Tim
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ace
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Trifexis vs Sentinel

Quote Originally Posted by Starkie View Post
    Didn't someone here say Trifexis doesn't prevent/treat ticks? We checked the package and it does not mention ticks.

Just curious if Sentinel prevents/treats ticks? That could be a reason for us to switch and avoid the cost of Advantix for ticks.

Speaking of costs, and we would never do it just to save money, but was the presciption website cheaper for Sentinel than getting Trifexis from the local vet?
    I agree, my change of medication had nothing to do with price, but yes Sentinel is less expensive than Trifexis.

Neither medication treats ticks. Sorry I may have inadvertently mentioned somewhere in one of my posts flea and ticks but neither medication states treating of ticks.
    Last edited by Rural mystic; 07-29-2013 at 04:56 PM.

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Cheryl
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Vegas and Orion
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Some of you know my stand on Trifexis. I would cut off my arms and legs before letting Vegas or baby O take a dose of Trifexis. I became aware of the poison after sweet Steve Slocum passed away. Once my research started..I came across the FB page Trifexis kills Dogs. Here is her post from this morning.

" One year ago, on this date, our dog Peaches suffered and died after ONE dose of Trifexis. She was six years old and perfectly healthy, the sweetest dog we have ever had. Her "murder" by Elanco, the mfg of Trifexis, inspired my daughter and I to start this site, TRIFEXIS KILLS DOGS. The site has grown, and, sadly, there are so many reports of dogs dying and being maimed by Trifexis that it has become very clear that Trifexis is a poison that no one should ever give to dogs. Why most vets refuse to recognize this is beyond belief. They seem to blindly follow the directives of Elanco. Vioxx killed many people and was therefore recalled; Trifexis has killed many dogs and yet it is still being prescribed. Please sign our petition, keep the stories coming, report adverse effects to Elanco, which by law must then report those adversities to the FDA. Sooner or later we will get this drug banned. Meanwhile, our hearts go out to those of you who have lost animals by poisoning. Today we will celebrate our dog Peaches' life, not her death, with a little ceremony. She would have been seven years old. Rest in Peace, Peaches."

Those of you who choose to use Trifexis....that's what it is, a choice. I appreciate this thread, it brings up a topic that can light the fire in a negative way for many people. The fight against Trifexis is huge part of my everyday life. Every morning I see Diane post the photo/slogan combo I made for her. She posts it everyday and will continue to post it every day until it's been recalled. Great job in keeping things civil everybody.

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

We only give our babies Sentinel, there for a time you could not get Sentinel and we knew about Trifexis so we gave them Heatguard, but it does not work on fleas, but it was in the winter time when fleas aren't that bad. Now Sentinel is back and they are back on it. No Trifexis in my house.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Libra926 View Post
    Some of you know my stand on Trifexis. I would cut off my arms and legs before letting Vegas or baby O take a dose of Trifexis. I became aware of the poison after sweet Steve Slocum passed away. Once my research started..I came across the FB page Trifexis kills Dogs. Here is her post from this morning.

" One year ago, on this date, our dog Peaches suffered and died after ONE dose of Trifexis. She was six years old and perfectly healthy, the sweetest dog we have ever had. Her "murder" by Elanco, the mfg of Trifexis, inspired my daughter and I to start this site, TRIFEXIS KILLS DOGS. The site has grown, and, sadly, there are so many reports of dogs dying and being maimed by Trifexis that it has become very clear that Trifexis is a poison that no one should ever give to dogs. Why most vets refuse to recognize this is beyond belief. They seem to blindly follow the directives of Elanco. Vioxx killed many people and was therefore recalled; Trifexis has killed many dogs and yet it is still being prescribed. Please sign our petition, keep the stories coming, report adverse effects to Elanco, which by law must then report those adversities to the FDA. Sooner or later we will get this drug banned. Meanwhile, our hearts go out to those of you who have lost animals by poisoning. Today we will celebrate our dog Peaches' life, not her death, with a little ceremony. She would have been seven years old. Rest in Peace, Peaches."

Those of you who choose to use Trifexis....that's what it is, a choice. I appreciate this thread, it brings up a topic that can light the fire in a negative way for many people. The fight against Trifexis is huge part of my everyday life. Every morning I see Diane post the photo/slogan combo I made for her. She posts it everyday and will continue to post it every day until it's been recalled. Great job in keeping things civil everybody.

No vet has ever offered trifexis to us .. but I knew of Steve through my friend @Libra926, and to witness her grief over the full story of his death .. and to see not only Cheyl but also Diane post about it. Lets just say that I wish animal medications were put under as close scrutiny as human medications were!!! Unfortunately .. animals can't SUE!!!!!!!

Real Name
    Tim
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ace
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Clark View Post
    Please let me know how Ace does as this is a decision I have been struggling with myself.
    I administered the Sentinel on Friday evening so as to be here during the weekend in case there was any reaction to it. I observed no ill effects that were evident. No nausea, no lethargy and no unusual behavior at all. Ace seemed normal after the dosage. Plenty of energy, appetite, and desire for play and mischief as usual. The heartworm medication being the same as Trifexis and the difference being the flea medication so if I have no problems with fleas related to the change in medication then I most likely will stay with the Sentinel. Hope this helps @Jennifer Clark

The New Casper Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Todd
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harlea
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Glad to hear he didn't have a reaction to the Sentinel.
    Bulldogs are like potato chips. You just can't stop with one.

Real Name
    Simon
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Walley-Bubba aka Wooley Bulley aka Walter! aka Landi!!
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Starkie View Post
    Didn't someone here say Trifexis doesn't prevent/treat ticks? We checked the package and it does not mention ticks.

Just curious if Sentinel prevents/treats ticks? That could be a reason for us to switch and avoid the cost of Advantix for ticks.

Speaking of costs, and we would never do it just to save money, but was the presciption website cheaper for Sentinel than getting Trifexis from the local vet?
    We have decided to switch from Trifexis to Sentinel to prevent heartworm, roundworms, hookworms fleas.
    Our decision is based on two good reasons.
    1. There are just too many alarming posts on the Internet advising against Trifexis.
    2. Trifexis costs $98 (6 months supply, 40-60 lb dogs) versus Sentinel costing $47.69 (6 months supply, 26-50 lb dogs).
    I've been paying about $34 for each Trifexis for the past 8 months at the vets. This because Walley-Bubba was growing from 8 lbs at 8 weeks to 60 lbs now at almost 10 months (no fat at all).
    So It was not recommended to get a cheaper, 6-month supply due to his weight changing. But now he is stabilizing a bit and will probably end up closer to 70 lbs when fully grown.

We will initially get the lower weight dose of Sentinel (26-50 lbs) because the next step up is 60-120 lbs) which may be too strong.
    We will discuss that with the vet before ordering since we need a prescription anyway.
    We will also ask about a topical for tick control and may try whatever the vet recommends although we have been luck so far in not finding any.
    Last edited by Starkie; 08-11-2013 at 11:38 AM.

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nuts Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jennifer
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean ; Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rural mystic View Post
    I administered the Sentinel on Friday evening so as to be here during the weekend in case there was any reaction to it. I observed no ill effects that were evident. No nausea, no lethargy and no unusual behavior at all. Ace seemed normal after the dosage. Plenty of energy, appetite, and desire for play and mischief as usual. The heartworm medication being the same as Trifexis and the difference being the flea medication so if I have no problems with fleas related to the change in medication then I most likely will stay with the Sentinel. Hope this helps @Jennifer Clark
    Thank you I think I will be talking to the vet on the first.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

R.I.P. Duece Man 9-13-14 Gone but not forgotten, always in our hearts! Till we meet again over the Bridge, Mommy misses you.

Real Name
    Tim
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ace
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Clark View Post
    Thank you I think I will be talking to the vet on the first.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    With Sentinel as well as Trifexis be sure and administer with a meal. Ace eats his biggest meal in the evening and so right before setting his bowl down to eat I administered the Sentinel with a little melted butter on it then immediately feed Ace and he ate all his meal as per usual.

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

We give all ours Sentinel and have never had a bad reaction, even our pups.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jim B.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chumley and Hershey
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Diane Brizendine Slocum View Post
    My sweet Steve lost his life to trifexis
    oh my god..that is terrible!
    So sorry for your loss. Was it the first time you used it?

Real Name
    Tim
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ace
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Davidh View Post
    We give all ours Sentinel and have never had a bad reaction, even our pups.
    To say I was relieved would be an understatement. Ace exhibited no negative effects and I am grateful

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Remove Ads