ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm so very sorry... I have never dealt w/MRSA so I have no advice to offer you, just prayers :pray:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Oh Tessa that is awful news :( I wonder how he even got it in the first place? I sure hope you can get him treated and you get results quickly.... sure hope no one else gets it either. How awful for all of you :(

OP
TessaAndSamson

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Oh Tessa that is awful news :( I wonder how he even got it in the first place? I sure hope you can get him treated and you get results quickly.... sure hope no one else gets it either. How awful for all of you :(

I am thinking at the vet, seems like the most likely place he would have gotten it since every wesbite I've looked at says it comes from a hospital environment or another carrier (he rarely sees other dogs and I don't know anyone with MRSA). We were actually at the vet with a stomach bug he had last November and a month later we were back with a skin infection. I read MRSA "is an opportunistic pathogen – if a pet or person gets injured or sick, S. aureus can take advantage of the body’s weakened defenses and cause infection." So maybe he came in contact with it when we were at the vet for that stomach bug and because he was sick, he got infected.

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
Oh no. Dudley and I can only send good thoughts, prayers and hugs!!! I know you won't give up because he's your love!:pray2:

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
I have dealt with it in people but never in dogs. Keeping it from being spread must be a challenge. I am so sorry to hear that you are going through this.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Aww., Tessa I am so sorry to hear this, poor Sampson. I hope you can find out more information and get him on the right track. I just hate reading this :pray: :*(

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Sorry to hear that I know from talking with my children who are both RN's that it is nasty and hard to control. I will ask both of them as they have seen quite a few patients with MRSA what has become the go to antibiotic for it for humans [if there is an agreement on such I don't know] and will report back with what they tell me. It will be later this evening at the earliest before I can find out. If there is a standard treatment then perhaps your Vet could arrange it to be tried with your dog.

I asked both my children the question on best human treatment for MRSA. I haven't yet heard back from my son who works the night shift but my daughter who works at the VA [ and I know from what she and my son have told me that the VA has seen many patients with MRSA, my son also has worked for the VA but now works for Shands] anyway here is my daughter's reply: "Topical Bactroban can work.. If it's small and localized. Otherwise IV drugs." If I hear otherwise from my Son I will also post that. Perhaps your Vet can use Bactroban [ I am not aware of its availability] but as I have stated I know that the VA has treated many with MRSA and if its the go to treatment perhaps this can help. I certainly hope so.

Also found this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mupirocin

Last edited:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
all i can do is offered... hugs, prayers, prayers and positive thoughts. BIG hug to all of you - please keep us posted

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
oh my. this is not good news but im sure there must be a treatment as humans get cleared up all the time. perhaps now they know what it is they can better get it under control. im wondering if bev has any thoughts on this. [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] you can give probiotics, vit c, and coq10 to help build up his immune system.

OP
TessaAndSamson

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
oh my. this is not good news but im sure there must be a treatment as humans get cleared up all the time. perhaps now they know what it is they can better get it under control. im wondering if bev has any thoughts on this. [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] you can give probiotics, vit c, and coq10 to help build up his immune system.

I was thinking that too, I was googling different probiotics, I've had one site recommended in the past so I'll probably just get them from there. Anything that helps! I had never even heard of coq10 until now.

I asked both my children the question on best human treatment for MRSA. I haven't yet heard back from my son who works the night shift but my daughter who works at the VA [ and I know from what she and my son have told me that the VA has seen many patients with MRSA, my son also has worked for the VA but now works for Shands] anyway here is my daughter's reply: "Topical Bactroban can work.. If it's small and localized. Otherwise IV drugs." If I hear otherwise from my Son I will also post that. Perhaps your Vet can use Bactroban [ I am not aware of its availability] but as I have stated I know that the VA has treated many with MRSA and if its the go to treatment perhaps this can help. I certainly hope so.

Also found this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mupirocin

Thank you so much for talking to them about it, I really appreciate it :) I had someone else recommend bactroban too but when I looked it up I found out it's not available over the counter :( I'll ask my vet if there is something similiar that I can get from them.

Most Reactions