Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
OUCH!!!!!!
Poor Sally - Jeannie that is what Nitschke's would look like. I consistently treated till it was gone. But, he never truly got rid of them till we identified the rice allergy. Then he never got another one,.
She's a trooper that's for sure. She lets me do what I have to do to get it cleaned. I'll keep doing a twice a day cleaning until it's 100% gone this time. Canned food has stopped but she did go on Earthborn Meadows Feast for a few days and that's when it cleared up. She's been back on the Fromm since Tuesday. I need to compare those ingredients I think.

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
It looks really healthy. No signs of infection, very clean and healing. Desertskybulldogs is the one who recommended the epsom salt so I don't know what mix she uses. It can take weeks to heal unfortunately. I would stick with the twice a day soak and even get a third in on the weekends if you can. I think everything you are doing is just right. :yes:

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
Just found this on Sally tonight. I found this thread that will help out quite a bit. Reoccuring interdigital cyst. From what I understand reading that thread, it's food related? She had hard boiled eggs recently and last night. The only other thing I can think of is this week she has as new canned food: Wellness Core Beef, Venison & Lamb forumala. She gets a couple tablespoons mixed in her food morning night. Wonder if that's it? We had her 8 weeks plus now so I'm thinking it's it. :confused:

Mabel's vet suggested putting Listerine (the old yellow variety) in a spray bottle and spraying them with it. He said that it will keep her from licking her paws (bad taste) as well as kill the bacteria that can cause these. When all else fails, I have a limitless number of refills of cephalexin that takes care of them. He also said we can use Malaket wipes on them.

OP
JeannieCO

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
It looks really healthy. No signs of infection, very clean and healing. Desertskybulldogs is the one who recommended the epsom salt so I don't know what mix she uses. It can take weeks to heal unfortunately. I would stick with the twice a day soak and even get a third in on the weekends if you can. I think everything you are doing is just right. :yes:

I can definitely do 3x on the weekend.
[MENTION=7749]ChrisRN[/MENTION], I have malaket wipes so will use those too if needed.

[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] hey how much salt do I use?

OP
JeannieCO

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
How is the foot looking?
Christy, I just took this pic. It's down and looking better. I just cleaned it an hour ago. Earlier today it was dry and white. It gets red like this though after it's been cleaned. Some puss came out this evening too.

image.jpg
image.jpg

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
When it was dry today, it look super good. It doesn't seem to bother here until I'm poking at it.

Just popping in to say hi and to see how the foot is.

I also wanted to share with you something I read. If you give your dog a Tums twice a day they will not get cysts between their toes. I don't know if it works but I thought I would pass it on.

:rolleyes:

OP
JeannieCO

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Just popping in to say hi and to see how the foot is.

I also wanted to share with you something I read. If you give your dog a Tums twice a day they will not get cysts between their toes. I don't know if it works but I thought I would pass it on.

:rolleyes:

I meant to post this two days ago, dohhh. It's getting better. Still doing the twice a day cleaning but with just the Hibicleans. Tums huh? Like the colored tums. That's very interesting.

2 days ago
image.jpg

Just now.
image.jpg

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
This thread has been helpful!

Finn has one of these cysts as well...just noticed last night. [MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION], with the epsom salts do you just put it in the tub and have Sally stand in the water for awhile? I read it could be a fungal cause too and that antifungals, like tinactin are helpful. I'm going to start w/the epsom bath first and see how it goes.

OP
JeannieCO

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

Finn has one of these cysts as well...just noticed last night. [MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION], with the epsom salts do you just put it in the tub and have Sally stand in the water for awhile? I read it could be a fungal cause too and that antifungals, like tinactin are helpful. I'm going to start w/the epsom bath first and see how it goes.

Henny, I wasn’t quite sure how much Epsom salt to use so I followed the direction, well sorta. I used 1 cup and just put that into a large bowl with about ½ gal or so of warm water and then swirled it around until it dissolved. I put sally’s paw in the bowl and then let her soak in it for a few minutes and squeezed the cyst to get what gunk would come out. Mostly just oozed a bit of blood. Then I rinsed the bowl and filled it with warm water again and used the Hibiclens and washed it off. Then I use the ointment I have that I got from her vet (it’s for skin lesions and is great stuff). The last few days I’ve just used the Hibiclens. I’m going to do an Epsom soak tonight though. Whole process only takes about 5 minutes. You can put Finn in the tub and use the bowl in there, that’s what I did.

You’ll notice a difference within the first 24 hours too. Don’t stop with the treatments like I did until it’s completely healed up or it’ll flare right back up.

It's amazing what we continue to learn huh? :up:

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
I am still dealing with this with Otis, the vet said they are not to bad, first visit he had cortisone shot - it got better but did not go away fully, brought him back a couple weeks later and he has him on predisone, again, looks better but not going away - did try the Epson salt soaks and it didn't seem to help. Otis has grass allergies so I think that is what is aggravating it. Nasty buggers just wont heal totally but they are not bothersome and are not flared up. I'll be interested to see how everyone makes out. Will also update if anything changes on my end.

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
I meant to post this two days ago, dohhh. It's getting better. Still doing the twice a day cleaning but with just the Hibicleans. Tums huh? Like the colored tums. That's very interesting.

2 days ago
View attachment 50685

Just now.
View attachment 50686
Looking much better! They take so long to heal. All I know is the lady said her grandfather was a vet and he swore by the Tums!

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey

Finn has one of these cysts as well...just noticed last night. @JeannieCO, with the epsom salts do you just put it in the tub and have Sally stand in the water for awhile? I read it could be a fungal cause too and that antifungals, like tinactin are helpful. I'm going to start w/the epsom bath first and see how it goes.

They are really painful. I would use the hibiclens as well as the epsom bath because the hibiclens will kill any bacteria that is in or around it for up to six hours especially after it opens up. The epsom bath just helps with the swelling. You can buy the hibiclens at Walmart, Walgreens or CVS.

📰 Latest posts

Members online