Help! My dog is limping and has some lumps on his leg!

iSpike

Feb 22, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike
I came home from work today and I saw this. I don't what this is but he's limping on his right leg and I don't like it at all!! Poor guy....plus tomorrow is Sunday and clinic is closed. He has to wait Monday...Is there anyway I can do right now to fix this? Can I give him pain reliever pills?? =/

photo 2.jpgphoto 1.jpg

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Oh my goodness! He had none of this when you left? Poor baby! Be very careful what you give him him..I will research it and come back and tell you. The skin problems I can't help with..but I will tag some others to see this.

Ok..dogs can have aspirin...but NO ibuprofen or Tylenol..the dosage depended on his weight. Baby aspirin is ok too!
@desertskybulldogs. @Sherry... [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION].. @2BullyMama

Last edited:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Oh my poor guy!!! well shoot!!! Is there no emergency vet? If that was not there when you left I have no ideas except that he got bit by something. Dang I hate it when it happens on weekends! I would pour peroxide on it was it with antibacterial soap but I don't know if it will help. :(

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

OP
iSpike

iSpike

Feb 22, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike
Thank you so much! Idk if he just got this today or last couple days? I come home at night so it's hard to tell at night. I feel so bad...he wasn't limping at all last couple days. I just him doing that today.

OP
iSpike

iSpike

Feb 22, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike
I'm going to look up and see of there is. For now I cleaned it with chlorhexidine 3% pads and used peroxide. Anything you guys recommend let me know and I can go shopping tomorrow morning.

Last edited:
OP
iSpike

iSpike

Feb 22, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike
Ok, I'm going to give him that right now and hopefully he can start walking tomorrow morning......thanks!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
No, I would not give aspirin (when needed, use uncoated) as it might mask
signs the vet needs to access what might be wrong. I know it's hard to NOT
treat them. If he's showing signs of strong pain he needs to go to ER Vet.

Hopefully he pulled something or sprained his leg, very common and he needs
to be crated & keep quiet, no play, no walks, no jumping...for at least a week.
Then see if still limping, if so more crate rest other than potty breaks & feeding.
If limping is worst after a week of crate rest or again, showing signs of pain then
off to Vet. If limp clears up but returns later, go to Vet.

Not sure what the scrapes/lumps are unless he was rubbing the leg against stuff.
Does he seem itchy?...if so give Benydryl capsules (generic is fine) 1mg per 1 lb of
weight, they are usually 25 mg capsules or tablets so a 25 lb dog would get 1 pill,
50 lb dog, 2 pills...every 6-8 hrs if really itchy & hived up otherwise I give it every
10-12 hrs (like for allergy symptoms).

Let us know how it goes, will pray for y'all that it's just a sore leg & rest will cure.

OP
iSpike

iSpike

Feb 22, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike
No, he's not showing any signs of pain? When I came home I tried my best to treat his leg. Right after that he was eating dinner and knocked out(sleep) for the rest of the day.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
No, he's not showing any signs of pain? When I came home I tried my best to treat his leg. Right after that he was eating dinner and knocked out(sleep) for the rest of the day.

If he's not hurting..don't give him the aspirin. Treat the skin problems the best you can. Peroxide will never hurt..and maybe some antibiotic cream..neosporin or the like. Carol is right..keep him calm until he can see the vet. It's encouraging if he's not in pain.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven

Then I'd crate him and keep him crated until not limping for 3 or 4 days.

Unless those abrasions spread, get red, oozy or warm, just keep clean
and do what you're doing (all the Vet would've done) just be alert for
any changes in limping or abrasions. Hopefully all will clear up just fine.

GOD bless!

OP
iSpike

iSpike

Feb 22, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike
Alright sounds good. I will keep an eye on him... Thanks everyone!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
im wondering if he didnt sit on it and spin around like sarah used to. when she was itchy she would sit down on her leg and spin around and rub the hair off of it and it would be so red. i dont think she ever limped though. i would keep with the chlorhexadine and if he is in pain some low dose aspirin can be given and it might help the limping if he is still limping today as its an anti inflamatory to. keep us updated.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Alright sounds good. I will keep an eye on him... Thanks everyone!

The gang gave you great info.. please keep us posted on spike and hope/prayers he is better soon

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
You have gotten some good advise, please keep us posted on the progress whenever there's a change

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.