General Question What heartworm pill do you use?

Koakley

Jan 16, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Tanker Ram
So our 14 month old bullie has been on Trifexis pretty much all of his life. After reading all of the BAD things about Trifexis, we are wanting to switch him to a different medication for heartworm and flea prevention. What do ya'll use to protect your bullies!? Any recommendations?

RazrRila99

Mar 24, 2013
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Colossus
I have one more dose of HeartGuard then Im going to talk to my vet about Sentinel. Its a one pill flea and heartworm. A few here have had good success with it.

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
I have Brie n Triheart currently (I think)?, but want to discuss Sentinel as well. Does sentinel protect from ticks as well as fleas and heart worm?

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Harlea is on Sentinel. It covers fleas, ticks and worms. The only difference that I know between it and Triflexis other than being safer is that it doesn't kill the adult fleas if she has them. It breaks the reproductive cycle and kills the eggs and larva.

Last edited:

TomVan

Jun 5, 2013
Missouri
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bailey & Zoey
Bailey is 14 weeks yesterday, weighs 15.2 pounds yesterday, got her last shots yesterday and today I gave her her first sentinel pill. She took it like a champ but she loves her food and will eat almost anything.

Attachments

• DSC_0041.jpg
    DSC_0041.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 125

buffym

Apr 30, 2013
Allen Park, Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie, Dually (Forever in my Heart)
I have Dually on Sentinel. Have never used anything else with any of my furbabies. Its a once a month heartworm and flea treatment and it works great, although can be a bit pricey!! I stock piled it when I worked at a vet clinic and got a huge discount!!

Sheena

Community Veteran
May 18, 2013
Northwest Indiana
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
We use Sentinel too. It seems to work pretty good. But it only kills flea eggs not the actuall fleas.. So If you think there are fleas Advantix and heartgard is a good combo.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I have used Heart-Guard Plus for over 4 years with Vegas

emilymtz86

Jul 22, 2013
Waco, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Big Momma
i use to use trifexis on all of my dogs but few months ago i heard about all the reviews and that they will not pay for heartworm treatment if your dog was to get it while on the pill so we decieded to change to heart guard as of right now thats what we use on our bully.. But when i go next month i will ask about the sentinel :) since majority of the user suggest it for their bullies.. anyone know what we could use for ticks?? i walk my bully to a field across the street to use the restroom when we get home ive notice a couple of times she has one or 2 on her.. :( and my vet told me theres not much out there to repell against ticks all month long like for heartworms :(

Bo'sMamaGirl

Aug 22, 2012
Nothern KY
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bocephus
We use heartguard chewables for Bacon, good call on avoiding triflexis

Brad went to the vet with Bo this am for a pedicure and heart guard refill. He just called and said they are no longer selling it bc there was a recall and are now selling something else that is twice the price. Saw from your post that you're using it... I hadn't heard anything about a recall.. You?? Can I buy it somewhere else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, we use Revolution. It protects against fleas, ticks and Heartworm. We use it between June and October, and it is administered once a month as a drop in between the shoulder blades. This is their second season on this medication as they are only 16 months old, and they both do well on it with no side effects or problems. The cost of Revolution is about $150 for a six month supply.

BoomerBoy

Apr 26, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Boomer
Heartgard is not on recall. It's another product called IVERHEART PLUS chewable tablets.

I use Heartgard Plus and Frontline Plus for all my past dogs as well as my present Boomer my bully, Bailey my Golden and Merlin my Newfoundland.

Bo'sMamaGirl

Aug 22, 2012
Nothern KY
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bocephus
Heartgard is not on recall. It's another product called IVERHEART PLUS chewable tablets.

I use Heartgard Plus and Frontline Plus for all my past dogs as well as my present Boomer my bully, Bailey my Golden and Merlin my Newfoundland.
Sorry @BoomerBoy, you are right, Brad had his selective listening feature turned on this am at the vet. I just got off the phone with our vet, she said no recall, they just decided to carry a new product, Trifexus. She said they also have a shot for the heart worm as well (unsure of the name).

I can see people are unhappy with the Trifexus... what about it don't you guys like??
Just trying to figure out where to go from here.... I need to make a decision soon... he is due for the heart guard!!

Help!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.