What are the benefits of salmon oil vs coconut oil?

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
I know some ppl give salmon oil, and other oils if their bullies are allergic (I just can't remember what they ate), some ppl prefer coconut oil. What are the comparative benefits of all the oils you can use? Is there one better then the other etc? I use grizzly salmon oil currently, but am not sure if that is contributing to Brie's chin acne so if there are ones better or w comparable benefits, i'd like to experiment. Thank you for any input!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
They all contain Omegas, so the benefits are the same, you can use salmon oil, cod liver oil, or coconut oil. My female Blossom is allergic to chicken and salmon, and when I gave her salmon oil, she had a reaction, her face was pink, she got a pink chin with bumps, and I had to give her a Benadryl. So I give her cod liver oil instead, I haven't used any coconut oil, but I've heard good things about it, and other members on here use it as an alternate source of Omega oils.

OP
Lisabear123

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
They all contain Omegas, so the benefits are the same, you can use salmon oil, cod liver oil, or coconut oil. My female Blossom is allergic to chicken and salmon, and when I gave her salmon oil, she had a reaction, her face was pink, she got a pink chin with bumps, and I had to give her a Benadryl. So I give her cod liver oil instead, I haven't used any coconut oil, but I've heard good things about it, and other members on here use it as an alternate source of Omega oils.

Thank you. I'm wondering if the salmon oil isn't why Brie's chin in a bit red w acne. I think she had a bit of it before I used it tho, but I just want to make sure it isn't making it worse. I wasn't sure if some oils had more benefits or not. :D I learn so much here!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
You're welcome, you can try the cod liver oil, and see if the redness goes away, this might take up to a week for the other oils to leave her system. It still could be her food depending on what you're feeding her. What brand do you use? If it has a chicken based food, then she could be allergic to it. A lot of bullies don't tolerate chicken. Try using cod liver oil, and see if there's an improvement, I don't have any experience with coconut oil, but I know some members use it. I think it's more expensive than salmon or cod liver oils, but if you buy your supplements at the drugstore or a health food store it's less expensive than if you buy them from the vets. It's a trial and error when it comes to finding food, treats, and supplements that our allergic or sensitive babies can tolerate, but once we find the right ones, it's best to keep them on the same ones. I've had Blossom on Fromms Beef Frittata for 9 months, and she's been doing excellent on it, but last week I decided to try a new flavour of Fromms, and bought Turkey and Duck. The very same day, Blossom got red ears, red face, and chin, and was miserable. I gave her a Benadryl and she immediately got better, I switched back to the Beef, and is okay again. I'm going to stick to the beef, as it works for her. Good luck finding out was is causing Bries sensitivities, and pink face.

OP
Lisabear123

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
I use Fromms puppy gold n mx Fromms wet n atm but I believe it is chicken n duck based. The wet food has been chicken, duck, salmon, pork n beef. I did buy a few bags of pork n peas, pork n applesauce and beef frittata yesterday to switch her when her puppy bag is empty.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
You can also use krill oil as well.

- - - Updated - - -

If you want to try the coconut,I would eliminate the salmon for a period of time to see if there is any difference as far as allergy goes.

OP
Lisabear123

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
Good idea. If no allergies are present, would it be good or bad to use both? Say salmon in morning n coconut in evening?

FORDE'SMOM

Jun 17, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Forde
i give forde fish oil capsules.......would salmon oil, coconut oil or any kind of oil be better for him...he still sheds ALOT !!! Also...how much should i give for forde to benefit from it?

Last edited:

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
[MENTION=9236]Lisabear123[/MENTION] how old is Brie? Bacon had acne when he was a pup and grew out of it for the most part. We also started to use salmon oil pills instead of the grizzly oil because it stinks and Bacon liked to wipe his face on things after and during dinner so he was making the entire house smell like fish.

OP
Lisabear123

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
Lol Brie likes to give stinky fish kisses after.. She is 7 mo the old. The chin acne seems to have been there on n off before the salmon oil which is y I'm not sure it is allergy related or not. The food she was on before Fromm was royal canin so it might be a chicken thing, but I just don't know tbh

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Salmon oil tastes better!!!!!! (I HAAAATE Coconut) :laugh:

OP
Lisabear123

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
Salmon oil tastes better!!!!!! (I HAAAATE Coconut) :laugh:

LOL sooo no coconut pie for you? I was going to give her both for max benefits. Taste of the sea in the morning, tropical in the evening :idea:

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
LOL sooo no coconut pie for you? I was going to give her both for max benefits. Taste of the sea in the morning, tropical in the evening :idea:

NO coconut anything for me!!!!! BLEEECH!!! I see no problem with giving them both. May want to reduce the amount of each a little tho.

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Lol Brie likes to give stinky fish kisses after.. She is 7 mo the old. The chin acne seems to have been there on n off before the salmon oil which is y I'm not sure it is allergy related or not. The food she was on before Fromm was royal canin so it might be a chicken thing, but I just don't know tbh

The only other thought I had using the oil vs the pills is she may be getting clogged pores on her chin from the oil. Also what kind of water bowl are you using?

OP
Lisabear123

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
Stainless steel bowls. She had this on n off before I started the oil, it is just a bit more reddish now ..but again, it could be age or any other allergy related thing..ugh lol no clue..

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.