Help Needed! Samson tested positive for MRSA

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Last November Samson got a skin infection. Antibiotics cleared it up then it came back a month or so later. This then became a cycle. This last infection has lasted 2 months and 3 different antibiotics could not clear it up so they did a culture, came back positive for MRSA :*( So sad, I cried when I got the voice mail. Now we have to be really careful so Dave or I or our beagle Loki doesn't get it, well that is if he hasn't already given it to us! No more kisses, no more Samson sleeping in bed with us like he has for his entire 7 years of life :( Anyway hoping to hear from anyone who has had to deal with this before.

Took this picture the other day, he's so darn handsome :luv:

IMG_20130719_180127_132.jpg

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
Awww I'm of no help here in any way. I just wanted to say that I'm so so sry this is happening to you all. Is there nothing they can do to help it? He really is very handsome!

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I know absolutely nothing about MRSA so all I can do is send thoughts and prayers your way.

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
I know next to nothing about MRSA but there are a few here that might. That should be along shortly. My thoughts and prayers go out to you.

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Sorry to hear that I know from talking with my children who are both RN's that it is nasty and hard to control. I will ask both of them as they have seen quite a few patients with MRSA what has become the go to antibiotic for it for humans [if there is an agreement on such I don't know] and will report back with what they tell me. It will be later this evening at the earliest before I can find out. If there is a standard treatment then perhaps your Vet could arrange it to be tried with your dog.

OP
TessaAndSamson

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Thanks everyone, he's on two really strong antibiotics right now. We picked them up on Saturday, he's on them for 2 weeks then we go back for a recheck. What we do next depends on how he responds to these antibiotics.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
MRSA can be killed...and by a variety of products. Research these and visit the
link I'm PMing you...I know how worried you are but there is hope & healing.
Much love for you & handsome Samson.

Things that kill MRSA are Oil of Oregano, Manuka Honey, Colloidial Silver and others.
So...do not despair, dear friend!

It is important to boost his immune system w/antioxidants & probiotics to restore
healthy gut as the antibiotics have destroyed it (why he got MRSA). I'd wait and
research and perhaps NOT give him any more antibiotics at this point. GOD bless!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Are you going to take him to kraemers office for a second opinion? Might wanna call over there and see if you can get his opinion about it?

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Oh Tessa :( My heart's breaking because he needs to be isolated like you said. I would seek second opinions too, even from holistic vets. Don't give up!

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello,

So sad to hear about that. I know about MRSA, but a quick internet search and I learned more. The dog version is "While MRSA is a major issue in human health, dogs are more likely to be affected by a different bacterial strain called methicillin-resistant staphylococcus pseudointermedius or MRSP."

It does need careful attention and can be effectively managed and possibly controlled. A second opinion is a MUST. Lab testing for EXACTLY what is needed.

Keep us posted,
Good Day

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
He's so handsome, I pray they can find the right med. I'm sorry you're going through this.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.