Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sherman's Face is BRIGHT RED and HE Has BUMPY WELTS EVERYWHERE!!

Real Name
    Shawna
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sherman
    Likes (Received)

Exclamation Sherman's Face is BRIGHT RED and HE Has BUMPY WELTS EVERYWHERE!!

It started Saturday night...I took him to the emergency vet and they said it was hives which could have been caused from anything and they just gave him a shot of Benadryl and then told me to give him 50mg of otc Benadryl and to follow-up with my vet on Monday. When we got home that evening he seemed to be feeling somewhat better and was okay on Sunday as well, but when I woke up Monday morning he was 100 times worse!!!! The welts were HUGE and his face was swollen and red and his chin was extremely raw and it looked like there were spreading lesions!!! I rushed him to the vet and again was told that he had a reaction to something. This puppy eats everything and anything that he can get a hold of with his abnormally large tongue and he knows when he shouldn't eat something because he will innocently try to hypnotize me with his fabricated innocence as he tries to cover whatever it is he is eating with his big head, so I have no ideal whatsoever as to what's causing this. As of Monday he's been taking 2 capsules of Cephalexin 500 strength twice a day, along with the Benadryl, and 1 20mg Prednisone (once a day for 5 days, then every other day until gone). Also the Duox wipes. It seemed that all the hives were diminishing and the sudden rawness seemed to be healing, so I decided to treat him to a nice massage and brush, but as I was brushing him, I was unpleasantly surprised by 2 UGLY fleas on some fur that was on his brush!! I didn't want him to suffer anymore by getting bit all night, so I gave him a flea bath. The weird thing is I only saw one dead flea during the process of elimination. Well, I just now woke up and Sherman has MORE welts, but they're in the creases in his hind legs, on his sides and behind his ears and his poor little squishy face is BRIGHT red and he keeps trying to scratch himself and seems so utterly uncomfortable! What's going on? What are these bumps? They look different from the hives. Is he going to be okay?! I am so worried!!!

The New Casper Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Todd
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harlea
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Sherman's Face is BRIGHT RED and HE Has BUMPY WELTS EVERYWHERE!!

I am not much help here and I am sure others will be along shortly, but has anything with his diet changed recently? It sounds like an allergic reaction to something that has changed.

Real Name
    Bruce
    Bulldog(s) Names
    HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
    Likes (Received)

Try to think of something you have changed in the last few days.... anything, type of laundry detergent, insect spray, just anything. If he is that bad Im surprised that is all the vet did. Take him back to the vet if he continues to get worse.

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Yes as Brucep said, anything new or changed? Flea treatments? New shampoo? New bedding? Yard treatment? Carpet cleaner? New toy? New food? New treats? Vaccines? Flowers in bloom? Freshly cut grass?

Poor baby sounds miserable, take a deep breath hopefully we can help you solve the mystery. With the meds she is on she should certainly be getting better unless she keeps getting exposed to the allergen.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nuts Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jennifer
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean ; Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Awe God Bless him!!! I'm no help but I understand your distress went through something like this with Sheldon his wasn't so severe. Did the vet check him for yeast, or staph infection? Sheldon had it on his tummy and in the creases of his legs he couldn't even lay on his tummy and his muzzle was bright red he looked so uncomfortable.

Love has a name and its name is Sheldon!!!<3

R.I.P. Duece Man 9-13-14 Gone but not forgotten, always in our hearts! Till we meet again over the Bridge, Mommy misses you.

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
    Likes (Received)

Could it be plants or something outside even? How scary! I haven't had anything this extreme so not much help. Welts can be dangerous tho cuz they can be internal as well.

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jim B.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chumley and Hershey
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sobitterlysweet View Post
    It started Saturday night...I took him to the emergency vet and they said it was hives which could have been caused from anything and they just gave him a shot of Benadryl and then told me to give him 50mg of otc Benadryl and to follow-up with my vet on Monday. When we got home that evening he seemed to be feeling somewhat better and was okay on Sunday as well, but when I woke up Monday morning he was 100 times worse!!!! The welts were HUGE and his face was swollen and red and his chin was extremely raw and it looked like there were spreading lesions!!! I rushed him to the vet and again was told that he had a reaction to something. This puppy eats everything and anything that he can get a hold of with his abnormally large tongue and he knows when he shouldn't eat something because he will innocently try to hypnotize me with his fabricated innocence as he tries to cover whatever it is he is eating with his big head, so I have no ideal whatsoever as to what's causing this. As of Monday he's been taking 2 capsules of Cephalexin 500 strength twice a day, along with the Benadryl, and 1 20mg Prednisone (once a day for 5 days, then every other day until gone). Also the Duox wipes. It seemed that all the hives were diminishing and the sudden rawness seemed to be healing, so I decided to treat him to a nice massage and brush, but as I was brushing him, I was unpleasantly surprised by 2 UGLY fleas on some fur that was on his brush!! I didn't want him to suffer anymore by getting bit all night, so I gave him a flea bath. The weird thing is I only saw one dead flea during the process of elimination. Well, I just now woke up and Sherman has MORE welts, but they're in the creases in his hind legs, on his sides and behind his ears and his poor little squishy face is BRIGHT red and he keeps trying to scratch himself and seems so utterly uncomfortable! What's going on? What are these bumps? They look different from the hives. Is he going to be okay?! I am so worried!!!
    Shawna does his face look like this? Chumley is just getting over a bad bout of serious red inflammation on his head and big red bumps..I thought it was a reaction to a rabies shot he didn't need but the vet says differently..I had him on the Cephalexin also for 2 weeks. I kept giving him Benadryl also and washed him with a antibacterial shampoo..They would get better and then come back in a day or two..The vet then changed the antibiotic and just gave me prednisone which I started on Tuesday. Hes looking a lot better but he was starting to improve even before the prednisone. He's only on 5 mg twice a day for 3 days and then once a day for 4..it sounds like the dosage you have is much higher..I honeslty don't know what caused the improvement but it took over 3 weeks and now its looking really good. There was a lot of good advice given to me on the thread I started..it was titled "rabies shot reaction" if youd like to read it...I believe the shot messed with his immune system and now hes allergic to a lot of things. Good luck and keep us posted. -chumhives-jpg

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

He may be allergic to the flea bites too .... just a thought

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Maybe he has a severe allergy to fleas? It wouldn't take many to cause a reaction and really just one bite. Just a thought.

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kazzy220 View Post
    He may be allergic to the flea bites too .... just a thought
    Quote Originally Posted by JAKEISGREAT View Post
    Maybe he has a severe allergy to fleas? It wouldn't take many to cause a reaction and really just one bite. Just a thought.

Ok..THAT is scary! Same time...same wording. I need a drink! Lol

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Kathleen
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
    Likes (Received)

When I was a kid, we had a miniature Schnauzer that was "allergic" to fleas -- he would break out in welts, scratch himself raw -- mess. Things were much different then and the flea deterrents were not as good (I'm going back 40 years, I am old). I think I would take that poor little guy back to the vet. Good luck -- we'll all be praying for relief.

Dogs have a way of finding the people who need them...
    Filling an emptiness we don't even know we have. -- Thom Jones

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sobitterlysweet View Post
    How is Sherman doing.... can you possibly post some pictures?

Our girl had this happen twice and both times we could not identify what caused the problem... she was so swollen she could not open her eyes. We think it was a bug bite or she got into a tree/plant she is allergic too, but no idea and the two occurrances were when she was 2 or 3 years old. Now, she will be 8 in September and has not had any issues since those two --- but, we never knew the reason.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads