It is time...

Rachelle

May 12, 2013
CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Kirby
I really did not think it would be so hard for me to do it to him, but it is time. Kirby is at that point in his life when he must lose those doggy nuts. It has been years since I had to have a dog neutered, and I am so sad to do it to him. I will be doing it, but if I could just get some stories shared? What kind of differences did you see in your bullies before and after it was done? My biggest wonder, Kirby is a major mounter/humper, if anyone else's was like that, did it stop after he was neutered? What kind of questions should I ask my vet to be sure they know what they are doing with his breed? They are familiar with bulldogs, I think most of the workers there have them and their vet tech/dog trainer has a couple. But I'm just wondering what do I need to know to soothe my mind.
I know there is probably a good thread already on this, but I'm feeling lazy :p

IMAG4732.jpg

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
only difference in Hershey, were no more Man Bits :p no dingle Dangles. I sorta wish we would of waited a few more months (he was done at 8 months) cause he sorta have a 'high' bark. Come on Dude, ya a MALE, and a BULLDOG, ya should have that Manly Bark ! Oh..what? you would of but we De-nutted you? LOL

Honestly I dont know if that would of made a difference, I'm trying to have fun. But we really didnt notice anything different with him.

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
Dudley is neutered. The humping stopped...took a little while, but did stop. He has a very deep, bulldoggie bark - so that wasn't impacted! :D Nothing else, really. He had no problems, no bad reactions...he was fine. Any time you have anything done to your baby, you are going to worry. Good luck!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I wouldn't guarantee the humping will stop but it could. The hormones take time to level out so sometimes they can be a little naughty after the neutering, so be patient and continue to work on his behavior.

It's really an easy surgery and quick recovery... Mainly because they cannot reach the surgical site to lick it like most breeds who have to wear the cone of shame during recovery, bullies usually don't. :up:

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Cutty was never much of a humper and still isn't but he does try to mount Miila almost daily. Guess they don't lose their desire, poor boy. :lol:

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
We all want what's best for our beloved pets and our relationship with them. But you asked, and I know that this might be somewhat controversial in this forum, but I'm not for it. I don't have any issues with Ace humping and even if I did I don't think for me that would necessitate having one neutered. Neutering has been a mantra repeated over and over for the last 40 years and so now people take it for granted like its some right of passage. It all began because of many unnecessary and unwanted litters of puppies being born and as a means of prevention and to slow down the carnage of so many dogs being born who would wind up unwanted and euthanized. I haven't read or seen any evidence that castration is some kind of fail safe fix for behavior problems. So for me, because I know there won't be any unplanned or unwanted breeding I wouldn't have it done. The only exception would be if I had a dog that had serious aggressive problems and as a last ditch effort to solve it

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, we had our two guys spayed and neutered at 7 months old, we had different reasons, as we have a brother and sister, and had to fix them before they went into heat. Our vet recommended it as well because if she said if you you aren't planning to breed then the risk of certain cancers increases when you don't fix them. This is more for a female than a male dog, so I think you can wait a little longer with a male than a female. I fixed my two a week apart from each other.

I found no difference in my female Blossom, but my male Bulldozer was definitely a lot calmer after the surgery, and he stopped humping as well, it took a couple of months for his hormones to level off and leave his body.

Other benefits of neutering a male dog is it reduces certain cancers, marking, it can reduce humping, male dogs can wander when they are in heat, so this increases the risks of getting lost, or getting hit by a car.

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
It reduces testicular cancer of course because they have been castrated and have no more testicles.
A person who had a healthy appendix could have them removed and would never have appendicitis or the risk of a ruptured appendix.
My appendix ruptured in 2009 and the Dr said after the surgery that my appendix probably ruptured two days before the surgery.
If I could have only known I could have had my appendix removed when I was a child.

http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues/7_9/features/Spaying-and-Neuturing_15649-1.html

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Bacon was neutered around 6-7 months, he stopped humping after he got fixed, he also chilled out a little more once his hormones adjusted. [MENTION=8844]Rachelle[/MENTION] the one thing I would ask your vet prior to having the procedure done is what kind of anesthesia they use. I know bullies tend to do much better on one type versus the other. Perhaps someone else knows which is which I don't remember the name [MENTION=4706]RaRett[/MENTION] [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION]

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Bacon was neutered around 6-7 months, he stopped humping after he got fixed, he also chilled out a little more once his hormones adjusted. [MENTION=8844]Rachelle[/MENTION] the one thing I would ask your vet prior to having the procedure done is what kind of anesthesia they use. I know bullies tend to do much better on one type versus the other. Perhaps someone else knows which is which I don't remember the name [MENTION=4706]RaRett[/MENTION] [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION]

Yes isoflouraine is what you want...

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
DO NOT LET THEM USE "A.C.E"

There, big and bold :)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Yap, Lisa said it, isoflouraine.

OP
Rachelle

Rachelle

May 12, 2013
CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Kirby
Thanks for all these replies! Really great info :)

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
We all want what's best for our beloved pets and our relationship with them. But you asked, and I know that this might be somewhat controversial in this forum, but I'm not for it. I don't have any issues with Ace humping and even if I did I don't think for me that would necessitate having one neutered. Neutering has been a mantra repeated over and over for the last 40 years and so now people take it for granted like its some right of passage. It all began because of many unnecessary and unwanted litters of puppies being born and as a means of prevention and to slow down the carnage of so many dogs being born who would wind up unwanted and euthanized. I haven't read or seen any evidence that castration is some kind of fail safe fix for behavior problems. So for me, because I know there won't be any unplanned or unwanted breeding I wouldn't have it done. The only exception would be if I had a dog that had serious aggressive problems and as a last ditch effort to solve it

I didn't think to much of this and just did it until the Vets started doing babies!!!

I started researching this issue and I had stray dogs come up that were older
and not neutered but had no bad behavior so I didn't neuter them...no problems!

Cami is 5/yo and I'm going to spay her to spare her going thru heat cycles. She
came here 4 months ago unspayed and in heat so I've had to wait.

Humping is not always a hormonal thing.

If going to spay or neuter, I would wait until they have achieved full growth of
skeletal & hormonal needs, about 18 months for bullies. Or some problem unable
to solve and life is miserable. If it's just humping, try to solve that before you pay
and go thru unnessacery surgery. Just my opinion...GOD bless & good luck!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online