Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Haha [MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION] sounds like a wonderful mix:) must be lots of love in your house:D

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i have had a boston terrier that somewhere around 8 years old went blind after seeing all he life. she was what i would say depressed for bout a month then it was on again. she adapted very well and was a happy dog the rest of her life so pets are so much more adaptive to things like this than us humans i would say. i would find out for sure and if so then there are signals and things you can do and well im sure you will work it out. :)

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
One of the members here posted that one way to test was to bang some pots loudly. Your bully needs to be alone though and not expect what you're about to do. If she doesn't react to the loud clanking, then you're probably correct about her hearing.

We thought Punks was the same way. His ears were in horrible condition when we got him from his previous owners. We thought he had hearing problems before too since he didn't respond much when we call him. That was until recently when he noticed that we'd call him mostly for food or butt rubs ... he could be walking to a room that's on the other side of the house and he'd jump and turn around when he hears his name. Silly guy was just selective!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2 :D

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
[MENTION=7710]Petra[/MENTION] you are being a wonderful bully momma, and for that you should not beat yourself up over things you didn't have control over. Joey sounds like a very sweet very happy girl.

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks [MENTION=4688]Baconator[/MENTION] and everyone:) I accidentally dropped a pot in the sink earlier today and it seemed like she reacted to it... I think she can hear certain noises, gonna try and figure out what, and how much she can hear. I've always made signs when giving food and calling them so she knows them already which helps:D

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
I JUST SAW THIS TREAD - (i havent had a proper chance to read it yet x)
Joey deafness isn't something to be sad about , some might call it disability /handicap but i say it is ability
Shy is deaf but all her ther senses working far beyond normal - she is a very alert dog and doesn't miss a thing - you wouldn't know shes deaf
besided what you must remember that dogs in general dont understand English . or Italian in that case - they learn tricks / commands by constant repetition of the word for instance sit - so by replacing words with simple signs (i used made up sighs as they where easier for e to learn rather than ASL) you are basiigly going to go back to basics , and Joey will pick it up quick - i always remind everyone that this is not a disability , but ability - she will know what mood you are in too , and i think deafies are more like a vecro dogs -always around you xx if you gt any problems please do contact me :)

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I have no personal experience with having a deaf animal, but I have friends that do... All of them were able to adjust to their environment very well, and they were very happy babies!!! My diabetic cat towards the end was blind, and as long as we didn't let him outside or move the furniture around he was fine. You would be surprised how adaptable animals are to their limitations... :assurred:

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you [MENTION=9105]Pati Robins[/MENTION]:) she's doing pretty good, I guess it's more me feeling bad for her and the wonder if I could have done anything to prevent it other than the drops the vet gave us:*( but she seems to be happy and I have no real issues dealing with her. Once I get her attention I can get her to do pretty much anything as long as I'm holding a treat:ashamed: :)

Lulu belle

Jan 18, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Max
Hi Petra,
My love Max is 6 years old, he was born deaf. We didn't realize it till he was about 4 months old. Research shows there is a high correlation between white dogs (& cats) and deafness.
Max is a bit insecure & clingy, he doesn't get along with other dogs (though I socialized him 3 days a week for 2 years), the vet says it due to his deafness.
Today we don't even realize he can't hear, he is amazing. He lights up my world. Enjoy Joey, he doesn't know he can't hear.

0 Comment(s)

Pati Robins

Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you @Pati Robins:) she's doing pretty good, I guess it's more me feeling bad for her and the wonder if I could have done anything to prevent it other than the drops the vet gave us:*( but she seems to be happy and I have no real issues dealing with her. Once I get her attention I can get her to do pretty much anything as long as I'm holding a treat:ashamed: :)
I find flashlights and any light around the house(and garden) that i can switch on and off the best thing to get Shy attention
also you can teach your girl to "check in" while on the walk -it will become something very natural for her
when you are on the walk give her a treat every 20 -30 sec . After a while she will automatically turn around to look at you :-)

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Great idea with the flash lights [MENTION=9105]Pati Robins[/MENTION]:) I'm gonna try that for sure. Luckily she has her BFF, the pug Lycka who is always by her side and when Lycka moves Joey knows something is going on and she looks around for me so that works really really well. Pug rarely leaves her side, they've been like glued together since the day we got Joey home, and back then Lycka was just a puppy. I'm very glad they have such a good friendship that also works in Joey's favor:)

Pati Robins

Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Yes it does! My last adoption did not get on with Shy (loads of bloody fights and shy had to had her face stitched ) but lily despite her young age will not leave Shy alone -and Shy is very protective over Lily
I think it is very comforting for them to have a friend to rely on ,also i bought my girl a harness with a velcro patches -her says "im deaf) and other dog has same one with "hearing dog" -lily got to grow into it ;-) it looks like this (not sure of you can see the puc as im using taptalk app ;-( ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375730728.995513.jpg

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.