something and I am very comfortable with this combination. Also, what I do (my own decision) I do not use a full tube of the Vectra on the pups.... I split one it between them. Hope this helps in some way

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.