Crepitus

tyree213

Nov 26, 2012
New Orleans
Bulldog(s) Names
Gilbert, Scarlet
So I last week I did the orthopedic exam for my dogs insurance. The vet noted Crepitus in the stifle and hock. I googled this and found out that its crackling noise during the range of motion. Can anyone else give me more info & let me know if this is serious and if I should be giving him some kind of supplements. Thanks!

Last edited:

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
This isn't something that I've ever heard of, let me tag a few more people that could possibly help out here.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I haven't heard of it either. I am sure someone with more knowledge than me will be along shortly.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I did a quick search.... it is what I was thinking, signs of arthitis. Glucosmine will help, and it is common in bullies.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Yes this is new to me too, I think glucosamine would surely help, I would talk to your vet about it for sure....

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, Crepitus or grating in the joint, is often an early sign of arthritis, it is caused by bone or cartilage rubbing together. The knee, ankle, hip, and elbow joints can all be affected, and the affected joint may be thickened.

There are some things you can do to provide relief of symptoms, such as providing well padded bedding, to prevent pressure points and callouses, and keep bedding away from cold or damp drafts.

Use of carpets on steps and hardwood floors to prevent slipping.

Be careful or limit your dog going up and down the stairs, and limit or avoid jumping off or on couches or beds, and jumping in or out of cars or trucks.

You can use muscle massage, to stimulate blood flow to muscles, or use warm compresses over sore joints, just be careful not to use excessive temperatures that are too hot. Your vet can do massage therapy, or you can find a massage clinic that can show you the techniques and do it yourself.

Its good to control or prevent obesity in your dog to prevent undue stress on the joints and muscles.

Your vet can provide anti pain and anti inflammatory medications for relief if needed.

There are also many natural supplements that you can add to your bullies food, or give as supplements in pill form, such as we add plain unsweetened yogurt to our guys morning kibble every morning, it provides good probiotics so is really good for digestion, and it also boosts the immune system, we put 1 Tbsp of apple cider vinegar in their drinking water everyday, because it has a lot of health benefits for humans as well as dogs. APC is a natural anti inflammatory, and arthritis as well as many other diseases or illnesses are caused by inflammation in the body. It also kills bad bacteria in the body, so is a natural immune booster, and it helps to balance the Ph levels in the body. Both of these are inexpensive and are natural, so will not hurt your dog. As well you can give your bully Chondroitin and Glucosomine supplements which also help the joints.

Last edited:

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
So I last week I did the orthopedic exam for my dogs insurance. The vet noted Crepitus in the stifle and hock. I googled this and found out that its crackling noise during the range of motion. Can anyone else give me more info & let me know if this is serious and if I should be giving him some kind of supplements. Thanks!

I sent you a pm of the stuff I use, it works great for my 5

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.