Pink hairless bump on neck

Derby

Jun 24, 2013
Denton, Tx
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Derby
Last night I was petting Derby and felt a bump on the back of her neck, so I of course started poking around. I saw that at the top of the bump where the hair was growing from it there were little brown circles or flakes attached to the hair (Iā€™m wondering now if it was pieces of a scab or something like that). At the time, though, I knew we saw a tick jump on her last week and I think we got it off of her before it ever grabbed on, but I was worried it was a tick so I started picking at it (which I now donā€™t think I should have done since it wasnā€™t a tickā€¦). The bump got down to a little, hairless pink circle, with a tiny white dot in the middle. It doesnā€™t protrude from her skin as much now. She has been outside, so I kind of wonder if it could be a bug bite. She has also been playing rough with my mom's dog, so she could also have gotten a scratch or something. I didnā€™t know what to do last night, though, and since I had been picking at it I put Neosporin on it because I was afraid I got it dirty. This is what it looks like now, though. I think you can see there are some darker brown, rough spots in the middle of it, and Iā€™m wondering if itā€™s an infection or itā€™s starting to scab. Do you guys have any ideas of something I could do for it at home, or do I just need to take her to the vet now even though she only has this one spot and is acting normal? This sounds bad, but we have insurance for her, but until August 3rd anything she goes in for will forever be considered a pre-existing problem and they wonā€™t ever cover it. Obviously if we need to I will take her to the vet, Iā€™m just wondering if there are any at home things I can try firstā€¦ :/ What do you guys think?
IMG_0002 2.jpg
This is just pulling the fur back a little IMG_0001 2.jpgIf you look at it from straight on it isn't super
noticeable
IMG_0005.jpg
And here's a picture with flash that might make it look a little worse than it is, but you can see the rough patch in the center.

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
I would try just cleaning it up with a little warm water, then some peroxide, and put some neosporin on it. Then just keep an eye on it for a few days, hopefully it just clears itself up. If you see it getting bigger I would definitely go see your vet.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It does look like a 'canine' scratch ... Cheli and Banks get each other all the time and sometimes it is worse than a scratch. Clean it as Pete suggested and put neosporian on it

OP
Derby

Derby

Jun 24, 2013
Denton, Tx
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Derby
Thank you so much for the advice. I put peroxide and neosporin on it and am keeping an eye on it. She's definitely been rough housing a lot so I would love it if it's just a scratch. The only thing I wonder about is why there was still hair on it, but it had little brown specs and all fell out when I started messing with it.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you so much for the advice. I put peroxide and neosporin on it and am keeping an eye on it. She's definitely been rough housing a lot so I would love it if it's just a scratch. The only thing I wonder about is why there was still hair on it, but it had little brown specs and all fell out when I started messing with it.

I'm thinking it ws the scab... like you stated. How does it look today

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.