Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reaction to shots?

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bandit and Kozmo Monster
    Likes (Received)

Default Reaction to shots?

Bandit is 5 years old and received his 3yr rabies shot last tuesday. He also got a Leptovax4 vaccine. He has had both before. He developed a large knot in the spot where the rabies shot was given, I called the vet to let them know and gave him Benadryl. It was just about gone by friday evening. Then saturday one side of his sweet little face started to swell. I upped the benadryl and watched for improvement. The swelling subsided early sunday. During all of this Bandit wasn't acting like himself which I figured he just wasn't feeling good and blamed that. Well it is now a week later and his behavior is getting worse. He has been very snappy with my other dog, he will not go outside, even started pottying in the house and he has NEVER done that. He is also snappy with me no matter how I try to coax him to go out he gets very snippy. This is unlike my Bandit and I am so worried. Has anyone else gone thru something like this after shots? I have an appt with the vet friday but not really sure what they can do. There is no obvious pain or reaction area on him. Any experiences or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Heather, Bandit and the Kozmo Monster
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The New Casper Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Todd
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harlea
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Reaction to shots?

I am not much help here but I am sure someone with more information than I can give will be along shortly. I hope you get to the bottom of the issue soon so your baby starts feeling better.

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bandit and Kozmo Monster
    Likes (Received)

Thank you! I am so worried about him. I have never experienced anything like this. I am hoping that maybe I am just being paranoid and his behavior is unrelated to the shots, maybe just the full moon or something heh. Just seems so coincidental

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Jim B.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chumley and Hershey
    Likes (Received)

Heather please read my thread about chumleys rabies shot reaction. He's had some side effects from his 3 yr rabies shot also. There were a lot of great suggestions from other members here. I will also pm you.

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brie
    Likes (Received)

I was just about to tag you on here about Chumley..lol I'm of no use w advice here...,just hoping bandit gets better soon!

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bandit and Kozmo Monster
    Likes (Received)

Thanks!

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=HeatherTaylor;370015]Bandit is 5 years old and received his 3yr rabies shot last tuesday. He also got a Leptovax4 vaccine. He has had both before. He developed a large knot in the spot where the rabies shot was given, I called the vet to let them know and gave him Benadryl. It was just about gone by friday evening. Then saturday one side of his sweet little face started to swell. I upped the benadryl and watched for improvement. The swelling subsided early sunday. During all of this Bandit wasn't acting like himself which I figured he just wasn't feeling good and blamed that. Well it is now a week later and his behavior is getting worse. He has been very snappy with my other dog, he will not go outside, even started pottying in the house and he has NEVER done that. He is also snappy with me no matter how I try to coax him to go out he gets very snippy. This is unlike my Bandit and I am so worried. Has anyone else gone thru something like this after shots? I have an appt with the vet friday but not really sure what they can do. There is no obvious pain or reaction area on him. Any experiences or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Heather, Yes, I believe Bandit had an allergic reaction to the shots. This can happen even if they've
    had the shots previously. Is there Lepto in your area or do you & Bandit go in the woodsy, swampy
    areas a lot? Not to mention these should not be given together and at 5 y/o, you should ask for titers
    drawn, he may have enough immunity to not need the shots. After my dogs have all their shots, I only
    do rabies as required by law, no others. Of course, I do not go to doggy day care, doggy parks, etc and
    have privacy fence so Cami isn't exposed to other dogs. I'd get him in NOW for the antidote w/the
    behavior you're describing even if I went there and waited w/out appt. Shame on their lacksidaisical
    and uncaring attitude especially knowing bullies are extra sensitive. DEMAND he get in immediately.

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bandit and Kozmo Monster
    Likes (Received)

What is the antidote?
    Unfortunately Lepto is highly recommended around here. We are around a lot of woods and wildlife, however I don't go take my dogs to daycare or dog parks. Thank you for your response! Calling vet again now.

Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=HeatherTaylor;370140]What is the antidote?
    Unfortunately Lepto is highly recommended around here. We are around a lot of woods and wildlife, however I don't go take my dogs to daycare or dog parks. Thank you for your response! Calling vet again now.

If you & Bandit don't mess around the woods very much then Vet shouldn't reccmded it.

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bandit and Kozmo Monster
    Likes (Received)

My backyard has a lot of woods with deer, rabbits, squirrels and fox. Possums and raccoons too. I think in this area they recommend it to everyone, there is a ton of wildlife and farms in this county.
    I am taking him today at 6:45 unless he shows an emergency type something before then. I am stuck at work til 4pm .I cant wait til I can go home i am so worried about my Bandit.

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherTaylor View Post
    My backyard has a lot of woods with deer, rabbits, squirrels and fox. Possums and raccoons too. I think in this area they recommend it to everyone, there is a ton of wildlife and farms in this county.
    I am taking him today at 6:45 unless he shows an emergency type something before then. I am stuck at work til 4pm .I cant wait til I can go home i am so worried about my Bandit.

We live in the foothills and have lots of deer,fox,raccoon,mountain lions and black bear. I have never heard of this vaccine. Maybe our wildlife don't carry something here that yours do? I agree with Carol. Get the blood test to see his immunity levels before any vaccines again. We all learned a lot through what our sweet @Chumley endured.

Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=HeatherTaylor;370158]My backyard has a lot of woods with deer, rabbits, squirrels and fox. Possums and raccoons too. I think in this area they recommend it to everyone, there is a ton of wildlife and farms in this county.

Oh Heather...I'm sorry...Bandit should be alright, I just meant your Vet has NO business
    making him wait until Friday when he clearly had a reaction and don't let him try and tell
    you, it's unrelated when you get there...it is! If Bandit was mine I would NOT give any
    more vacs now that this happened, you can get a waiver for him. At 5/yo, he should have
    plenty of immunity built up. There is a movement going on where concerned Vets are
    trying to make it so that rabies are given every 7 to 10 years, that's how long dogs are
    showing immunity to the current shot schedule. A POX on money grubbing Vets!!!

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads