Please Help! He won't eat

luvnmymedic

May 31, 2013
Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Seven - RIP I love you
I haven't posted much. I got lost. lol. Seven is my 3 year old English Bulldog. He has systemic yeast infection. We have done a round of four different medications. He is still bad. He seems to be doing ok then the meds run out. I don't want to just keep on pumping prescriptions in him. I am washing him in Zymox shampoo. I am putting Zymox in his ears. I am washing his face in witch hazel. He has a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in his water bowl. He goes a couple of days without eating. I bought him Nutri Source. It was the chicken formula at the store's suggestion. He ate really good for three days. Now it is 11:20 pm Saturday night. He hasn't eaten since Friday afternoon. I know he won't starve himself to death. However, he is way too thin. I thought maybe it was the food so I got a sample of Taste of the Wild Venison and Bison and a sample of Taste of the Wild lamb. The venison and bison is currently in his bowl. It has been there for about 5 hours. He looked at it, got a drink and walked away. He is breaking my heart. He was in bad shape when we got him at the end of May. I am doing all I know to do to help him to no avail. Please can anyone help me?:pray:

OP
luvnmymedic

luvnmymedic

May 31, 2013
Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Seven - RIP I love you
Well, my daughter as I posted this got him to eat his food. At any rate, any suggestions for keeping him eating?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
There is some picky eaters out there but with bulldogs 99% of the time it's because something is wrong with them. I highly doubt a yeast infection would cause them not to want to eat but I could be wrong.

Have you had a full blood panel done on him to make sure the yeast infection is not a symptom of something else?

Not eating can be from pain, blockage, so many different things....

Have you tried to add some canned food or yogurt?

What types of medicines has he had?

It's also quite possible he's allergic to something in the food.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Yeast is VERY difficult to rid the system, it hides so it takes awhile and the
answer IS NOT meds, they are like putting a bandaid on a gaping wound.
I suggest reading up on yeast and leaky gut syndrome. Find a food that
has NO potatoes, even sweet potatoes, No dairy, No grains, No gluten.

Seven will eat eventually, I know it's difficult to watch them not eat but
food can be avoided awhile w/out worry...make sure he has plenty of
fresh cold water (distilled or filtered) and IS drinking it. Use steel, glass
or ceramic bowls.

Build up his immune system with pro & prebiotics, Pearls are a good one
to get INTO the stomach before stomach acid dissolves them before working
effectively.

I'd stop all treats right now until he is yeast free. No sugar, high fructose
corn syrup, etc in ingredients of foods, etc.

Let us know how it goes, it will take awhile but hang in there! GOD bless!!

Texas Carol

Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Adding to my post, make sure the vinegar you're adding to his water is
yeast free (some brands add it). Don't know your money situation and/or
time constraints but for Seven, his BEST diet would be raw diet w/no veggies.
2nd best option & a little easier time wise, would be raw dehydrated (more
expensive) and 3rd, again, grain free, gluten free, STARCH free & no veggies
or fruits for him.

Coconut oil will kill yeast & other bacteria/fungus as will raw garlic cloves.
Herbs that will help would be black walnut leaf, olive leaf & pau d'arco.
Echinacea added to food will strengthen immune system. All of these added
to food for 2 weeks, then add probiotics to the mix.

Seven may worsen before getting better as yeast will die off and toxify the
blood & body systems, but he will then improve mightily. Feeding raw will be
the quickest way to heal him & he will start feeling better quicker too.

@RiiSi
​is a great source for raw feeding tips if interested. Good luck & GOD bless!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
ok ive come to the conclusion that yeast alot of the time has nothing to do with sugar but everything to do with them eating something they are allergic to. have you thought maybe just a bland diet of chicken and brown rice or perhaps beef and brown rice for a bit. i would get myself some duoxo ps shampoo from amazon or somewhere and bath my dog twice a week in it and soak their feet ifs on the pads to. get a good probiotic that people use and give it everyday. if you dont want to do a bland diet i would get a very limited ingredient food such as nvi lid or natural balance lid which im not fond of but this is a serious case. this wont be popular but you can give your dog some garlic pills as its a natural anti fungal. after years of people using this they say no to giving it to dogs now but my friend bev who has taken a canine nutrition course says you can as it would take massive amounts to cause a problem. it may also help the immune system as well. coq10 is an immune booster as well. i would also perhaps not give the acv in the water at every bowl. i have seen dogs not drink or it has caused some problems in some so perhaps just every other bowl. as for the eating well you could put some yogurt or canned food or something on it to entice eating. im thinking he is not feeling well because of the yeast. it can make them very tired and they just lay around and not spunky at all. yeast that is dying off will also make them sick so perhaps he is just feeling the yeast effects.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I'm thinking maybe he's not taking well to the chicken in his diet? Many dogs are allergic to chicken so that is a possibility. I know you're probably very scared and frustrated at this point with Seven's lack of interest in his food but like other's have said, he will eventually start eating again! In the meantime, you can also try getting some ground beef and putting that on top of his regular food, or even cut up some hotdog for him as a topper on his food. I also will use some liver on top of Finn's kibble b/c he can be a little picky eater himself and he loves that stuff.
Switching completely to home cooking or raw right now might be a good alternative as well. Please let us know Seven's progress!

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
Poor thing. I'm of no use here at all, but I did want to say I hope he gets better and eats soon!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
You've received great info from the crew.... once we get some of those answers to their questions we can hopefully get your baby well!

OP
luvnmymedic

luvnmymedic

May 31, 2013
Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Seven - RIP I love you
I'm taking notes of what everyone has said. I did decide to stop the apple cider vinegar. He drinks a lot. We always make sure he has fresh water. He uses steel bowls. I stopped the chicken formula food. He did finally eat that Taste of the Wild sample. He liked the bison and venison more than the lamb one. So that's what I am going to buy. I am wondering this if yall can help. Would it be beneficial to do every other day of a modified raw diet? I saw modified raw because I can't stand the look or feel of raw food. I would want to cook it for him. Obviously with no seasonings. I couldn't go to the store tonight but I am going to try tomorrow. I plan on getting some garlic pills, some probiotics, coconut oil, yogurt, and hot dogs. He does not get any treats at all because I'm trying to rule out the allergen. I know it is most likely chicken and peanut butter. I know he won't starve himself to death if I have food in his bowl. But at the same time, he is so skinny. I'm trying my best not to cry while I tell you all this. I know he should probably go to the vet but at the same time, if I take him again, he will get more prescriptions. It's putting a bandaid on a gaping wound. I am trying to do somewhat of a holistic and natural approach. I feel like a big failure. I took him from bad conditions. He is in a lot better home conditions but his skin is not any better. I know I aggravated it by giving him the peanut butter at the suggestion of the vet. But if peanut butter aggravates yeast, he can't have it no matter how much he salivates when he sees it. We aren't rich by any means but we can afford him. Hopefully I sell my car that I replaced soon and I can put more money into him if that's what I need to do.

OP
luvnmymedic

luvnmymedic

May 31, 2013
Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Seven - RIP I love you
I honestly don't know if it's due to being a picky eater or just the lack of energy to do so. I did find him drinking out of the toilet earlier. Gross. At least my son flushed and the toilet was as clean as a toilet could be. I put the lid down.

Texas Carol

Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm taking notes of what everyone has said. I did decide to stop the apple cider vinegar. He drinks a lot. We always make sure he has fresh water. He uses steel bowls. I stopped the chicken formula food. He did finally eat that Taste of the Wild sample. He liked the bison and venison more than the lamb one. So that's what I am going to buy. I am wondering this if yall can help. Would it be beneficial to do every other day of a modified raw diet? I saw modified raw because I can't stand the look or feel of raw food. I would want to cook it for him. Obviously with no seasonings. I couldn't go to the store tonight but I am going to try tomorrow. I plan on getting some garlic pills, some probiotics, coconut oil, yogurt, and hot dogs. He does not get any treats at all because I'm trying to rule out the allergen. I know it is most likely chicken and peanut butter. I know he won't starve himself to death if I have food in his bowl. But at the same time, he is so skinny. I'm trying my best not to cry while I tell you all this. I know he should probably go to the vet but at the same time, if I take him again, he will get more prescriptions. It's putting a bandaid on a gaping wound. I am trying to do somewhat of a holistic and natural approach. I feel like a big failure. I took him from bad conditions. He is in a lot better home conditions but his skin is not any better. I know I aggravated it by giving him the peanut butter at the suggestion of the vet. But if peanut butter aggravates yeast, he can't have it no matter how much he salivates when he sees it. We aren't rich by any means but we can afford him. Hopefully I sell my car that I replaced soon and I can put more money into him if that's what I need to do.

Please don't think you're a bad bully Mom...you are not! Some of our precious bullies
have problems ranging from aggravating to severe to life threatening and it's often a
long journey finding & solving the problem, that's why EBN exists, we put our love &
collective knowledge & experience of bullies together and help each other to help our
bullies. We all know what it feels like to cry over them, to be terrified for them and to
feel helpless & useless, please know we will do our very best to help you & Seven and
support y'all every step of the way...you are NOT alone!

Sorry, I think TOTW isn't going to be a good choice right now for Seven's yeast control.
It contains potatoes, sweet potatoes, potato proteins, chicken meal, ocean fish meal, etc
Not saying it's NOT a good food just not for Seven right now, you need a limited ingredient
food to make your solving his yeast & skin issues as quickly as possible, even at that, YEAST
is a long & difficult fight, not impossible tho. @Twice [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION]

These members I tagged have experience in canine nutrition & both commercial/homemade
foods and can give you great tips & advice. I suggest no hotdogs at this time and be sure the
yogurt is PLAIN w/NO SUGAR. While waiting on advice of what food to buy, you can cook
hamburger and brown rice (again, no carrots, broccoli, etc) maybe green beans (unsalted).
Veggies/fruits can be good BUT not for yeasty dogs w/active infection. I would put RAW garlic
cloves not pills (for now) in the mix along w/probiotics (Pearls). Lisa can give you safe amounts.
Use the link to pull up the recipes on EBN. A boiled egg w/shell on is probably okay for a treat or
sliced on top of food for enticement or a couple of water or olive oil packed sardines as topper
or treat.

Since Seven drinks a lot of water AND has yeast infections, I'd test for diabetes.

Anyways...a lot to take in but just try and relax...no guilt and know you are in the best place to
​get Seven in optimum health. Will keep y'all in prayer...GOD bless!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
With the severe yeast issue you are having I would either go raw, limited ingredient kibble, or homecooked with Nuvet supplement.

I would also invest in pharmaseb shampoo, followed with a vinegar rinse. I have found a new shampoo I like from Nuvet with tea tree but I think pharmaseb will work better in this case.

Wash bedding in free and clear detergent and fabric softener too.

Treat yeasty paws with either a vinegar water soak or get some douxo, malacetic or chlorihexidine type cleanser.

Malacetic ULTRA works great on tear stains. But I would only use that until you have things under control. Then just use witch hazel to keep the area clean and dry.

Let us know which food route you are going to take and we can keep helping :)

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
I haven't posted much. I got lost. lol. Seven is my 3 year old English Bulldog. He has systemic yeast infection. We have done a round of four different medications. He is still bad. He seems to be doing ok then the meds run out. I don't want to just keep on pumping prescriptions in him. I am washing him in Zymox shampoo. I am putting Zymox in his ears. I am washing his face in witch hazel. He has a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in his water bowl. He goes a couple of days without eating. I bought him Nutri Source. It was the chicken formula at the store's suggestion. He ate really good for three days. Now it is 11:20 pm Saturday night. He hasn't eaten since Friday afternoon. I know he won't starve himself to death. However, he is way too thin. I thought maybe it was the food so I got a sample of Taste of the Wild Venison and Bison and a sample of Taste of the Wild lamb. The venison and bison is currently in his bowl. It has been there for about 5 hours. He looked at it, got a drink and walked away. He is breaking my heart. He was in bad shape when we got him at the end of May. I am doing all I know to do to help him to no avail. Please can anyone help me?:pray:

Hi :)

One teaspoon of ACV in his bowl isn't enough. He needs a tablespoon a day and please make sure that it is the raw, unfiltered type. One tsp 3 times a day. The stuff you put in salads will not work. You should also wipe him down with it if possible. Cleaning his face with witch hazel is good but cleaning it with the ACV is better :)

He needs a yeast free, grain free, low glycemic diet and since he isn't eating you may want to cook for him for a little while. You can use any meat you like (chicken thighs are cheapest - raw or cooked & deboned) but stick with these vegetables: leafy greens (collard, mustard, kale), asparagus, broccoli, tomatoes, peas, squash, green beans, cabbage and parsley. Be sure to blanch the vegetables (dip them in boiling water for 1-2 minutes then dip them in ice water to stop the cooking process). Cooking them all the way removes most of the nutrients from them but you need to blanch them to start the breakdown of the cellulose layer for total digestion.

Try to stay away from anything store bought. No food, treats or supplements. What he needs now is 100% all natural and unprocessed.

@TexasCarol is right about the coconut oil. This too needs to be raw and unprocessed. You want to give him 1 tsp per 10 pounds of body weight divided into multiple daily doses but start slowly! If he is 40 pounds and eats twice a day you would give him 1 tsp per meal for 3 or 4 days before increasing it to 2 tsp twice a day. If you add too much too soon he can get greasy stools or even full on diarrhea.

Do NOT give him pre/probiotics yet. Wait until he has been yeast free for at least 2 weeks before adding any additional bacteria to his system.

Now, the reason the infection keeps coming back is because all of the bacteria isn't leaving his system. The antibiotics are killing it but not ALL of it. This part will seem strange to you... bear with me ;)

After he's finished his antibiotics he will need both pro and prebiotics. The best ones to give him are plain kefir and fresh sauerkraut (not the stuff in a can). Sauerkraut for my dog? Really? lol Yes. Really :yes: Sauerkraut has 13 strains of bacteria and 100 times more probiotics than most store bought supplements. I'm just gonna paste this bit if that's ok...

Benefits of Sauerkraut
Aids in the digestion process;
Boosts the immune system;
Helps prevent cancer (sauerkraut contains compounds called isothiocyanates which protect against cancer);
Fights E. Coli, salmonella and candida;
Has anti-inflammatory properties (inflammation can cause some cancers);
High in Vitamin A, B, C and E;
High in Minerals calcium and magnesium, folate, iron, potassium, copper and manganese;
High in phytonutirent antioxidants;
Helps alleviate anxiety and depression;
It helps generate omega-3 fatty acids;
It can help reduce allergy symptoms;
It is very low in fat and calories.

You're going to want to give him 2-3 tbsp per day again, divided into several doses.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online