Help Needed! Linus update!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Some of you may remember that Linus had totally unnecessary surgery for a blockage that did not exist!! That was a few weeks ago. During that time of recovery he lost a lot of weight. About 2-3lb. I pride myself on keeping my fur-kids lean and muscular. So a 2lb weight loss is not something Linus could really afford to have!!

So we upped the Fromm a bit and kept his home cooked portion the same. We started that on Monday because we both were unhappy with his shape. I can still see his spine.

Yesterday afternoon (thurs), he had sickness and diahorrea again!! So I gave him some pepto and he didn't get fed last night. He did have a second dose of pepto last night and we've had no symptoms since. To be on the safe side he had a third dose this morning with the bland diet. He did poop this morning but it was still dark and I couldn't see. But I wiped his bum when he came in and it appears it was a solid one!!! :up:

I don't know what caused this latest outbreak. Maybe we increased the Fromm too much. He did have a soft boiled whole egg with his dinner on Weds night so maybe his tummy couldn't handle it???? I also cooked up a batch of oat,peanut butter and banana cookies for them all. He had one as a treat on weds too.

I guess my question is this. I am convinced that cutting open his stomach and part of his intestines may have affected him permanently. I truly believe now that I am going to have to watch his food and keep it easily digestible for the rest of his life. But I need to put weight on him and boost his immune system naturally without giving him high fat foods. Hope that makes sense!!! What can I add to his home cooked food that can do that??

I will take any ideas but am going to tag our resident food goddesses [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] and [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION]

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
karen I am on my phone n have to work today but I will answer this tonight. hang in there dear

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I think your right it did do something permanently wrong to him. Poor guy I Love Linus. I still can't believe they did that to him. What if a straight 2 weeks on hamburger & rice?

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I am of no use here just want to send good thoughts your was hoping Linus feels better soon. Harlea sends hugs and puppy kisses too.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
so sorry about linus and his tummy. i would add some dairy to his diet. Lola eats lots of string cheese and high fat cheddar. string cheese for treats, and cheddar for Benadryl now, but we used to have to put shredded cheese on all kibble meals for her to eat.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Awe sweet Linus! I'm soooo glad he's doing better but so sad he ever had to go through this in the first place. :cry:

After Yunas obstruction I put her on Fromm puppy until she got her weight back up. She looked sooooo thin. It seemed to have easily added the weight over just a couple of weeks. But since he seems so touchy right now I'm not sure. Maybe just 1/4 Fromm puppy and the rest his normal kibble? Since his tummy is do sensitive I'd hate to give him too many add ins. :(

I do also think part of yunas weight loss was a certain amount of body fluids gone too. Although she wasn't too dehydrated all that throwing up had to have impact on it. Could also be why she gained it back so quickly.
Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Last edited:

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Well I'm just sending love & prayers for you & Linus. :pray:

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I have heard that rescues use canned pumpkin often to help put weight on. Plus it is good for his poo anyhow. Wouldn't know how much tho specifically for weight increase.

OP
kazzy220

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
He threw up again last night ....... but it had a piece of wood in it .... he's been at the log pile AGAIN!!! :bitching:

We have him on the bland diet and even though his poop is soft it does have shape!!! :poo:

So I"m going to keep him on white rice, soft food and pumpkin for the weekend and see how we do during the week.

Thanks to [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] and [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] for their input ... I'm going to get him back on his half Fromm and half home cooked. Then I"m going to add sweet potato and mashed up pinto beans to get some weight on him, and also increase his Fromm a bit.

Then I have some plain yogurt to start adding in for the probiotic effect on his stomach.

NO more treats and no more egg shells from now on.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Sounds like he is getting a little better, now to keep him from eating wood!! Well that would be like me keeping Vegas from eating sand.......not going to happen!! :cursing:

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I'm late on this but Karen, can also add more rice to Linus' diet...that adds lots of calories too and will put the wt. back on him. I'm thinking of him and wish him good health very soon!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Aww so sorry you and Linus are going through this. I'm glad he is doing better, and hope he continues to improve quickly. Sending love, hugs and prayers your way.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hope Linus is feeling better soon

Most Reactions