What are the benefits of salmon oil vs coconut oil?

OP
Lisabear123

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
Mmmmm...did somebody say, COCONUTS?! Yum, Yum!!! :)
@Lisabear123, I've been using coconut oil for about 1month now--putting 1 teaspoon twice a day in the boy's food as well as cooking with it. This morning I also put a bunch on myself b/c my skin's so dry and itchy. Oh, but on to the bullies...I just started putting some on Finn's coat and paws this a.m. b/c he is such an itchy bugger! He licks his paws often and i'm wondering if it's more a habitual thing of his or if he truly is itchy. Nevertheless, i'm trying to see if the coconut oil as a topical will help him. The chin acne is something i've dealt with in both boys too and definitely using stainless steel bowls as well as wiping their faces dry after drinking and eating has helped a lot.

Thank you. I thinking of using the coconut on her paws to see if it helps them from being so dry. Her chin is actually better. Wonder if you can use the coconut oil on their noses to keep it soft?

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Thank you. I thinking of using the coconut on her paws to see if it helps them from being so dry. Her chin is actually better. Wonder if you can use the coconut oil on their noses to keep it soft?

Yes, I'd put some on her nose and see if that helps the dryness. Interestingly, Finn has not been licking his paws (knock on wood) all morning! I just came back from Trader Joe's and got another jar of coconut oil b/c i'm planning on using it on myself too :)

OP
Lisabear123

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
Yes, I'd put some on her nose and see if that helps the dryness. Interestingly, Finn has not been licking his paws (knock on wood) all morning! I just came back from Trader Joe's and got another jar of coconut oil b/c i'm planning on using it on myself too :)

So it is working then? Yay! I put a little n my coffee..it does take some getting used to w the oiliness to it but wasn't too bad. I will use it on my skin n her paws/nose. The vet said she was good w just the salmon oil n to cut out giving her the coconut oil cos she is filling out...his way of saying porking out LOL she is 35 pounds at 7 mos

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Mmmmm...did somebody say, COCONUTS?! Yum, Yum!!! :)
@Lisabear123, I've been using coconut oil for about 1month now--putting 1 teaspoon twice a day in the boy's food as well as cooking with it. This morning I also put a bunch on myself b/c my skin's so dry and itchy. Oh, but on to the bullies...I just started putting some on Finn's coat and paws this a.m. b/c he is such an itchy bugger! He licks his paws often and i'm wondering if it's more a habitual thing of his or if he truly is itchy. Nevertheless, i'm trying to see if the coconut oil as a topical will help him. The chin acne is something i've dealt with in both boys too and definitely using stainless steel bowls as well as wiping their faces dry after drinking and eating has helped a lot.

Henny I got a great spray to use as a topical for itching, it's basically a combo of tea tree oil and aloe in a pump spray bottle. I worked wonders with Bacon over the winter when his skin dried out after being bathed

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Henny I got a great spray to use as a topical for itching, it's basically a combo of tea tree oil and aloe in a pump spray bottle. I worked wonders with Bacon over the winter when his skin dried out after being bathed

Thanks Pete, that's really good to know. Tea tree oil and aloe sounds like a very soothing combo for the dryness. I know tea tree oil is used to help w/dandruff in us humans (amongst other things). :) Did u find it at a health store?

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Thanks Pete, that's really good to know. Tea tree oil and aloe sounds like a very soothing combo for the dryness. I know tea tree oil is used to help w/dandruff in us humans (amongst other things). :) Did u find it at a health store?

Henny I actually found it at our local pet store in town. I'll find the bottle when I get home and let you know what it's called and what brand it is.

OP
Lisabear123

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
Henny I actually found it at our local pet store in town. I'll find the bottle when I get home and let you know what it's called and what brand it is.

I'd like to know as well please!

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
a9u8y4y9.jpg

This is the stuff we use it works great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

OP
Lisabear123

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
Looks great, thank you so much for posting it! :)

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
You won't have a problem with bad smell if you use coconut oil plus you can use it yourself for nutrition and/or as a moisturizer, its great for that purpose. I have given coconut oil in the past to Ace but after the initial eating he didn't care for it and haven't tried it much since then. The kibble I feed has Omega 3's in it and I also, as a regular topper on the kibble, at least once a week and often more times than that, use tuna or salmon, [the fish not the oil] which Ace loves as does the maltese. Both are excellent sources of protein and Omega 3

I like the idea of using salmon, tuna and sardines as the occasional meal "topper". I would add mackerel to the list too... lots of omega 3 fatty acids.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.