Mange? Allergies?

Vanprarm

Jul 27, 2013
Buford, GA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk
Adopted a two year old bully from my brother about two years ago when he could no longer care for him. Recently he scratched two spots raw in both front armpits which led to infection. He was shaved in the area and put on meds, has been healing nicely. Vet said he could have scratched for a number of reasons but they really had no answers. Currently (about two to three weeks after that) numerous very small balding spots have appeared under his neck. Seem to maybe be spreading to his belly but not incredibly noticeable on the belly yet. Possible spot coming through on head also. I have read around and seem to narrow down to two possibilities: demodex mange or allergies. My bully lived in ohio and this is his first summer in georgia so allergies seemed a strong possibility. He shakes his head but isn't really habitually scratching at anything. Occasionally licks his feet, but there are no bumps just pink skin where it's balding. He currently is eating beneful. STOP! Before you attack me I plan on switching foods and know how bad this brand is. It was what my brother was feeding him and really have recently been educating myself on bully health. Very concerned about balding spots, vet app tomorrow but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. On a budget and my baby is costing me a lot image.jpg

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
Adopted a two year old bully from my brother about two years ago when he could no longer care for him. Recently he scratched two spots raw in both front armpits which led to infection. He was shaved in the area and put on meds, has been healing nicely. Vet said he could have scratched for a number of reasons but they really had no answers. Currently (about two to three weeks after that) numerous very small balding spots have appeared under his neck. Seem to maybe be spreading to his belly but not incredibly noticeable on the belly yet. Possible spot coming through on head also. I have read around and seem to narrow down to two possibilities: demodex mange or allergies. My bully lived in ohio and this is his first summer in georgia so allergies seemed a strong possibility. He shakes his head but isn't really habitually scratching at anything. Occasionally licks his feet, but there are no bumps just pink skin where it's balding. He currently is eating beneful. STOP! Before you attack me I plan on switching foods and know how bad this brand is. It was what my brother was feeding him and really have recently been educating myself on bully health. Very concerned about balding spots, vet app tomorrow but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. On a budget and my baby is costing me a lot View attachment 49845

First of all Welcome to EBN! We are glad that you found us. We welcome you and Chunk into our family.

Bullies are expensive you are so right!

Let's invite [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] in on the conversation about a food/diet she thinks might work. Food is a major source of skin problems in Bullies. Sometimes spending more on food can actually save you money on vet bills in the future.

I am glad to hear that he is not miserable and scratching.

Any sign of fleas? They can cause allergic reactions in bullies.

Where he is balding is it moist or dry?

Let's start there :)

OP
Vanprarm

Vanprarm

Jul 27, 2013
Buford, GA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk
Thank you! It's nice to have an outlet for bully questions. We def plan on switching foods after the vet app tomorrow and talking with her. When he got the original infection I had been convinced it was fleas due to a bug I thought for sure was a flea on him and the scratches under his armpits but never any other signs. My boyfriend and I gave him the flea treatment along his back (no skin problems in this area) and when we took him to the vet they said there was no sign of fleas anymore but it was possible he had them before and the treatment helped?? I'm not really too experienced with all this, it doesn't SEEM moist but I honestly can't say I would know for sure. The food issue is overwhelming. I'm wondering about mange, wheat allergies!?!? I just really hope the vet has some answers :-/

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
IMO it doesn't appear to be mange, I'd say this is an allergy from dry grass/lawn

OP
Vanprarm

Vanprarm

Jul 27, 2013
Buford, GA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk
It would be a great relief if it were just allergies, I just want to make sure he is healthy and happy! Any advice anyone has on solutions or other suggestions of what this might be would be so nice! Such a breath of relief to hear someone's opinion on these issues

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well hello there and welcome. head shaking and feet licking are a sign of allergies. also balding spots and red skin sound like allergy to. you can give benadryl 1 pill per 25 pounds. you can perhaps put some peroxide on the balding spots as you dont want another infection and they could turn into hot spots which are bacteria in nature. if he is itching you can put some hydrocortisone on it if the benadryl doesnt stop it. food is an issue for sure. if he is already having trouble perhaps start with a limited ingredient diet such as nvi lid. picking a protein for your bully is the first step imo. this could be fleas grass laundry detergent. perhaps a bath to help ease the itching and wash whatever it is off in case its environmental.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
IMO I would bathe him, with a baby shampoo, something gentle, rinse really well, and then mix 1 gal of water to 1 cup white vinegar, pour over him and leave it on. Dry and whala he's good for a week or two. The dry dead grass is dusty and gets irritating after bit. I imagine if I was to roll around on dust or dry grass, I'd get kinda itchy too. LOL
In the meantime, give him a couple of Benedryl (2 tablets) twice a day, 1 vitamin C and 1 vitamin Zinc ..a dollop of plain yogurt on 1 meal a day. AND fresh water often, if it's slimy, it ain't fresh. Please keep me posted :2thumbs:

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
Thank you! It's nice to have an outlet for bully questions. We def plan on switching foods after the vet app tomorrow and talking with her. When he got the original infection I had been convinced it was fleas due to a bug I thought for sure was a flea on him and the scratches under his armpits but never any other signs. My boyfriend and I gave him the flea treatment along his back (no skin problems in this area) and when we took him to the vet they said there was no sign of fleas anymore but it was possible he had them before and the treatment helped?? I'm not really too experienced with all this, it doesn't SEEM moist but I honestly can't say I would know for sure. The food issue is overwhelming. I'm wondering about mange, wheat allergies!?!? I just really hope the vet has some answers :-/

Since he is already on the B food another day or two won't hurt. You might want to get your vets opinion and then come back here and ask about it. I don't know how much experience your vet has with feeding bullies maybe a whole bunch or maybe none. I do know that the group of people you have found here having an amazing amount of knowledge on one subject and that is Bulldogs. You are on the right track. Chunk is most likely going to be living a grain free life. You and Chunk are in the right place, we will help you get through this.

OP
Vanprarm

Vanprarm

Jul 27, 2013
Buford, GA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk
I can't tell you how good it feels to have legitimate advice as I really don't trust the vet in regards to doing the best for chunks health but feel forced as I am no where near experienced in dealing with all this. Right now the more posts I read it is seeming to most likely be allergies as the head shaking and feet licking are like a bell going off in my head, like duh! Why didn't I put two and two together. Feel bad that I couldn't catch this before it got to this point though. The fur loss was so alarming in such a localized area. As of right now, I have a bottle of oatmeal bath that i plan to give tomorrow after the vet as its late and he tends to lose his mind after baths lol :-) and will for sure ask opinions on the food the vet recommends and what she says about the hair loss. I am for sure leaning towards a grain free food and that my chunk is just feeling those frustrating bulldog allergies. Fingers crossed! Thank you all again so much and I will keep you posted!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I can't tell you how good it feels to have legitimate advice as I really don't trust the vet in regards to doing the best for chunks health but feel forced as I am no where near experienced in dealing with all this. Right now the more posts I read it is seeming to most likely be allergies as the head shaking and feet licking are like a bell going off in my head, like duh! Why didn't I put two and two together. Feel bad that I couldn't catch this before it got to this point though. The fur loss was so alarming in such a localized area. As of right now, I have a bottle of oatmeal bath that i plan to give tomorrow after the vet as its late and he tends to lose his mind after baths lol :-) and will for sure ask opinions on the food the vet recommends and what she says about the hair loss. I am for sure leaning towards a grain free food and that my chunk is just feeling those frustrating bulldog allergies. Fingers crossed! Thank you all again so much and I will keep you posted!

Ok, I hate to tell you this, IMO I'd skip the oatmeal as it's a grain, hence the Baby shampoo. cleansing without residue washing all traces of dust and allergens behind. the vinegar will rinse off anything else and balance the ph level.

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey

Here is a list of vets that our members trust with their bullies. I don't know if there is one that will work for you but it might be worth a look. http://www.englishbulldognews.com/c...ews-Recommended-English-Bulldog-Veterinarians

OP
Vanprarm

Vanprarm

Jul 27, 2013
Buford, GA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk
No, thank you! The only way to help him is to learn from others and I def need the help! Will pick up some baby shampoo tomorrow

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
Welcome to EBN! You have totem some excellent suggestions, please keep us posted on how things go after the vet! Can't wait to see more pics too! :)

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
No, thank you! The only way to help him is to learn from others and I def need the help! Will pick up some baby shampoo tomorrow

yep and it's inexpensive too :2thumbs: don't forget the white vinegar. If you put vinegar in your bully's water use a different kind, Use the one with the Mother in it. ACV with the mother, sold in health food section Bragg is the brand name. But for bath's white vinegar , and that's cheap too.

NolaJane67

Jul 6, 2013
Central Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Nola Jane & Nash
Sounds like allergies to me. Nash has these se spots and after several trips to the vet, I researched and found that bullies often have grain allergies at this point I checked dog food and found blue Buffalo freedom little more expensive than regular dog food but worth it in savings with vet bills. Be sure you mix the food a little bit of time to get them acclimated with the new food don't just go straight to something new. try blue buffalo "Freedom" if not check into anything else grain free. We saw improvements in about three weeks and that was two years ago and never seen those spots again! Good luck with Chunk!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.