Help Needed! Too lazy to potty?!

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
Matilda, at 1 yr old now, has very good bladder control but she rarely ever wants to go to the bathroom. It's very strange to me. I try to take her out four times a day, but usually she's sleeping and doesn't want to be bothered. I'll sit there and try to bribe out the door, but she just looks at me like, "Stop it." She will ask to go out if she has to go, but it's hardly ever anymore.

This is especially true if she's tired. She played really hard with a bunch of dogs this weekend and yesterday, we went out at about 9AM. Matilda then refused to budge (or even wake up) for the next TWELVE HOURS. If my boyfriend had been here, I would've made him carry her outside but she wouldn't move for me and I can't lift her.

She didn't seem bothered at all, and when she finally got up to eat, at 9PM, I made her go out and potty.

I guess it's nice that she has a strong bladder and doesn't need to go out as frequently as other dogs, but at the same time, I'm worried that she's holding it and being too lazy to get up and go when she needs to.

Should I just leave her alone and take her when she asks/if I'm leaving the house *just in case*? Or should I make sure we go as scheduled (9AM, 12PM, 6PM, before bed) This is a daily struggle with us, especially if she's busy (sleeping, playing with a toy haha).

Should I let her judge her own body or would that be a risk for infection?

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
We have had issues with Ruthie pottying since day 1 so I feel your pain. She REFUSES to go...so we just let her hold it until she wants out. We always say...we can't force her to go. Ruthie hates going. Even last night before bed, I made her go out, she didn't go and when she came back in, went to the bed and peed on it. We are always having to make sure she actually goes off the porch to go cause she won't...she will come back to the door acting like she went. She did this on Friday and pooped in the house because I thought she went that morning...nope she didn't. I'll be watching this thread for peoples advice because I need it too! Good Luck, I'm sure someone here can help you! I also have to add that we do have her on a schedule and her going in the house is VERY rare. But she just gets so stubborn and refuses.

OP
hnhammond

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
Yeah, Matilda actually uses the bathroom on command, if I can get her outside... It's just getting that big squashy butt to get up! haha

She also never has accidents in the house, so maybe she really just doesn't need to go?

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Winston used to do this all of the time too, I think part of it is their stubbornness and their mind set that they will only do things on their terms LOL! :p He was great until he hit about a year old then he also started to do this. It took us while but we went back to basic training and he is finally back on track. We stuck to his scheduled times of 6am, 12pm, 5pm, and usually around 9pm or right before he goes to bed. Rule of thumb I think is if they are outside for 10 mins and dont go they dont have to. Most of the time Winston would try to run right back inside but when we didn't let him do that, he went. Now he knows his schedule and is soo much better about getting up and going out. I am not sure why but I noticed if I clap a couple of times and tell him its time to go outside he gets up. I hope you find something that works for Ms. Tilly! Good luck!

HeatherTaylor

Jul 30, 2012
Harford County Maryland
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bandit and Kozmo Monster
I am anxious to see replies on this also. My 5 year old male doesn't want to go potty more than once or twice a day. It always worries me that it is going to hurt him somehow not going as often as most dogs. And is it laziness or is it just he really doesn't have the urge to go more often? He never has accidents inside. My other male bullie goes almost too often lol,

Heather, Bandit and the Kozmo Monster
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
So Dudley has always been really good about the whole potty issue. He was potty trained by 12 weeks (I'm not kidding). Always good. In two+ years, he's only had two accidents -- and he had an upset tummy. I let him out in the yard at 6 am. We walk around the block at 7 am. Then he hangs around the house while I go upstairs to work. He goes out again around 2 pm. Then he usually does't go out again until 6 or 7...then again around 9 or 10. If I'm going out, I always try to get him to go...if I tell him to "go tinkle", he trots off and goes!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Bea would never go potty and probably EXPLODE if left to her own devices. In fact, there was a period of days where grandma was babysitting and wasn't MAKING her go outside and off the porch and down into the grass in the "dog meadow". (my uncut lawn - Bo is allergic to grass and when it's cut it's worse) She held it as long as she could and finally had to pee in the house -- out of desperation, I know. Bea may only pee twice a day - once in the morning and once on the walk in the afternoon. (If she plays in the pool, she'll pee a lot more because she's drinking gallons of water.)

I've been out of the country for 10 days (plus two days travel) and grandma had to clean up two piss spots. Not because Bea is lazy - but because grandma is. She neglects watching Bea and making certain she goes down the porch steps into the grass. :cursing: Once Bea hits the grass, we're home free. She'll produce in seconds, in fact and be right back up on the porch after her pee and dump.

Last edited:

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
[MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION] has a princess with a bladder of steel as well, I'm sure he can reassure you here.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
@BruceP has a princess with a bladder of steel as well, I'm sure he can reassure you here.

Oh yeah~~ Princess Gracie is 6.5 years old and has a bladder of steel. She can skip a day of going outside if the weather is bad enough.. LOL We have no problem leaving her alone if we are going to be gone all day.
Princess Amelia, not so much ;) But she just turned 5 months old.

OP
hnhammond

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
Oh yeah~~ Princess Gracie is 6.5 years old and has a bladder of steel. She can skip a day of going outside if the weather is bad enough.. LOL We have no problem leaving her alone if we are going to be gone all day.
Princess Amelia, not so much ;) But she just turned 5 months old.

Thank you everyone - this makes me feel so much better!

Til doesn't seem uncomfortable in any way, she just doesn't want to go. Guess we'll let the little princess do as she pleases... haha

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online