Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What are the benefits of salmon oil vs coconut oil?

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: What are the benefits of salmon oil vs coconut oil?

Quote Originally Posted by Rural mystic View Post
    You won't have a problem with bad smell if you use coconut oil plus you can use it yourself for nutrition and/or as a moisturizer, its great for that purpose. I have given coconut oil in the past to Ace but after the initial eating he didn't care for it and haven't tried it much since then. The kibble I feed has Omega 3's in it and I also, as a regular topper on the kibble, at least once a week and often more times than that, use tuna or salmon, [the fish not the oil] which Ace loves as does the maltese. Both are excellent sources of protein and Omega 3

A couple of sardines is a great topping too, use the water packed.

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

Real Name
    Hans Gruber
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bacon
    Likes (Received)

She is only 7 months old, I would give her some time to grow out of it, think of it like she is a teenager with acne right now. Bacon's got real bad around that age and then subsided as he got older. He is 1 and a half now and gets an occasional pimple.

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brie
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Baconator View Post
    She is only 7 months old, I would give her some time to grow out of it, think of it like she is a teenager with acne right now. Bacon's got real bad around that age and then subsided as he got older. He is 1 and a half now and gets an occasional pimple.
    Thank you. She does lick her 2 front paws for a bit at night when laying in bed, but she is prolly just cleaning them..and also at night sometimes she makes this blowing out of her nose sound. Could be trying to clear nose, could be inverted sneeze .who knows. But nothing frantic. I've started wiping her paws after her last walk to see if maybe its outside. She did have some dander but the oil stopped it. So, maybe whatever could be bugging her is not food related at all.
    This is her chin: grrrr still sideways..can you still see?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -image-jpg  
    Last edited by Lisabear123; 07-17-2013 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Added new pic

Real Name
    Hans Gruber
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bacon
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lisabear123 View Post
    Thank you. She does lick her 2 front paws for a bit at night when laying in bed, but she is prolly just cleaning them..and also at night sometimes she makes this blowing out of her nose sound. Could be trying to clear nose, could be inverted sneeze .who knows. But nothing frantic. I've started wiping her paws after her last walk to see if maybe its outside. She did have some dander but the oil stopped it. So, maybe whatever could be bugging her is not food related at all.
    This is her chin: grrrr still sideways..can you still see?
    Her chin looks fine, it's probably just growing up acne, Bacon's was much works then that. He had almost no fun on his chin when he went through that phase it was just really raw and painful looking all the time.

Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brie
    Likes (Received)

Her chin looks fine, it's probably just growing up acne, Bacon's was much works then that. He had almost no fun on his chin when he went through that phase it was just really raw and painful looking all the time.
    Ok then. I'll just see ow things go. Thank you so much for all your help!

Worlds Greatest Chef I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Mmmmm...did somebody say, COCONUTS?! Yum, Yum!!!
    @Lisabear123, I've been using coconut oil for about 1month now--putting 1 teaspoon twice a day in the boy's food as well as cooking with it. This morning I also put a bunch on myself b/c my skin's so dry and itchy. Oh, but on to the bullies...I just started putting some on Finn's coat and paws this a.m. b/c he is such an itchy bugger! He licks his paws often and i'm wondering if it's more a habitual thing of his or if he truly is itchy. Nevertheless, i'm trying to see if the coconut oil as a topical will help him. The chin acne is something i've dealt with in both boys too and definitely using stainless steel bowls as well as wiping their faces dry after drinking and eating has helped a lot.

Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brie
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cali baker View Post
    @Lisabear123, I've been using coconut oil for about 1month now--putting 1 teaspoon twice a day in the boy's food as well as cooking with it. This morning I also put a bunch on myself b/c my skin's so dry and itchy. Oh, but on to the bullies...I just started putting some on Finn's coat and paws this a.m. b/c he is such an itchy bugger! He licks his paws often and i'm wondering if it's more a habitual thing of his or if he truly is itchy. Nevertheless, i'm trying to see if the coconut oil as a topical will help him. The chin acne is something i've dealt with in both boys too and definitely using stainless steel bowls as well as wiping their faces dry after drinking and eating has helped a lot.
    Thank you. I thinking of using the coconut on her paws to see if it helps them from being so dry. Her chin is actually better. Wonder if you can use the coconut oil on their noses to keep it soft?

Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lisabear123 View Post
    Thank you. I thinking of using the coconut on her paws to see if it helps them from being so dry. Her chin is actually better. Wonder if you can use the coconut oil on their noses to keep it soft?
    Yes, I'd put some on her nose and see if that helps the dryness. Interestingly, Finn has not been licking his paws (knock on wood) all morning! I just came back from Trader Joe's and got another jar of coconut oil b/c i'm planning on using it on myself too

Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brie
    Likes (Received)

Yes, I'd put some on her nose and see if that helps the dryness. Interestingly, Finn has not been licking his paws (knock on wood) all morning! I just came back from Trader Joe's and got another jar of coconut oil b/c i'm planning on using it on myself too
    So it is working then? Yay! I put a little n my coffee..it does take some getting used to w the oiliness to it but wasn't too bad. I will use it on my skin n her paws/nose. The vet said she was good w just the salmon oil n to cut out giving her the coconut oil cos she is filling out...his way of saying porking out LOL she is 35 pounds at 7 mos

Real Name
    Hans Gruber
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bacon
    Likes (Received)

Henny I got a great spray to use as a topical for itching, it's basically a combo of tea tree oil and aloe in a pump spray bottle. I worked wonders with Bacon over the winter when his skin dried out after being bathed

Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Henny I got a great spray to use as a topical for itching, it's basically a combo of tea tree oil and aloe in a pump spray bottle. I worked wonders with Bacon over the winter when his skin dried out after being bathed
    Thanks Pete, that's really good to know. Tea tree oil and aloe sounds like a very soothing combo for the dryness. I know tea tree oil is used to help w/dandruff in us humans (amongst other things). Did u find it at a health store?

Real Name
    Hans Gruber
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bacon
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Pete, that's really good to know. Tea tree oil and aloe sounds like a very soothing combo for the dryness. I know tea tree oil is used to help w/dandruff in us humans (amongst other things). Did u find it at a health store?
    Henny I actually found it at our local pet store in town. I'll find the bottle when I get home and let you know what it's called and what brand it is.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads