Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Please Help! He won't eat

Quote Originally Posted by luvnmymedic View Post
    I'm taking notes of what everyone has said. I did decide to stop the apple cider vinegar. He drinks a lot. We always make sure he has fresh water. He uses steel bowls. I stopped the chicken formula food. He did finally eat that Taste of the Wild sample. He liked the bison and venison more than the lamb one. So that's what I am going to buy. I am wondering this if yall can help. Would it be beneficial to do every other day of a modified raw diet? I saw modified raw because I can't stand the look or feel of raw food. I would want to cook it for him. Obviously with no seasonings. I couldn't go to the store tonight but I am going to try tomorrow. I plan on getting some garlic pills, some probiotics, coconut oil, yogurt, and hot dogs. He does not get any treats at all because I'm trying to rule out the allergen. I know it is most likely chicken and peanut butter. I know he won't starve himself to death if I have food in his bowl. But at the same time, he is so skinny. I'm trying my best not to cry while I tell you all this. I know he should probably go to the vet but at the same time, if I take him again, he will get more prescriptions. It's putting a bandaid on a gaping wound. I am trying to do somewhat of a holistic and natural approach. I feel like a big failure. I took him from bad conditions. He is in a lot better home conditions but his skin is not any better. I know I aggravated it by giving him the peanut butter at the suggestion of the vet. But if peanut butter aggravates yeast, he can't have it no matter how much he salivates when he sees it. We aren't rich by any means but we can afford him. Hopefully I sell my car that I replaced soon and I can put more money into him if that's what I need to do.

Please don't think you're a bad bully Mom...you are not! Some of our precious bullies
    have problems ranging from aggravating to severe to life threatening and it's often a
    long journey finding & solving the problem, that's why EBN exists, we put our love &
    collective knowledge & experience of bullies together and help each other to help our
    bullies. We all know what it feels like to cry over them, to be terrified for them and to
    feel helpless & useless, please know we will do our very best to help you & Seven and
    support y'all every step of the way...you are NOT alone!

Sorry, I think TOTW isn't going to be a good choice right now for Seven's yeast control.
    It contains potatoes, sweet potatoes, potato proteins, chicken meal, ocean fish meal, etc
    Not saying it's NOT a good food just not for Seven right now, you need a limited ingredient
    food to make your solving his yeast & skin issues as quickly as possible, even at that, YEAST
    is a long & difficult fight, not impossible tho. @Twice @Sherry @desertskybulldogs

These members I tagged have experience in canine nutrition & both commercial/homemade
    foods and can give you great tips & advice. I suggest no hotdogs at this time and be sure the
    yogurt is PLAIN w/NO SUGAR. While waiting on advice of what food to buy, you can cook
    hamburger and brown rice (again, no carrots, broccoli, etc) maybe green beans (unsalted).
    Veggies/fruits can be good BUT not for yeasty dogs w/active infection. I would put RAW garlic
    cloves not pills (for now) in the mix along w/probiotics (Pearls). Lisa can give you safe amounts.
    Use the link to pull up the recipes on EBN. A boiled egg w/shell on is probably okay for a treat or
    sliced on top of food for enticement or a couple of water or olive oil packed sardines as topper
    or treat.

Since Seven drinks a lot of water AND has yeast infections, I'd test for diabetes.

Anyways...a lot to take in but just try and relax...no guilt and know you are in the best place to
    ​get Seven in optimum health. Will keep y'all in prayer...GOD bless!

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

With the severe yeast issue you are having I would either go raw, limited ingredient kibble, or homecooked with Nuvet supplement.

I would also invest in pharmaseb shampoo, followed with a vinegar rinse. I have found a new shampoo I like from Nuvet with tea tree but I think pharmaseb will work better in this case.

Wash bedding in free and clear detergent and fabric softener too.

Treat yeasty paws with either a vinegar water soak or get some douxo, malacetic or chlorihexidine type cleanser.

Malacetic ULTRA works great on tear stains. But I would only use that until you have things under control. Then just use witch hazel to keep the area clean and dry.

Let us know which food route you are going to take and we can keep helping

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

My Bully Gave Me Wings Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Bev
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I haven't posted much. I got lost. lol. Seven is my 3 year old English Bulldog. He has systemic yeast infection. We have done a round of four different medications. He is still bad. He seems to be doing ok then the meds run out. I don't want to just keep on pumping prescriptions in him. I am washing him in Zymox shampoo. I am putting Zymox in his ears. I am washing his face in witch hazel. He has a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in his water bowl. He goes a couple of days without eating. I bought him Nutri Source. It was the chicken formula at the store's suggestion. He ate really good for three days. Now it is 11:20 pm Saturday night. He hasn't eaten since Friday afternoon. I know he won't starve himself to death. However, he is way too thin. I thought maybe it was the food so I got a sample of Taste of the Wild Venison and Bison and a sample of Taste of the Wild lamb. The venison and bison is currently in his bowl. It has been there for about 5 hours. He looked at it, got a drink and walked away. He is breaking my heart. He was in bad shape when we got him at the end of May. I am doing all I know to do to help him to no avail. Please can anyone help me?

Hi

One teaspoon of ACV in his bowl isn't enough. He needs a tablespoon a day and please make sure that it is the raw, unfiltered type. One tsp 3 times a day. The stuff you put in salads will not work. You should also wipe him down with it if possible. Cleaning his face with witch hazel is good but cleaning it with the ACV is better

He needs a yeast free, grain free, low glycemic diet and since he isn't eating you may want to cook for him for a little while. You can use any meat you like (chicken thighs are cheapest - raw or cooked & deboned) but stick with these vegetables: leafy greens (collard, mustard, kale), asparagus, broccoli, tomatoes, peas, squash, green beans, cabbage and parsley. Be sure to blanch the vegetables (dip them in boiling water for 1-2 minutes then dip them in ice water to stop the cooking process). Cooking them all the way removes most of the nutrients from them but you need to blanch them to start the breakdown of the cellulose layer for total digestion.

Try to stay away from anything store bought. No food, treats or supplements. What he needs now is 100% all natural and unprocessed.

@TexasCarol is right about the coconut oil. This too needs to be raw and unprocessed. You want to give him 1 tsp per 10 pounds of body weight divided into multiple daily doses but start slowly! If he is 40 pounds and eats twice a day you would give him 1 tsp per meal for 3 or 4 days before increasing it to 2 tsp twice a day. If you add too much too soon he can get greasy stools or even full on diarrhea.

Do NOT give him pre/probiotics yet. Wait until he has been yeast free for at least 2 weeks before adding any additional bacteria to his system.

Now, the reason the infection keeps coming back is because all of the bacteria isn't leaving his system. The antibiotics are killing it but not ALL of it. This part will seem strange to you... bear with me

After he's finished his antibiotics he will need both pro and prebiotics. The best ones to give him are plain kefir and fresh sauerkraut (not the stuff in a can). Sauerkraut for my dog? Really? lol Yes. Really Sauerkraut has 13 strains of bacteria and 100 times more probiotics than most store bought supplements. I'm just gonna paste this bit if that's ok...

Benefits of Sauerkraut
    Aids in the digestion process;
    Boosts the immune system;
    Helps prevent cancer (sauerkraut contains compounds called isothiocyanates which protect against cancer);
    Fights E. Coli, salmonella and candida;
    Has anti-inflammatory properties (inflammation can cause some cancers);
    High in Vitamin A, B, C and E;
    High in Minerals calcium and magnesium, folate, iron, potassium, copper and manganese;
    High in phytonutirent antioxidants;
    Helps alleviate anxiety and depression;
    It helps generate omega-3 fatty acids;
    It can help reduce allergy symptoms;
    It is very low in fat and calories.

You're going to want to give him 2-3 tbsp per day again, divided into several doses.

For me, her name was Abby
    10/24/2011 - 11/23/1012

Obtaining a dog license should require more than writing a check.

Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Wow I never knew that about sour kraut!! Learn something new everyday on here!

My Bully Gave Me Wings Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Bev
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by desertskybulldogs View Post
    Wow I never knew that about sour kraut!! Learn something new everyday on here!

I thought I'd mentioned that before? Sorry if I didn't. It was on my list of things to post about, I thought I'd crossed that off the list. Otis LOVES it! It's best if you make it yourself but buying the kind from the refrigerator section of the grocery store is almost as good. Stay away from the canned kind. That has been overcooked and super heated so all of the bacteria is dead. And kefir is SO much better than yogurt for digestion and it's almost free if you make it yourself.

For me, her name was Abby
    10/24/2011 - 11/23/1012

Obtaining a dog license should require more than writing a check.

Real Name
    Jennifer
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Seven - RIP I love you
    Likes (Received)

Thank you. I'm trying to keep up. I feel so lost sometimes with him. He sounds congested today as well. He was congested when we got him and it cleared up. This will sound morbid but it is how I feel. I am scared to death that I am going to get a call while I am at work that he has died. All because of this stupid yeast infection.
    Part of the reason I don't want to take him back to the vet right now is because I know he will jsut get more prescriptions. He started looking better then the meds ran out. It isn't making it go away. His head will clear up but it's still in his ears and his feet. So the meds stop and it spreads across his head. I'd say about 1/3 of the hair on his head is gone. As long as I can keep him from scratching, which is difficult, he doesn't bleed. He will get a Zymox bath tonight. I'm doing it every day to every other day but no further apart than that. He is good in the tub. I rub and rub and rub the shampoo in and he loves it. Oh and I have this question. I don't want him to get cold in the tub so I have the water in a warm range. Is that promoting the yeast as well? He always shivers when I get him out. I dry him the best I can and then cover him up because he doesn't feel like drying himself sometimes. I make sure I dry between his toes and pads. He doesn't like that but I make him let me.

Real Name
    Hans Gruber
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bacon
    Likes (Received)

I think you got some great advise from everyone above, I have nothing to add just wanted to say good luck.

Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)

Thank you. I'm trying to keep up. I feel so lost sometimes with him. He sounds congested today as well. He was congested when we got him and it cleared up. This will sound morbid but it is how I feel. I am scared to death that I am going to get a call while I am at work that he has died. All because of this stupid yeast infection.
    Part of the reason I don't want to take him back to the vet right now is because I know he will jsut get more prescriptions. He started looking better then the meds ran out. It isn't making it go away. His head will clear up but it's still in his ears and his feet. So the meds stop and it spreads across his head. I'd say about 1/3 of the hair on his head is gone. As long as I can keep him from scratching, which is difficult, he doesn't bleed. He will get a Zymox bath tonight. I'm doing it every day to every other day but no further apart than that. He is good in the tub. I rub and rub and rub the shampoo in and he loves it. Oh and I have this question. I don't want him to get cold in the tub so I have the water in a warm range. Is that promoting the yeast as well? He always shivers when I get him out. I dry him the best I can and then cover him up because he doesn't feel like drying himself sometimes. I make sure I dry between his toes and pads. He doesn't like that but I make him let me.

You have gotten all kinds of advice , I will sit back on this one, but please keep me updated on his condition. I'm genuinely concerned
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I looked up zymox shampoo and while its stated to control itchy skin I don't see any ingredients to ward off yeast... So I'm concerned with bathing him with that is only adding moisture to the yeast which they thrive on.

Real Name
    Jennifer
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Seven - RIP I love you
    Likes (Received)

Hey, let me ask yall this. I have GNC anti fungal and antibacterial shampoo. Should I use that one day then the Zymox shampoo the next? That way we may fight the yeast and control the itching? Or do you think I can use the anti fungal antibacterial, rinse, then do the zymox all in the same bath.

Real Name
    Jennifer
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Seven - RIP I love you
    Likes (Received)

The Zymox shampoo I have says Zymox Enzymatic Shampoo. It says it will help with the itching while fighting the fungus and bacteria. So I just bathed him in it. He made himself a resident of our bathroom but I had to make him move out today. It is not a large bathroom by any means. He won't move when you go in there for anything and he licks my legs when I exit the shower. He has plenty of other places to lay that are just as cool. I looked at some treats today. They were in the naturalish treats bin at the pet store. The one I bought him said grain free and I did not see any chicken listed. I liked the fact it was get what you wanted and you could see the ingredients. This one is carrot. I did give him one. He likes them. So that's good. I won't give them to him every day. I did also stop giving him the Benedryl. He seems to be ok without it. His mood seems to be improving just a little bit. And oh my word, I almost didn't add this. He has ate at least once a day every day since I posted this. So maybe we are on an upward trend. I know he will look worse before he looks better. I hope he's as bad as he will get. I want him on the mend.

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

I don't have any advise to help you, looks like you are getting some top notch help here!!! I just wanted to say how sorry I am that your baby is so sick... Please keep us posted & keeping our paws crossed that things get better soon ; )

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads