I suspect my girl is deaf:(

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
We've had Joey now for almost 2 1/2 years... when we got her she had (among lots of other things) really really bad ear infections:*( We went straight with her to the vet and we got all the necessary treatment and her ears cleared up nicely and she hasn't had any problems since. Her ears are not red, they're not dirty as far as I can see and she doesn't have hair growing in her ears either. I treat her ears regularly with Epi-otic that we got from the vet and when at the vet they've never mentioned anything about her having issues with her ears... but we've never really asked about it since there hasn't been a problem:ashamed:

Thinking back I wonder if she was deaf when we got her already... she was then 3 years old and had been neglected since the day she left the breeder:cry: She immediately got super close to our Pug and they are inseparable. If I for some reason has to take Lycka the Pug away Joey starts to bark and usually doesn't stop until her friend is back or she falls asleep.

She uses her ears a lot to show emotions and she "hears" many directions like sit, come, eat and so on... but that she can probably figure out by my gestures and by the fact that the Pug does the same things:confused: I don't know... she doesn't show any discomfort or acts weird. She does hate it when I put ear drops for her, but all our dogs hate that:blink:

I don't know what my question is here really, I just feel super bad for not realizing this much earlier:*( but she's been doing so well and seems so happy and I just figured this is the way she is since I didn't know her all her life... Is there anyone here that has had a bulldog who's hearing possibly got messed up from an ear infection and is there anything that can be done about it?

I'll talk to the vet about it too... I just thought I could maybe hear from someone here that this isn't the end of the world:cry: I love this lill girl so much and I hate thinking I could have done more...

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
It's definitely not the end of the world!!!! And you are not a bad bully mummy at all.

IF she is deaf or partially deaf then it's something she has clearly adapted to.

For your own piece of mind I would find out for sure. You can go on the Internet and learn hand signals that mean certain things. They are fairly universal. We had a bully come into rescue who was totally deaf. Her name was Bubbles, and she was a total joy!!!

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you [MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION]:) I think the reason why she doesn't act deaf is "her" Pug Lycka... Lycka sits so she's in contact with Joey most of the times and when Lycka moves Joey knows something is up and she follows the Pugs lead. But I can't say for sure she's deaf, she might just be kinda lazy and independent... but I've tired a few things like making noises behind her back and so on and she doesn't react to it if Lycka isn't around:*( I just want her to be as happy as she can be... she deserves it, she's so sweet and loving<3

santinomom

Jan 22, 2013
Rochester, New York
Bulldog(s) Names
Santino
I used to have a bully that we got from another family when she was 5 yrs old and we noticed that she was very shy, and would never acknowledge that you had walked into the room after the door had been closed except to raise her little head off the couch when you were standing in front of her and when you would call her name outside it wa as if she didn't hear you until you clapped your hands near hear. We asked the vet about it and after examining her he told us she was partially deaf from ear infections that had been left untreated over time(previous owners). We asked about surgery and he advised that it could be done but that she still would never gain her full hearing back again, at which time we decided against it. Also, when you looked inside her ears ,it looked like se had no ear canals......almost resembled a wrestlers "cauliflower ear". Nevertheless, she is still a beautiful, happy little girl.

santinomom

Jan 22, 2013
Rochester, New York
Bulldog(s) Names
Santino
PS. she also seemed very independent but yet always wanted to sit very very close to you on the couch or in the yard and she really didn't play much with other dogs or toys. The vet indicated that what she could hear was "muffled" sounds. Hope this helps:)

TubbysMom

Community Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Country
Toronto, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby
[MENTION=9105]Pati Robins[/MENTION] posted a video a while back of her doggie doing multiple tricks and following commands using hand signals. It was incredible.

I'm sure Joey is a very happy and loved bully. I've never had any experience with deaf dog but wanted to give you this :hug:

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
Even if Joey is deaf, she has a loving family and people who obviously care for her. She's not in any pain and if she is deaf, she likely has adjusted to it. I know you feel badly, but I'm sure she loves you very much and is happy with her friends. My godmother has an elderly Westie who is deaf -- and he seems very happy. Love to you and Joey! :heartsign:

babybully

May 31, 2011
Great Lakes, North Chicago
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2
Lycka is a 'guide Pug' for Joey! That is so sweet :drawheart: Whether Joey is actually deaf or not, you seem to be giving her the perfect bully life so don't ever worry that you did something wrong momma! Also, her hearing may also be just fine, she could just hearing like an English Bulldog, which is usually very selectively LOL

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
We used to have a ridgeback that was deaf. Over time he learned numerous hand signals and lived a long and happy life. As others have said she has most likely adjusted to it and is happy with the loving home you have given her.

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks so much to all of you for your support<3 I know people say you shouldn't feel sorry for your dog cos they live in the moment but I can't help but thinking about how Joey was deprived of her puppyhood:*( I want to give her the best I can:heart:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Whether she is or isn't you are giving her a great life and she loves you and her Pug buddy! that is what matters... they love you have given and will her.
I have no experience with a deaf bully or any other breed, but as others have said, it appears Joey has adapted quite well to all you have done for her

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Thank you @kazzy220:) I think the reason why she doesn't act deaf is "her" Pug Lycka... Lycka sits so she's in contact with Joey most of the times and when Lycka moves Joey knows something is up and she follows the Pugs lead. But I can't say for sure she's deaf, she might just be kinda lazy and independent... but I've tired a few things like making noises behind her back and so on and she doesn't react to it if Lycka isn't around:*( I just want her to be as happy as she can be... she deserves it, she's so sweet and loving<3

That means nothing .. I have a total of eight dogs ... and I would say that 5 of them listen attentively to every word I say. The other three look at me and most of the time ignore me ... guess what .. three of them are bulldogs!!!! If I had any delusions that i may be important, they take that away on a daily basis!!!! :D

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Omygoodness [MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION] eight dogs:eek: that's awesome:) What other dogs do you have? We have besides the 3 bulldogs, 1 pug and 2 little chihuahua x jack russell mixes we got from the spca where we live:) My plan was 2 bulldogs but life wanted differently:havemyheart:

...and yes a bulldog sure can make you feel like what you say have no importance what so ever:blink: :yes:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Omygoodness @kazzy220 eight dogs:eek: that's awesome:) What other dogs do you have? We have besides the 3 bulldogs, 1 pug and 2 little chihuahua x jack russell mixes we got from the spca where we live:) My plan was 2 bulldogs but life wanted differently:havemyheart:

...and yes a bulldog sure can make you feel like what you say have no importance what so ever:blink: :yes:

Apart from the three bullies ......... I have two miniature schnauzers, a lab mix, a shih-tzu poodle mix, and a schnauzer poodle mix!!!

OH .. and a cat that thinks he's a dog.......... :yes:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.