Mange? Allergies?

babybully

May 31, 2011
Great Lakes, North Chicago
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2
[MENTION=9455]Vanprarm[/MENTION] I keep a shirt on Cleo at all times now this summer until her allergies die down to keep her from scratching her pits raw. She can still scratch but she doesn't break the skin plus, the shirt seems to deter a lot of her scratching. Also, lots of witch hazel to wipe him down. Good luck, I'm fighting my own battle this summer (also recent transplants and she was fine in WA) so I know you'll needs lots of it! LOL

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
Thanks. And no. Ill try to make this short but I don't know how many others have fallen in the trap of petsmart banfield but we did for chunks shots (he had had none when he came to live with us) and so we signed up for the healthcare plan which will be up in nov. yesterday we didn't even SEE let alone speak to the vet. We did drop off as they had no apps and they called and said it looks like allergies, the doc will take to us about food recommendations and possible allergy meds when we got there. The vet never came out. All we got was a printout she wrote on about food suggestions and his print out for the visit, no med recs either. We are DONE with banfield and will be looking at the recommended list for bulldog vets on here and go there next time even if the plan isn't up. Long story short, unless you count her lovely food recommendations and her diagnosis we suggested when we dropped him off, we got nada.

I know it has only been a couple of days but how are things going?

OP
Vanprarm

Vanprarm

Jul 27, 2013
Buford, GA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk
Sorry, been a little busy. Chunks doing good. He's been completely on the grain free brand for a couple days now. He still seems to be shaking his head a bit and the fur under his neck seems the same balding wise but not really any worse. Maybe a few tiny spots on the top of his head and ive definitely noticed that the spots have some dry skin. I'm going to give this food some time and the old food to be completely out of system. He really has no other coat or otherwise problems on any part of his body but head and neck. I'm not terribly worried anymore knowing its allergies but I hope his coat starts improving as i want him to be comfortable and content and if he shows no changes I'm going to look back at some of the other food that were recommended to us

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
You are sounding so much more relaxed. I would give the new food at least a month to see if it is going to work for Chunk. Have you looked inside his ear to see if there is yucky stuff in there. Yucky stuff can build up in ears of allergy dogs quite fast.

I don't know if you have seen this link but it tells you all about ear care. http://www.englishbulldognews.com/c...-Nose-Ropes-Folds-Paws-Tail-Pockets-and-Vulva

Thanks so much for the update you both have been on my mind. Take care!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Sorry, been a little busy. Chunks doing good. He's been completely on the grain free brand for a couple days now. He still seems to be shaking his head a bit and the fur under his neck seems the same balding wise but not really any worse. Maybe a few tiny spots on the top of his head and ive definitely noticed that the spots have some dry skin. I'm going to give this food some time and the old food to be completely out of system. He really has no other coat or otherwise problems on any part of his body but head and neck. I'm not terribly worried anymore knowing its allergies but I hope his coat starts improving as i want him to be comfortable and content and if he shows no changes I'm going to look back at some of the other food that were recommended to us
Rebecca, sorry, I meant to get back to you and didn't! So glad Chunks on a grain free food, YES, it will take
a month for the old food to get completely out of his system so it might take that long to see improvements.
Patience, dear friend! I'd wait a month to see results...or not...before adding anything (stop treats for now)
to see what the new food does for him and if continued allergy symptoms try changing proteins (meat source).

For treats just give a little of the new food. Add foods back ONE at a time after a month has passed, waiting a
couple weeks in between so you know what caused what reaction (if any). I also recommend giving meds ONE
at a time for same reason, shots too.

For coat improvement, after month has passed, try 1 teasp of coconut oil to food, once daily. Also, a slice or two
of avocado (or mashed & mixed w/food) avoiding the pit (seed) THAT is poison to the dogs (like apple seeds are)
but avocado fruit is not poisonous. I use EFA GOLD (coconut oil) from Natures Way from Walmart, organic, non
bleached, cold pressed & pure. It is great internally & externally...you can put a small amount on the spots, it is
anti microbiotic, anti bacterial, anti fungal, etc...kills parasites inside & out. The avocado, I used on a balding dog
and his coat came back in, thick & shiny, the white glowed! His scabby sores healed up...it was amazing!

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Prescott, Wisconsin, United States
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
This happened to Loki too! We realized he was allergic to downy! From the towels we used to wipe his face and neck. Also I learned that bullies need sunlight and a lot of them can get alopicia (sorry if I spelt that wrong) his food and shampoo will also play a huge role too.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online