Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=7311]Starkie[/MENTION] I have used the 11-25lbs., 26-50lbs., and 51-100lbs.

Starkie

Dec 8, 2012
Northern California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Walley-Bubba aka Wooley Bulley aka Walter! aka Landi!!
@Starkie I have used the 11-25lbs., 26-50lbs., and 51-100lbs.
Thanks David. I had ordered the 26-50 for WB because he's only 10-1/2 months old even though he does weigh 60 lbs.
But 1800PETMEDS informed that our Vet had changed the dosage to the 51-100 lbs because of WB's 60 lbs weight (no fat BTW, just a big dog).
So I decided to ask here and see what came up.
I sure hope the 50-100 lbs dose will be OK for WB.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=7311]Starkie[/MENTION], that's what we gave Buddy, he weighs 59 lbs.

Starkie

Dec 8, 2012
Northern California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Well, it was a struggle, but WB ate his first Sentinel about 30 minutes ago and he's still alive and well. It took a whole slice of Sargento Mild Chedar though so I hope he doesn't explode. Vet had previously cautioned against cheese because it's fattening. We are off to the groomer now for a bath and nail job.

Last edited:

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
We use both Heartguard for Heartworm and Advantix for flea control

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Starkie

Dec 8, 2012
Northern California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Managed to get Walley-Bubba to eat his Sentinel this morning.
This time, I reasoned with him, put the pill in his gob and gently held it shut while he mouthed it.
He soon spat it out so I picked it up and again reasoned with him that it was for his own good and repeated the procedure.
It worked! He actually ate it and seemed like he was really trying to please me, which is rare at times.
It's like having teenagers who are really awful but then turn the magic corner and become responsible, cooperative adults in fits and starts.
Sure hiope the Sentinel works, I'd hate to loose him to heart worms now.

OP
Rural mystic

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
The first time I gave Ace sentinel I broke it in half and dipped each half in melted butter. Yhe second time I broke in half and mixed in his kibble that had a topper on it he really likes. Each time it was easy take. Just a couple of ideas if you ever need them

OP
Rural mystic

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
As an update this month was the third treatment with Sentinel and so far there have been no negative reactions with it. No upset stomach, no loss of appetite, no lethargy. Even though Ace seemed to tolerate the Trifexis there was a bit of lethargy after each treatment and with Sentinel there is no negatives so far that I can tell. He is just as rambunctious after treatment as before treatment. So it appears he tolerates it well and my concern, for heartworm medications at least, has been eliminated. So for now I will stick with the Sentinel. No problem with fleas either.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
As an update this month was the third treatment with Sentinel and so far there have been no negative reactions with it. No upset stomach, no loss of appetite, no lethargy. Even though Ace seemed to tolerate the Trifexis there was a bit of lethargy after each treatment and with Sentinel there is no negatives so far that I can tell. He is just as rambunctious after treatment as before treatment. So it appears he tolerates it well and my concern, for heartworm medications at least, has been eliminated. So for now I will stick with the Sentinel. No problem with fleas either.

Thats great Tim! Happy to hear its working out.

B

Baxter Tiberius

I realize this is an old thread, but I found it doing a search.

Something I wanted to say to everyone. The original poster mentions the vet giving a dose for a 60 to 120 lb dog. And her dog was just over 60lbs.

I don't know what the *duration* is for Trifexis or Sentinel, but with things like Comfortis ... that is dosed for a *full month*.

So not only are you giving your dog enough dose for the HEAVIER weight, but you are giving enough for the heavier weight to be effective for a FULL MONTH.

That is a *lot* of pesticide in your puppy.

Doctors will never tell you this, but you very well can split those tablets up.

You have to understand, when they make these drugs, they do it for "sellability". That means they make something that "lasts a month" because "thats what people will buy" for convenience sake.

They also batch the doses together: 60 to 120lbs, because they want to SELL it easier to people. And your dog suffers as a result.

You dont have to give a whole months worth up front. On the contrary!

You can split those tablets up, and give them once a week if you wish. Once every 2 weeks. As long as the total dose matches your dogs weight, for the four week period, its all the same.

If you have a 60lb dog and you are given the 60-120 dose, cut that damn pill in half, and spread that half pill over four weeks. THAT is the proper dose for your dog.

You thereby give the *effective* dose for your dogs weight, over a period of time, instead of up front.

Significant health stress can be put on a dog by mega dosing up front. You don't care about their need to sell the product. Nor do you care about the convenience of dosing once a month. You care about protecting your dog from disease, and not harming them in the process.

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
I realize this is an old thread, but I found it doing a search.

Something I wanted to say to everyone. The original poster mentions the vet giving a dose for a 60 to 120 lb dog. And her dog was just over 60lbs.

I don't know what the *duration* is for Trifexis or Sentinel, but with things like Comfortis ... that is dosed for a *full month*.

So not only are you giving your dog enough dose for the HEAVIER weight, but you are giving enough for the heavier weight to be effective for a FULL MONTH.

That is a *lot* of pesticide in your puppy.

Doctors will never tell you this, but you very well can split those tablets up.

You have to understand, when they make these drugs, they do it for "sellability". That means they make something that "lasts a month" because "thats what people will buy" for convenience sake.

They also batch the doses together: 60 to 120lbs, because they want to SELL it easier to people. And your dog suffers as a result.

You dont have to give a whole months worth up front. On the contrary!

You can split those tablets up, and give them once a week if you wish. Once every 2 weeks. As long as the total dose matches your dogs weight, for the four week period, its all the same.

If you have a 60lb dog and you are given the 60-120 dose, cut that damn pill in half, and spread that half pill over four weeks. THAT is the proper dose for your dog.

You thereby give the *effective* dose for your dogs weight, over a period of time, instead of up front.

Significant health stress can be put on a dog by mega dosing up front. You don't care about their need to sell the product. Nor do you care about the convenience of dosing once a month. You care about protecting your dog from disease, and not harming them in the process.

Great post:) I do this with that tick and flee oil thingy you put on your dogs neck and that works too. Why must my 11kg pug get oil for a 20kg dog... doesn't make sense. So I put a little more than half on her and the rest on the 8kg jack russel mix, lol. Saves me money as well:tongue: We don't have heart worm here (yet).

marleyk

May 27, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Charlee
My english bulldog is 2 years old and has been taking trifexis this whole time. I think it is effective but he does seem not as active when i do give him the dosage. He is 60-65 pounds but i have been giving him the 40-60 lb dosage tablets. He does NOT like it at all. its a fight to get him to eat it, i have tried wrapping it in cheese, bread, crushing it into powder with honey or peanut butter, wrapping it in meat, it does not work. I have to shove it down his throat and hold his mouth shut until he swallows the tablet. He does throw up sometimes a 3-5 hours later. I always give it to him with his food. Do most of you use sentinel for your bullies? BTW i have been using smith and fosters online website to get my trifexis, it is about $100 which is $50 from the vet. If people have been using sentinel more here, i am willing to make the switch to see if my boy Charlee would like it more. Does your bulldogs mind eating the sentinel pill or they dislike it as well?

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
My english bulldog is 2 years old and has been taking trifexis this whole time. I think it is effective but he does seem not as active when i do give him the dosage. He is 60-65 pounds but i have been giving him the 40-60 lb dosage tablets. He does NOT like it at all. its a fight to get him to eat it, i have tried wrapping it in cheese, bread, crushing it into powder with honey or peanut butter, wrapping it in meat, it does not work. I have to shove it down his throat and hold his mouth shut until he swallows the tablet. He does throw up sometimes a 3-5 hours later. I always give it to him with his food. Do most of you use sentinel for your bullies? BTW i have been using smith and fosters online website to get my trifexis, it is about $100 which is $50 from the vet. If people have been using sentinel more here, i am willing to make the switch to see if my boy Charlee would like it more. Does your bulldogs mind eating the sentinel pill or they dislike it as well?

I have been giving both my dogs Sentinel w/no problems, and they both take it like a treat. Trifexis has been known to be fatal to some dogs… it's all over the internet. If you dog is refusing to take it, and throwing up I would HIGHLY advise you to steer clear of Trifexis!!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.