The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I think we have found the one thing that Harlea can't stand and that is lemon juice. We have only needed to give it to her a few time but it is a fight and now she is running when she sees the bottle. I am looking for suggestions on how best to give it to her. We have tried squirting it, teaspoons and freezing it in to cube with no luck. My next option was to try a medicine syringe to see if that will work. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
I think we have found the one thing that Harlea can't stand and that is lemon juice. We have only needed to give it to her a few time but it is a fight and now she is running when she sees the bottle. I am looking for suggestions on how best to give it to her. We have tried squirting it, teaspoons and freezing it in to cube with no luck. My next option was to try a medicine syringe to see if that will work. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

lemon juice is sometimes a life or death situation. hold her and squirt it in. end of story. Lola hates it too but before her palate surgery she had no choice, get a squirt so you can breathe..

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
That is what we had to use a few times... syringe, side of the mouth toward the throat

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
Sadly, I think if she is getting it cos she is having difficulty breathing one of you will need to hold her while the other squirts it in her mouth...

OP
Marine91

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Sadly, I think if she is getting it cos she is having difficulty breathing one of you will need to hold her while the other squirts it in her mouth...

She hasn't had any trouble breathing. Just a bit phlemy at times. If it was for trouble breathing it would be no question and all hands on deck to give it to her. Just trying to get ideas for times when I am not around and she needs it as my wife is disabled and while she can hold her now she won't be able to when Harlea gets bigger and stronger.

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
She hasn't had any trouble breathing. Just a bit phlemy at times. If it was for trouble breathing it would be no question and all hands on deck to give it to her. Just trying to get ideas for times when I am not around and she needs it as my wife is disabled and while she can hold her now she won't be able to when Harlea gets bigger and stronger.

understood. I wonder if it just a cpl squirts if you can squirt it into those pill pocket treats and then give it to her?

OP
Marine91

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
understood. I wonder if it just a cpl squirts if you can squirt it into those pill pocket treats and then give it to her?

I didn think about those. Not sure how it would work with liquid though.

OP
Marine91

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
What using non flavored gelatin and making your own type of gel caps or something?

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
I didn think about those. Not sure how it would work with liquid though.

I know they are thick n the dogs eat eat them quick. The center has a hole n u squeeze the top to close it...it would be like a starburst gusher hooya thing for her lol

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
Or...what about squirting it on to a tiny piece of bread? The bread would soak up the juice.

OP
Marine91

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
[MENTION=9236]Lisabear123[/MENTION] That is a good idea and may have to try it. My wife found a way to give it to her that she doesn't fight as much by using a drinking straw. Harlea thinks it is a toy and when she went to chew on it and had one end of her mouth on it my wife released the lemon juice and she got the dose. We will see how that continues to work. lol

FORDE'SMOM

Jun 17, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Forde
Forde is same way....hates lemon juice and runs if he sees me with the bottle of it...even if its not for him ........in the last few months i have started adding a few drops in his water each morning...it takes a while...but eventually he gets all the water down...:)

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
Well that is a great idea! It always works better if it is fun for them I think! :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online