Could it be a cold?

Gfitz911

Aug 9, 2012
Long Beach, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Koozer
I need some advice from those of you who have gone through doggy colds before. For the last 2 days, Koozer has been a little phlemy, sounds slightly congested, has bouts of sneezing, and has had occasional loose stool. All this is not normal for him. This morning, he woke up and had the tiniest bit of dried green discharge on one nostril. Other than those things, he is completely normal. He is eating fine, energy level is fine, drinking fine, etc. Could this just be a cold? Should I just watch him over the next few days, or should I bring him to the vet today? Much appreciated for the wisdom:yes:

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Is the phlemy and sneezing only in the morning or does it continue throughout the day? As long as he is still eating and drinking without any issues I would give him a few days and see if he works past it. If it gets any worse I would consider seeing the vet, especially if he starts coughing and it sounds like he is having breathing issues. I've never had first hand experience with Bacon getting a cold, but I'm sure someone will be along shortly with some more advice, I'll tag a few people.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Does he seem to have a fever? It could be environmental allergies

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I was thinking seasonal allergies too.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Since this is very much out of the ordinary for him, and he also has loose stools, I would take him to the vet. Their lungs can be compromised pretty quickly and I would just want to make sure they were clear. I hope he feels better very quickly. I know how we all hate it when our babies are not feeling themselves. :)

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
The greenish discharge concerns me a little and might indicate a bacterial infection. I would take him to the vet to be on the safe side.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Green discharge means infection. Or, if your my Otis... your brain is leaking out. Either way he would benefit from some antibiotics.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I agree I would go to the vet. I could even be Valley Fever as well, which is common in the Western USA

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
I here w the rest, is there s colored discharge it usually means one kind if infection..along w sneezing, coughing etc, I would take him to the vet to be safe.

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
[MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] beat me to it! Green discharge, either from a human or animal = infection. I'm dealing with a foster EB that has an upper respiratory infection that he's on meds for. Good luck! Keep us posted.

OP
Gfitz911

Gfitz911

Aug 9, 2012
Long Beach, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Koozer
Thanks everyone for the advice! Koozer is doing better. We got him on some antibiotics, but it is only day three on those. He seems less congested and the stools have improved and are normal. No more discharge! The only thing still abnormal is he is a bit lethargic. Nothing too bad, just noticeable. Could that be from the antibiotic? All in all, I think we are on the mend, so thanks again:D

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Glad to hear he's getting better!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)