General Question Hemorrhoids - Wilson (Pic included)

TubbysMom

Community Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Country
Toronto, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby
No kidding. Eating now and it's 8:30. The fight happened with Wilson & Jack shortly after I got home. To get off subject for a moment, I was sitting down on a bench in the backyard and my neighbor who just got back from vacation was mowing his lawn. I got up to say howdy to him and before I knew it they were fighting. Jack had Wilson by the head dragging him. I couldn't latch on to Wilson and Emma was egging them on following them. About 25' and now on the other side of the yard I finally got him and got Jack to let go. Wilson's the gamey one and won't stop so I need to get ahold of him first. No one was hurt and Wilson only has a small scratch on his ear. Sally stayed back and she was barking being top guard dog now barking at the neighbor. I was laughing inside and wanting to beat the other two at the same time.

Wow what a commotion. What a smart cookie Sally is not wanting the neighbour to see the family drama lol

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Holy crap... there is some much excitment at one time in your home.... glad all are OK and treatable.

I can't see the pic as I am at work, but roids on the doggie is news to me too... just never thought of it

OP
JeannieCO

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Wow what a commotion. What a smart cookie Sally is not wanting the neighbour to see the family drama lol
I couldn't believe she was barking at him....but he did have his lawn mower out to come to think of it and that's about the only time she barks. :hmm:

It's an acronym for Pain In The A$$.
YEP!! :D

Holy crap... there is some much excitment at one time in your home.... glad all are OK and treatable.

I can't see the pic as I am at work, but roids on the doggie is news to me too... just never thought of it
And then Mike came home and had to play with his power boat in the kitchen. I needed Calgone last night, lol. Here's the LONG version from VetInfo. Maybe it's not a hemmorhoid but sure seems like it. Time will tell.

Dog hemorrhoids are very rare, but they do require medical attention when they occur. They occur when blood vessels in your dog's rectum or anus become enlarged and bulge due to increased blood flow. Here's what you should know about hemorrhoids in dogs.

Causes and Types of Dog Hemorrhoids

Dog hemorrhoids occur when pressure in the rectum increases enough to cause expansion of blood vessels. Increased blood flow through expanded blood vessels causes the vessels to bulge out and become hemorrhoids.

Vets believe that poor muscle tone and bad diet may play a role in causing dog hemorrhoids. There may be a genetic component as well.

Hemorrhoids in dogs can be either internal or external. Internal hemorrhoids occur inside the rectum below the lining of the anus. External hemorrhoids occur outside the anus just under the skin. Hemorrhoids can rupture and bleed.

Symptoms of Hemorrhoids in Dogs

The first sign of a dog hemorrhoid is usually itchiness in the rectal area, though the first noticeable sign will likely be blood in the dog's stool. If your dog's hemorrhoids are external, he may attempt to relieve the discomfort by dragging the area on the ground. External hemorrhoids will create visible protrusions from the anus. In some cases, the hemorrhoid may become infected, in which case the area will be painful to the touch.

Hemorrhoids in dogs are often difficult to distinguish from rectal tumors and fissures, so you should have your vet examine them to verify that they are, indeed, hemorrhoids. Because dog hemorrhoids are rare, it's very likely that your dog may in fact be suffering from another condition.

Treating Your Dog's Hemorrhoids

If your vet confirms that your dog is suffering from hemorrhoids and not another condition such as rectal tumors, you can probably treat the hemorrhoids at home. Use a cotton ball to apply chilled witch hazel to the area three times daily. You should keep the witch hazel in the refrigerator so that it will be cold enough. Press the cotton ball against the hemorrhoid until it's warm; the combination of witch hazel and cold helps the blood vessels to constrict once again.

You should also feed your dog differently. You'll need to add fiber to his diet. Give him a spoonful of canned pumpkin each day. Feed him jerky treats instead of dry dog biscuits and eliminate dairy products, especially cheese, from your dog's diet until the hemorrhoids have healed.

Do what you can to encourage your dog to drink more water. Change his water more frequently so that it's fresher and more appealing. Exercise your dog more so that he gets thirsty more often. Exercising your dog and keeping him well hydrated will make his bowel movements pass more easily, and it will also increase his blood flow to help the hemorrhoids heal.

Protect your dog's hemorrhoids from infection by applying a dab of petroleum jelly to the affected area before you let him relieve himself. You can use a Q-tip or cotton ball. Clean the area after he finishes his bowel movement and apply aloe vera gel.

Read more: Symptoms of Dog Hemorrhoids - VetInfo

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
[MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] if you don't want to use preparation H due to the mess or someone else wanting to clean it off of Wilson for him, they make preparation H wipes. It's basically just witch hazel and aloe though so it may just be easier to use what you have.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.