Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
This morning, Brie was kind enough to push her butt up into my face to wake me up.. She has a god awful smell there. It doesn't seem to be her actual butt, but above..under her til maybe? I've wiped under there s bunch and the wipes are brownish. i have also wiped w witch hazel pads. i don't want to do too much w out knowing what im doing..if that makes any sense. It really doesn't smell like poop tho..she just had surgery, as you know, so I was wondering if maybe this is an effect from the anesthesia or surgery in any way? She didn't have this smell when we dropped her off so its hard to imagine she developed a yeast infection over night? It doesn't smell corn chippy in any way. She did not poop for about 24 hours so may e her anal glands just got weirded out from everything? Not sure what is going on or what to do...please help.

Last edited:

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I have no advice on this one... but I will say that I got a whiff of Winston's tail pocket & it had a nasty smell. Need to get that cleaned out ASAP!!! Poor Brie :nope: you guys just can't seem to catch a break lately...

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
I'd bet its her tail pocket. The brown stuff is a yeasty, smelling, yucky mess. That area has to be cleaned - look on here for advise about it. I have to clean Momo's all the time. If you don't keep it clean it can get infected. Good Luck!

OP
Lisabear123

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
I have no advice on this one... but I will say that I got a whiff of Winston's tail pocket & it had a nasty smell. Need to get that cleaned out ASAP!!! Poor Brie :nope: you guys just can't seem to catch a break lately...

...sigh...doesn't seem so, but it could be worse. I need more wipes,not sure what to keep wiping her with..wipes, warm wash cloth, witch hazel, combination? I'm going to buy the Braggs acv today..would putting some of that on a warm water wash cloth help?

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
just make sure that after you wipe with a wet wipe, wash cloth, etc, that you put some powder in there to dry it out. It gets moist on its own, which is why it smells so yeasty, so you gotta clean with wet and dry with powder. Good Luck! Its no fun but they feel better.

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
sounds like it is the tail pocket. Amber and Ruby have deep tail pockets so I have to really get under the tail to clean them both. In the beginning I used wipes but they would tear up so I bought some curity diapers and use them for butt cleaning and tail pocket cleaning. I also have an old water pik that works great for the tail pocket. Lemon juice and baking soda work well for cleaning and then the witch hazel afterwards because it dries quick. Then I follow that up with Lotrimin foot powder. I get one of the sucktion bulbs people use on babies and fill it with the powder, then I squirk it under the tail in the tail pocket and it is a great way of getting the powder up in there. Also, the lotrimin is an antifungal powder so yeast has a harder time growing. This is my process and I clean the tail pockets twice a week on my girls, good luck.

OP
Lisabear123

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
I thought yeast was more of a frito corn chip smell tho? This is more like a 100 day old swamp poo butt smell..lmbo. I have been wiping her tail fold regularly so not sure y we would get yeasty..grrr

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
Are you digging down into the tail area, all the way to the back? Some can have deep tail pockets. My Mona has a deep one. I can go about 2 1/2 digits into her tail pocket before I get to the back area.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Basically you want to clean it out and use something that will dry it out. This is for maintaining it. If you have the brown gunk you have either yeast or bacteria, or both. It can literally grow into a big pile of brown mush overnight. It thrives in that area, it's warm, sweaty, gets no air, it's the perfect place for yeast and bacteria to live.

So you will need antifungal and antibacterial because you never know what it is and it's probably both. My product of choice is malacetic ultra but I only use it until it is better. Then it's just witch hazel and medicated powder.

Her surgery could have caused it due to stress, the good skin bacteria lowered and gave the bad the chance to thrive.

Great idea on using the baby bulb [MENTION=5404]dalmatina38[/MENTION]! I learned another new trick today!!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

OP
Lisabear123

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
I never even knew she had a 'pocket' when I clean under her tail, I don't feel any holes or anything. I know she could use a really good bath but the dr said not until after her next eye check up. It is really hard to lift her tail up cos it is so piggy like. I will try my best to get under n find this pocket. On hand, I have witch hazel so I will soak a wash cloth w wam water and witch hazel and keep wiping til there is no more brown. Then, is there anything I can use to clear up whatever it might be or do I need to take her to vet..I don't have the medicated things you suggested atm. I can get acv today, or anything at the pharmacy etc. I will get lotrimin powder and a bulb. Is it just regular lotrimin?

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
You've gotten great advice and as Lisa @desertskybulldogs said, right now
you must aggressively treat w/meds, etc to knock this out after it's cleared
up, witch hazel & all is daily cleaning. I know it's overwhelming, y'all have had
back to back problems but Hun...one thing and one step at a time...you can do
this and once these things are solved...they'll be BEHIND you!

Relax, breathe, believe in yourself & your abilities (Brie's got a great Mom) and
know we've got your back! GOD bless!!

emilymtz86

Jul 22, 2013
Waco, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Big Momma
Oh my tail pocket?? Ima have to look for the article on cleaning this out. Never heard of such a thing... Research mode starting!

OP
Lisabear123

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
Thank you all...I will do whatever I need to for her. I'm just tired n a bit brain dead today so please forgive me..

OK..I'm going shopping in a bit for this issue .. would someone please give me a list of what I need to buy, please..

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
...sigh...doesn't seem so, but it could be worse. I need more wipes,not sure what to keep wiping her with..wipes, warm wash cloth, witch hazel, combination? I'm going to buy the Braggs acv today..would putting some of that on a warm water wash cloth help?

Yes it could. Vinegar is a natural cleaner and PH balancer, as well as inhibits yeast growth. And it neutralizes odors too.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online