Help Needed! Reaction to shots?

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
What is the lepto shot for? I live in northern NJ and we are loaded up with wildlife and I've never heard of that vaccine before.

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
What is the lepto shot for? I live in northern NJ and we are loaded up with wildlife and I've never heard of that vaccine before.
It is a bacteria that can cause liver and kidney failure, it can effect the spleen, eyes, nervous system in dogs. It is usually spread by contact with urine from wildlife and in bodies of water. People can catch it from their pets. If you type canine leptospirosis map into your search engine and look under images you will find a map of the US (ten years old) that shows where lepto is found.

OP
HeatherTaylor

HeatherTaylor

Jul 30, 2012
Harford County Maryland
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bandit and Kozmo Monster
I took Bandit to the vet yesterday evening. I explained everything that had happened since the shots but they still dont think it is because of the shots. Other than the swelling he had on his hip that is gone now. They gave him a pretty thorough physical exam and did blood work and urinalysis. Everything has come back clean but Bandit is still not acting right. He definitely doesn't feel good, threw up once and refuses to go outside which is very unlike him. I really don't know what to do now. :( the vet I go to I have always been very happy with. They saved my first bully boy. I feel terrible that I don't seem to be able to help bandit get over whatever is going on with him and of course I am worried sick about him.

Heather, Bandit and the Kozmo Monster
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
I am so sorry you did not get any help Heather. It is not unusual for vets to deny that vaccinations will trigger these responses. The two vaccinations Bandit was given have the highest amount of side effects of all the vaccines on the market. They should have been given 3 to 4 weeks apart. Unfortunately your vet did what most vets do to save time and money is he gave them both at once. Bandit was one of the unlucky few to have a severe reaction. You might want to look up rabies miasm there is an article in Dogs Naturally magazine that explains what holistic vets do to treat vaccination reactions. There is a DVM in Bel Air Tiekert, Carvel DVM - American Holistic Vet Med Association. I just found in the yellow pages no recommendation that I think is near you. Take care of each other and you will make it through this.

OP
HeatherTaylor

HeatherTaylor

Jul 30, 2012
Harford County Maryland
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bandit and Kozmo Monster
Thank you. Unfortunately we are back at the vet this morning. He has now developed diarrhea and started to break out in hives. I gave him two benadryl and ran here to the bet. I am now waiting to hear what they think now. I am so upset. Thank you all for your recommendations and support.

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
[MENTION=5559]HeatherTaylor[/MENTION] you may want to get a second opinion from another vet, the reason I say that is because if doubling up on the shots is causing this the vet who did that may not want to admit it.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Oh geez this breaks my heart, I was hoping he was on the mend. :(. Please keep us posted.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I have nothing to add that other haven't already stated, but we are sending thoughts and prayers your way for a speedy recovery and true identification of the cause of your problems.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you. Unfortunately we are back at the vet this morning. He has now developed diarrhea and started to break out in hives. I gave him two benadryl and ran here to the bet. I am now waiting to hear what they think now. I am so upset. Thank you all for your recommendations and support.

Prayers and positive thoughts that Bandit is recovering. Please keep us posted

OP
HeatherTaylor

HeatherTaylor

Jul 30, 2012
Harford County Maryland
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bandit and Kozmo Monster
Thanks again everyone. Same office different Dr. this time.I am more familiar with this Dr. Usually I request a particular Dr but this was an emergency visit just like the other night. This Dr said she felt it was a delayed reaction to the shots. He got antihistamine injection and steroid. We have prednisone pills, Metronidazole, probiotics and lots of benadryl to take each day. He already seems to feel a bit better but is still petrified of going out in the yard. Hopefully that will improve soon too.

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
THANK GOODNESS!!!! I am so glad that you got a vet that was able to help you and listen to you. The back yard thing will probably pass soon as he starts to feel better. I'm thinking that it must not be much fun though if he has diarrhea. Thank you so much for letting us know how both of you are doing you have been on my mind all day. Take care.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.