Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brie
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Mange? Allergies?

Welcome to EBN! You have totem some excellent suggestions, please keep us posted on how things go after the vet! Can't wait to see more pics too!

Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Vanprarm View Post
    No, thank you! The only way to help him is to learn from others and I def need the help! Will pick up some baby shampoo tomorrow

yep and it's inexpensive too don't forget the white vinegar. If you put vinegar in your bully's water use a different kind, Use the one with the Mother in it. ACV with the mother, sold in health food section Bragg is the brand name. But for bath's white vinegar , and that's cheap too.
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nola Jane & Nash
    Likes (Received)

Sounds like allergies to me. Nash has these se spots and after several trips to the vet, I researched and found that bullies often have grain allergies at this point I checked dog food and found blue Buffalo freedom little more expensive than regular dog food but worth it in savings with vet bills. Be sure you mix the food a little bit of time to get them acclimated with the new food don't just go straight to something new. try blue buffalo "Freedom" if not check into anything else grain free. We saw improvements in about three weeks and that was two years ago and never seen those spots again! Good luck with Chunk!

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Mary
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bogey
    Likes (Received)

The only way to rule out mange is a scraping. It costs about $25. It could be allergies, but by the time you do the switch of food and wait for the results, if it is mange, it will have gotten worse. I would opt for the test AND transition to grain free. That way you'll know for sure. Dermodex mange is not contagious to other pets or humans, but it can cause great discomfort to the host. Treatment for it was not a great deal of $$$. Bogey is on his 3 rd week of treatment and his patch was a small quarter sized pink, hairless spot on his neck when we found it. Good luck!!!
    "We never really own a dog as much as they own us!"

Real Name
    Rebecca
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chunk
    Likes (Received)

Chunk is at the vet now but wanting to work out the food situation when I pick him up. Def going to do grain free but any preferences from these options: blue freedom grain free chicken dog food, blue buffalo wilderness salmon dog food, or natural balance limited ingredient sweet potato and chicken..... The natural balance food we would have to go to a store a little bit away for but if its necessary we can. Any preferences for a bulldog with allergies? FYI budget and petsmart/petco are really our only options for purchasing specialty foods :-) thanks

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fergus
    Likes (Received)

I would stay away from Chicken as a protein. Blue Buffalo grain free salmon would be a good choice to start with. Remember to do a slow transition from old food to good food. It can take up to a month for the old food to work out of his system. A lot of vets will push science diet or royal canine don't do it unless you want continued issues with allergies.

Real Name
    Debbie
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Rube
    Likes (Received)

good luck with figuring out the right food..I have had my girl for 6.5 yrs and still doubt myself on food..shampoo etc.. it's always something. my vet says she is just doing me a lot of the time when i bring her in because i think her ear is bothering her or something. he looks and says nope she's fine. she for sure has a grass allery of course fleas etc but we dont allow those here at all. best wishes with chunk

The New Casper Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Todd
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harlea
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Good luck with your food searches. There are lots of options out there and even if you can't get it local you can always order online from places like petflow.

Doggie Boutique Owner christyjulene's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christy
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abbey
    Likes (Received)

Chunk is at the vet now but wanting to work out the food situation when I pick him up. Def going to do grain free but any preferences from these options: blue freedom grain free chicken dog food, blue buffalo wilderness salmon dog food, or natural balance limited ingredient sweet potato and chicken..... The natural balance food we would have to go to a store a little bit away for but if its necessary we can. Any preferences for a bulldog with allergies? FYI budget and petsmart/petco are really our only options for purchasing specialty foods :-) thanks
    http://www.englishbulldognews.com/co...g-Food-Choices
    Abbey is looking for a forever home

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

How is Chunk and what was they outcome of the vet appointment? Try to avoid chicken as the protein, many bullies have issue with chicken.... @cowsmom has great knowledge of kibble and can help with finding something for your baby
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

well my first choice would be petco and nvi limited ingredient lamb. if your petco doesnt have that then wellness core. if your dog is ok with chicken then bb freedom. simply nourish at petsmart makes a grain free but its chicken also. not much to choose from really. i was looking at the natural balance and it seems they have changed their formulas and the meat is no longer the first ingredient so i dont really like that. thats all i can think of tonight with my brain ready for bed.

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

You've gotten great advice..I just want to applaud you for trying so hard for your Bully!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads