Help Needed! skin issues all of a sudden

freebeans

May 1, 2013
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
duke
duke started with some hair loss, a spot here and there, on his back. does not appear itchy.to be honest it looks like it is getting worse and he now has one small spot on his his head. The vet said it just a bull dogs allergies, and that we are are bathing him too much (10 Days or so) as needed. there is no drainage from these sites. i have attached some pictures, i know they are not the best, any one know what this could be?Thank You:)

Attachments

• IMG_20130720_204926.jpg
    IMG_20130720_204926.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_20130720_204916.jpg
    IMG_20130720_204916.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_20130720_204758.jpg
    IMG_20130720_204758.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_20130720_204522.jpg
    IMG_20130720_204522.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 160

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Hmmmm... What was the vets suggested coarse of treatment? Nothing? Geez I'm really sorry for you to have wasted your time with a vet who left you with "that's bulldogs". Ugggh.

Do you have a bully vet in your area? That is not normal. Did he say they were hot spots? Did he do a skin scraping? Did he prescribe anything at all?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
duke started with some hair loss, a spot here and there, on his back. does not appear itchy.to be honest it looks like it is getting worse and he now has one small spot on his his head. The vet said it just a bull dogs allergies, and that we are are bathing him too much (10 Days or so) as needed. there is no drainage from these sites. i have attached some pictures, i know they are not the best, any one know what this could be?Thank You:)

Let me guess...he/she presented you a bill for services rendered?

Time for a new Vet, preferably a 'bully knowledgeable' Vet.

How old is Duke, what are you feeding and what kind of treats giving?

What do you bath him with?

OP
freebeans

freebeans

May 1, 2013
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
duke
iI use a shampoo fo sensitive skin, hypoallergenic. he gets no people food, only his buffalo blue grain free, gluten free food,occasional blueberry and yogurt dog treat. The only thing he said i can give him was some benedryl! He didn't do any skin scraping ect. duke I think is about 3 years old. not sure since he was a rescue. This vet didnt say they were hot spots. They seem to start out as like a scab, like something bite him, then of course I "pick" out it sort of and check it out, no drainage, then the hair falls off in the area about 2 times the size of the orginal spot. i will have to google if there are any bully vets near me in VA.

OP
freebeans

freebeans

May 1, 2013
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
duke
PS- sorry for the poor spelling and grammer b/t 6 am and using a tablet with 1 eye open,well you get the idea:)

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
I don't want to alarm you, and I could be way off base, but that 3rd picture looks just like the patch my vet found under bogey's chin, on his neck. She did a scraping and found it to be dermodex mange. Very common in bullies, not contagious to humans or other dogs, but definitely needs treatment. I would insist on a scraping ( costs about $25). It is an auto immune disease, common in pups and seniors. All dogs evidently have these mites on their skin, but some just don't have the immune systems to ward them off from causing problems. We are now on daily probiotics to boost his immune system. Good luck and keep us posted!!

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Ps; he is also on ivermectin once a day for the next 30 days, and has medicated baths every 3 days.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I don't want to alarm you, and I could be way off base, but that 3rd picture looks just like the patch my vet found under bogey's chin, on his neck. She did a scraping and found it to be dermodex mange. Very common in bullies, not contagious to humans or other dogs, but definitely needs treatment. I would insist on a scraping ( costs about $25). It is an auto immune disease, common in pups and seniors. All dogs evidently have these mites on their skin, but some just don't have the immune systems to ward them off from causing problems. We are now on daily probiotics to boost his immune system. Good luck and keep us posted!!

Came back to look again at your pics & have to agree w/Mary.

I'd take him back, insist on a scraping and no other charges other than that,
as it should have been done to get a diagnosis & treatment for your bully!

Immune system needs built up.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
im surprised they just said allergies with no treatment nothing. hair loss that is spreading with scabs could be mange or staff or just that allergies to something he is eating. it is not from bathing to much as i have gave sarah a bath twice a week for 2 years because she itched so much and she didnt lose any hair. i would cut out all treats or anything but his food and get him to another vet as soon as you can. where in va are you? i live in va to

OP
freebeans

freebeans

May 1, 2013
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
duke
Is there any probiotics you can recommend that I put him on that will help boost his immune system? What about started any special bath treatments prior to calling the vet in the morning again? I was asked about that mange and he blew off giving me some sort of excuse at the time(unfortunatley didnt remember, had my own little trauma going on that day in my life!:() Any Way I will Definitely call the Vet for a scraping in the am. Thanks for the advice.

OP
freebeans

freebeans

May 1, 2013
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
duke
OK Lets see if this reply works, I have tried this 3 times now. LOL you may see 3 of them! Hi Sandra, I am in Fredericksburg. Do you know of a good Vet? I dont mind traveling:)

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well just a probiotic that you can guy at the grocery store though they say to get one that doesnt need refridgeration. culturelle is good as is align i believe. me i just got one off the shelf as sarah is allergic to everything. hm im in roanoke so dont think i could help with a vet. perhaps just get out the phone book and call around and ask if they have bully knowledge there. couldnt hurt. or google it. oh and hello there. :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Here are some vets in VA

Crossroads West Veterinary Center
19050 Three Chopt Rd.
Richmond, VA 23233
www.dogrichmond.com

Cherrydale Animal Hospital
4038 Lee Highway Arlington, VA 22207
703-528-9001
www.cherrydale
.com

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
[MENTION=8731]freebeans[/MENTION] how is Duke doing? I agree with everyone else, the answer of "oh well he is a bulldog" would not be acceptable in my book either.

OP
freebeans

freebeans

May 1, 2013
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
duke
Thank You All, here is an Update. We went to the vet today and he did the skin scraping and and he tested negative for the demodex mange. He did give a RX for keflex and a shampoo to treat a bacterial skin infection. What bacterial infection it is we dont know. It does not appear to be very itchy if at all, so this is where we are today.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.