Holistic remedies for allergies

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I had to stop Stig's daily benadryl dosage because we planned on getting him allergy tested next week. In order to get a more accurate result, it's required to take him off any antihistamines.

Does anyone know any natural remedies to allergies? His hives have been getting worse lately. He's not scratching (knock on wood**), which is good, but I feel really bad that he's going through this. I heard giving organic natural honey is great for allergies, but not sure if only for seasonal allergies or if it will ease food allergies as well.

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
include adding a multi-vitamin to the dog's diet, introducing bee pollen twice daily (550 mg suggested), Echinacea twice daily (human dose), among others

Read more: Holistic Cures for Dogs | eHow.com Holistic Cures for Dogs | eHow.com. For the hives I cannot stress enough how much the selsun blue worked for Georgia. I would also soak her in chamomile and green tea twice a week.

OP
izstigspunks

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
@gatorfan85 - how much chamomile and green tea should I put in the water? And just to make sure, both at the same time right? Thanks so much!

I wish the vet would've told me this :(

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
Put atleast 2 tea bags of each also you can add 1/4 baking soda it will help draw out any toxins. I use to make a spray with the chamomile and green tea for Georgia if she would get itchy between the soakings and baths

sowdie

May 27, 2010
MA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
This post is 2 months old, but I wanted to suggest looking into Dinovite. I can't stand by it and say that it works wonders, but it's one of the things we use to try and keep Lola's allergies away. Switching her to a raw diet and giving her salmon oil are the other changes. The combination of those three things have done a pretty good job. I can't say it is or isn't the Dinovite that has helped, but, it's certainly worth looking into. I will say that at one point, we ran out of it while waiting for the next supply to arrive, and after a day or so of being off of it, we noticed her scratching her face more often. Could be just a coincidence, but worth mentioning. The company does say to allow 90 days for best results.

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
Good thing some of our members are up on this stuff. I am of NO help. But now I'm curious: savemejeebus- what happened with the alergy tests? Is Stig better now?

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Can you update [MENTION=1209]savemejeebus[/MENTION] - what did they find about Stig's allergies and did any of the holistic therapies work? Thanks!

OP
izstigspunks

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Stig's doing really well. First we stopped giving him the 'conventional' packaged treats, even the grain and gluten free ones, and by doing that cleared about 90% of his hives. The week before we were going to do an allergy test, we switched him to raw, and practically all the hives and most redness disappeared. We went to the vets for a check-up still that week, I forget what it was for, and the vet said that he was so amazed that he's so hives-free. Plus he doesn't get any more infections, such as the ear, which he used to get before we did all the changes. So I'm not sure what he was allergic to, because we feed him any type of meat, such as chicken, venison, rabbit, turkey, lamb, goat, duck, etc., and he doesn't react at all to any. I'm guessing there was some ingredient in the treats/kibble that he's allergic to, and not the protein itself.

I'm so thankful he's doing so well now. I look back at his old pics and am still amazed at how bad his skin looked.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.