Trifexis vs Sentinel

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Some of you know my stand on Trifexis. I would cut off my arms and legs before letting Vegas or baby O take a dose of Trifexis. I became aware of the poison after sweet Steve Slocum passed away. Once my research started..I came across the FB page Trifexis kills Dogs. Here is her post from this morning.

" One year ago, on this date, our dog Peaches suffered and died after ONE dose of Trifexis. She was six years old and perfectly healthy, the sweetest dog we have ever had. Her "murder" by Elanco, the mfg of Trifexis, inspired my daughter and I to start this site, TRIFEXIS KILLS DOGS. The site has grown, and, sadly, there are so many reports of dogs dying and being maimed by Trifexis that it has become very clear that Trifexis is a poison that no one should ever give to dogs. Why most vets refuse to recognize this is beyond belief. They seem to blindly follow the directives of Elanco. Vioxx killed many people and was therefore recalled; Trifexis has killed many dogs and yet it is still being prescribed. Please sign our petition, keep the stories coming, report adverse effects to Elanco, which by law must then report those adversities to the FDA. Sooner or later we will get this drug banned. Meanwhile, our hearts go out to those of you who have lost animals by poisoning. Today we will celebrate our dog Peaches' life, not her death, with a little ceremony. She would have been seven years old. Rest in Peace, Peaches."

Those of you who choose to use Trifexis....that's what it is, a choice. I appreciate this thread, it brings up a topic that can light the fire in a negative way for many people. The fight against Trifexis is huge part of my everyday life. Every morning I see Diane post the photo/slogan combo I made for her. She posts it everyday and will continue to post it every day until it's been recalled. Great job in keeping things civil everybody.

No vet has ever offered trifexis to us .. but I knew of Steve through my friend [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION], and to witness her grief over the full story of his death .. and to see not only Cheyl but also Diane post about it. Lets just say that I wish animal medications were put under as close scrutiny as human medications were!!! Unfortunately .. animals can't SUE!!!!!!!

OP
Rural mystic

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Please let me know how Ace does as this is a decision I have been struggling with myself.

I administered the Sentinel on Friday evening so as to be here during the weekend in case there was any reaction to it. I observed no ill effects that were evident. No nausea, no lethargy and no unusual behavior at all. Ace seemed normal after the dosage. Plenty of energy, appetite, and desire for play and mischief as usual. The heartworm medication being the same as Trifexis and the difference being the flea medication so if I have no problems with fleas related to the change in medication then I most likely will stay with the Sentinel. Hope this helps [MENTION=8610]Jennifer Clark[/MENTION]

Starkie

Dec 8, 2012
Northern California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Walley-Bubba aka Wooley Bulley aka Walter! aka Landi!!
Didn't someone here say Trifexis doesn't prevent/treat ticks? We checked the package and it does not mention ticks.

Just curious if Sentinel prevents/treats ticks? That could be a reason for us to switch and avoid the cost of Advantix for ticks.

Speaking of costs, and we would never do it just to save money, but was the presciption website cheaper for Sentinel than getting Trifexis from the local vet?

We have decided to switch from Trifexis to Sentinel to prevent heartworm, roundworms, hookworms fleas.
Our decision is based on two good reasons.
1. There are just too many alarming posts on the Internet advising against Trifexis.
2. Trifexis costs $98 (6 months supply, 40-60 lb dogs) versus Sentinel costing $47.69 (6 months supply, 26-50 lb dogs).
I've been paying about $34 for each Trifexis for the past 8 months at the vets. This because Walley-Bubba was growing from 8 lbs at 8 weeks to 60 lbs now at almost 10 months (no fat at all).
So It was not recommended to get a cheaper, 6-month supply due to his weight changing. But now he is stabilizing a bit and will probably end up closer to 70 lbs when fully grown.

We will initially get the lower weight dose of Sentinel (26-50 lbs) because the next step up is 60-120 lbs) which may be too strong.
We will discuss that with the vet before ordering since we need a prescription anyway.
We will also ask about a topical for tick control and may try whatever the vet recommends although we have been luck so far in not finding any.

Last edited:

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
I administered the Sentinel on Friday evening so as to be here during the weekend in case there was any reaction to it. I observed no ill effects that were evident. No nausea, no lethargy and no unusual behavior at all. Ace seemed normal after the dosage. Plenty of energy, appetite, and desire for play and mischief as usual. The heartworm medication being the same as Trifexis and the difference being the flea medication so if I have no problems with fleas related to the change in medication then I most likely will stay with the Sentinel. Hope this helps [MENTION=8610]Jennifer Clark[/MENTION]

Thank you I think I will be talking to the vet on the first.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

OP
Rural mystic

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Thank you I think I will be talking to the vet on the first.

With Sentinel as well as Trifexis be sure and administer with a meal. Ace eats his biggest meal in the evening and so right before setting his bowl down to eat I administered the Sentinel with a little melted butter on it then immediately feed Ace and he ate all his meal as per usual.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We give all ours Sentinel and have never had a bad reaction, even our pups.

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
With Sentinel as well as Trifexis be sure and administer with a meal. Ace eats his biggest meal in the evening and so right before setting his bowl down to eat I administered the Sentinel with a little melted butter on it then immediately feed Ace and he ate all his meal as per usual.

Got it I always do that with Sheldon with his Comfortis so it won't be anything out if the Norm

Jan 19, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Zoya and Steve
Chumley, Steve had been on it for 11 months till the first sign of the bad affects started and that was the seizures. This is why this stuff is so scary and dangerous as your loved one may not show any signs till way down the road

Starkie

Dec 8, 2012
Northern California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Took Walley-Bubba to see the Vet today.
Thought he had a tick on his back.
But it was just a small scab.
Probably from crashing into the underside of the benches outside (will grind down the bolts a bit).

Weight was 60 lbs - no fat, just big at almost 10 months.

Also asked her about Trifexis vs Sentinel.
And also the concern here and on FB and elsewhere.
She said Sentinel was obsolete and they were forced to reduce their price because they couldn't compete with modern alternatives.
She was OK with HeartGuard though.

I also told her that I also intended to give K9 Advantix for fleas and ticks control.
She seemed fine with that although my idea of staggering the medications every two weeks (first Sentinel, then K9 Advantix two weeks later) was a "you can do that, yes" proposition.
My goodness the K9 Advantix is expensive - over $72 for a 6 month supply.

We also met another English Bulldog named Gunner, an awesome 2 year old EB.
Told his handler about the monthly Bulldog meetup at Crissy Fields - lots of bullies, view of Golden Gate Bridge and Alcatraz, Sandy beach where dogs can run free and free parking (yeah, in San Francisco!).

So we will be contacting 1-800-PET-MEDS and asking them to contact Banfield to fax the prescription for the Sentinel.

Last edited:
OP
Rural mystic

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Sentinel is hardly obsolete, don't know why the Vet would have said that. The heartworm medication is identical to Trifexis the difference is in the flea prevention. I switched for the reasons given at the beginning of this thread and Ace had no observable negative side effects with Sentinel so if I have no problems I most likely will stick with Sentinel

Starkie

Dec 8, 2012
Northern California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sentinel is hardly obsolete, don't know why the Vet would have said that. The heartworm medication is identical to Trifexis the difference is in the flea prevention. I switched for the reasons given at the beginning of this thread and Ace had no observable negative side effects with Sentinel so if I have no problems I most likely will stick with Sentinel
Yes, our vet even said the same thing about both heartworm meds having the identical ingredients for heartworm and that the difference was with the flea prevention ingredient. Supplementing the Sentinel with K9-Advantix for tic and flea control seems like a good idea but woaaaa the cost! I've never seen a flea on WB with Trifexis. But I'm not comfortable with the bad press Trifexis is receiving. So Sentinel for heartworm and K9-Advantix for fleas and tics (we do go camping in the Sierra's) is my plan for now. If that plan fails for some reason, I will re-visit this issue. But for now, I'm settled.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.