Shivering bulldog

Stooge

Oct 6, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Stooge
Hi there,
My little girl Stooge is shivering. Initially it wasn't that noticeable and we didn't think much of it but it has gotten worse over the last few days. No vomiting and havent noticed any runny stools in the back yard. The only thing I have noticed is a little bit of a runny nose and she does feel a bit hot. She is fully vaccinated but am guessing she has a fever? poor thing is shivering beside me under the blankets asleep. It is winter here and she is an otherwise perfectly healthy adult. Is there anything I can do or anything I should look out for?

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I think that shivering is also conserning, but eating and drinking. When she stops eating and especially drinking it's time to see the vet.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i just posted but it didnt take so ill try again. the only time sarah has shivered was when she had a fever. you could take her temp with a regular thermometer and some vaseline. its supposed to be 101 i think. if my dog were shivering over several days and felt hot i would be taking them to the vet if nothing else to rule out an infection or something else going on. you could give a low dose aspirin and see if it helps but i think id be going to the vets to make sure all is ok.

OP
Stooge

Stooge

Oct 6, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Stooge
Excellent thanks for the comments. No eating/drinking issues yet and she seems OK but is a little more sulky and cuddlier than normal... Will keep my eye on her and if she doesnt improve by tomorrow its the vets! I really need to invest in a thermometer...

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I don't have anything to add, but I hope your baby starts to feel better soon and that you find out what is causing her to shiver.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Well...it's concerning...my thoughts is to hold off on the aspirin (low dose &
non coated) until you KNOW she has a fever. It could mask other things like
pain which also causes shivering so I'd take her in to a vet if she doesn't perk
up soon and definitely GO if she isn't running fever...let us know...GOD bless!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I can't add much more. You've been given great advice, but I think if it has been going on for a few days then I would be at the vets.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
The shivering COULD be from being cold or having a cold or it could be something more serious. If it continues past more than a couple of hours I would make an appointment with the doctor for some bloodwork.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Excellent thanks for the comments. No eating/drinking issues yet and she seems OK but is a little more sulky and cuddlier than normal... Will keep my eye on her and if she doesnt improve by tomorrow its the vets! I really need to invest in a thermometer...

Does she have a hoodie? I would look into getting her something warm for the winter! Orion loves to be warm! She is a sunbather and a fireplace hoarder! She loves to keep warm no matter what time of year.

The above info is good advice. If taking a rectal temp....use a digital thermometer. DO NOT use a mercury thermometer to take dog temperature because if the thermometer happens to be sucked all the way into the rectum, it can break and the mercury can of course be very harmful to the dog.

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
I don't have anything to add, just wanted to say good luck and hopefully your little girl is on the mend soon.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I agree with everyone's advice above, and I would also definetely take a trip to the vet if the shivering is still happening, since it's already been a few days. I hope Stooge feels better soon, and it's nothing serious.

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
You have def been given good advice! I agree w holding off on any aspirin n def going to the vet

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Hope she starts to feel better please keep us updated...

Love has a name and its name is Sheldon!!!<3

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
The normal body temperature for dogs is between 101 and 102.5 F, 103 is considered a fever in a dog. It is an emergency if your dog stops drinking water. Hope your bully feels better soon. Let us know what happens. Take care.

I don't know where you live but here we live and die by Amazon because it is a long ways to real shopping. Here is a link to a dog thermometer.
http://www.amazon.com/Nutri-Vet-506...id=1374126081&sr=1-2&keywords=dog+thermometer

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Geat advice has been given.... sneding hugs and positive thoughts that she is doing well. please keep us posted

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.