Please Help! He won't eat

HeatherTaylor

Jul 30, 2012
Harford County Maryland
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bandit and Kozmo Monster
Malaseb shampoo is awesome! I have used that and the pledglets with great results.

Heather, Bandit and the Kozmo Monster
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
luvnmymedic

luvnmymedic

May 31, 2013
Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Seven - RIP I love you

I sure will. Thanks for the link. He is running low on food. I think I'm going to give raw a run for a few months and see. I looked up Fromm and it isn't sold around here. The closest I can find it is about 40 miles away at stores that close before I get off work. Looking at raw and talking to someone who has done raw for the last six months for a similar situation and had great results, I believe raw is the way we need to take him. Finding the supplements will be my issue. But if I have to order them online, that's what I'll do.

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
I wish I could help because I can tell by your posts that you are at wit's end. My only thoughts about this and they are very limited considering all you have tried and the good advice you have been given, is that I too would question giving even more antibiotics, they haven't helped yet and they can really disrupt the digestive system which could contribute to the problem. And another is the bathing. I don't know how often you are bathing but it too may contribute to some of the problem while the dog is in this state. I know when Ace was younger he was getting real pink and I was worried about allergies and bathed him weekly trying to help and I think I was doing more harm than good. It could be contributing to the problem. I think because Ace was young and his immune system not yet developed that because I was doing too much it contributed to the problem. I think if it was me I would just stop bathing for a while and only wipe down the areas that need attention with a damp rag and then dry. No medicated concoctions and shampoos on on the skin and no witch hazel and probably a bland diet, something that wouldn't contribute to the problem. I think I would narrow it down to a couple of things that wouldn't aggravate the problem and hopefully his natural defense system can take over. My tendency at times because I am so worried is to try several things at once trying to help and may not be doing so. I wish I could be of more help and really I am only going on a hunch and what I might try to do if in your situation. I sure hope it works out for you and your beloved dog. I probably would go with the bland diet though and some probiotics. If his digestion is helped it could well help the entire situation

Last edited:

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
I sure will. Thanks for the link. He is running low on food. I think I'm going to give raw a run for a few months and see. I looked up Fromm and it isn't sold around here. The closest I can find it is about 40 miles away at stores that close before I get off work. Looking at raw and talking to someone who has done raw for the last six months for a similar situation and had great results, I believe raw is the way we need to take him. Finding the supplements will be my issue. But if I have to order them online, that's what I'll do.

I think raw is the way to go also. If it does not work for one reason or another Fromm is the next best choice and you can order it on line with free shipping.

With the Malaseb shampoo use it twice a week. Leave the shampoo on for 10 minutes before rinsing it off. If that does not control the itch enough then we have other tricks. Over shampooing can dry out the skin and cause more irritation.

We are here anytime you need us!

mc68mc

Sep 11, 2012
Columbia Mo area
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
April aka Big Smoochie or Smoocha - Libre'
No advice to give but thoughts and prayers going out to you and seven - So happy he is in a better home life than were he was - keep up the good work- and progress is very hard to see when you want so bad for your BABY to be better... HANG IN THERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
luvnmymedic

luvnmymedic

May 31, 2013
Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Seven - RIP I love you
I just fed him his first bowl of raw. He wanted more. He hasn't eaten since yesterday evening despite Taste of the Wild in his bowl. I found this to be a plus! I am going to give this a go for several months and see how he does. I'm looking for any improvement. I haven't bathed him since Thursday night. Do you think tonight is too soon. I did decide that so often was making it worse but I'm not sure how far to space the washings.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I just fed him his first bowl of raw. He wanted more. He hasn't eaten since yesterday evening despite Taste of the Wild in his bowl. I found this to be a plus! I am going to give this a go for several months and see how he does. I'm looking for any improvement. I haven't bathed him since Thursday night. Do you think tonight is too soon. I did decide that so often was making it worse but I'm not sure how far to space the washings.

A great start! I would wait on the bath another day or two, just give a really really good brushing to stimulate the blood flow to the skin.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
Awesome. Thanks!

Great news that he is eating and wanting more! :clap2: Those nutrients will help give his body energy to heal and get him stronger!

Cutting back on baths is good also they can dry and irritate sometimes. Benadryl for the itchies if needed.

Keep doing what your doing it's getting better already!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
as far as baths go i have given sarah one twice a week for over a year and 1/2 due to her yeast issues. well i gave a full bath once a week and just did her yeasty parts the other time. i usually go with how itchy they are. if she is not itchy i dont bathe her if she is i do. i also treat her yeast twice a day with something like duoxo pads or you can use anti fungal meds at the drug store. keeping it dry is important and no heat. yeast like a warm moist environment so i would limit outside time to a minimum. i also used to dry her very well after bathing.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I'm sorry I'm late to this, but my internet connection has been bad...You have gotten real good advise (no other tricks in my book) and switching to raw is really the best thing that you can do for Seven right now. When it comes to bathing I suggest you bath him when he looks like he needs it, not in any schedule. When you have gotten rid of the yeast, you will hardly need to bath them. I have bathed my boys once this year...and they don't smell at all. That's all because of raw food. Like desertskybulldogs mentioned brushing will help them keep their skin healthy. Like you have found out with the prescriptions yeast can not be cured from the outside with medications. It only helps with the symptoms, not the cause, which is the wrong type of food for him.
Keep us posted on his progress and if I can help you with the raw feeding I'm happy to.

OP
luvnmymedic

luvnmymedic

May 31, 2013
Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Seven - RIP I love you
Thanks! So far so good. I just made up a new batch. It isn't a large batch but it's the biggest I can do for now. I can do more at the end of the week. He loves it. My mom fed him for me today since I was running behind to leave for work. She got there an hour after I left and fed him. She was surprised that he would come out of a sleep and eat. He clears his bowl. It is great. My older kids watched me make it tonight and were grossed out. I'll do what I need to do to make him better. I'm just so excited that he's eating and really enjoying it.

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
I found this video and thought of you. Hope things are continuing to go well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl_X1I1GJ1Q

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks! So far so good. I just made up a new batch. It isn't a large batch but it's the biggest I can do for now. I can do more at the end of the week. He loves it. My mom fed him for me today since I was running behind to leave for work. She got there an hour after I left and fed him. She was surprised that he would come out of a sleep and eat. He clears his bowl. It is great. My older kids watched me make it tonight and were grossed out. I'll do what I need to do to make him better. I'm just so excited that he's eating and really enjoying it.
I found this video and thought of you. Hope things are continuing to go well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl_X1I1GJ1Q

OP
luvnmymedic

luvnmymedic

May 31, 2013
Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Seven - RIP I love you
Thank you! I subscribed to them on YouTube. I viewed several videos by her that were helpful!
Seven is still highly inflamed but it was to be expected. He has hair growth on his mostly bald head! He seems happier. I am going to change a couple of topical things I do. His diet is remaining the same other than I subsituted beef liver for the chicken liver. I'm in search of good raw recipes to change it up some for him.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm so glad that he's doing better... :D

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.