mavsfan4life

Bullshiht-zu
May 10, 2013
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mayhem
Unfortunately, we found out yesterday that my poor little Mayhem has Demodectic Mange. :cry: The vet did a skin scrape analysis and even had me look through the microscope to view the mites for myself. He prescribed weekly baths with a medicated shampoo for 6 weeks, an oral liquid medication (Mectin) that will be administered for 6 weeks and 14 days of antibiotics (Simplicef). He doesn't act like he feels bad, but his coat looks awful! The areas where he is missing hair/fur are all over his body, but here are a few on his back:

Mayhem - Mange 7-19-13.jpg

Sandy

Aug 28, 2010
Virginia Beach, Va.
Bulldog(s) Names
Harper Jiggs
Harper had a few spots of puppy demodex. He finished the medicine a month ago and looks great now. No more problems with it. I hope it clears up soon. I know it worried me the entire time, but he is fine now.

shobbsie

Mar 28, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Two
My Boxer was diagnosed with demodectic mange at 12 weeks. We did the round of ivermectin and that took care of it. The vet said it might occur again if she was under stress (I guess the mites lie dormant) at some point. We never had another problem. She lived to nine and a half years and passed from cancer (hemangiosarcoma). From what I was told this is a breeding issue as they get the mite through their mother. A neighbor bought a boxer from the same breeder a year before and had to treat her boxer for D. mange. I hated giving Gimli the mectin, but it did do the trick.

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
Ahh poor Mayhem. I hope it clears up quickly for both of your sakes. :pray2:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
damn... poor fella! hope he heals up quickly -- :hug:

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm so sorry Cyndi. It looks like they gave you all of the right stuff for him to get better. I hope he gets better real quick. :hug:

OP
mavsfan4life

mavsfan4life

Bullshiht-zu
May 10, 2013
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mayhem
Thanks everyone! The good thing is that he takes his medicine like a champ! I put the pill in his mouth and he swallows it like a big boy 😊. My little Shih Tzu becomes possessed when it is time to take any medications. I just hope the medicine works, we get him back to normal and it never comes back!!!

By the way, he gained 10 lbs in the past three weeks. He now weighs 35.2 lbs!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.