My poor baby has a skin infection.

cheeseburger123

Jul 13, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cheeseburger
IMG_7728.jpg

So this erupted yesterday. I have been putting vetericyn on it every 4 hours, giving him an epson salt bath 2x a day, and giving him Temaril P tabs from a previous skin infection that went away on its own. I have socks on his feet and a cone on his head to prevent him itching it. Has anyone gone through this with their bulldog and have any advice for me? I looked it up and not too sure what it is. From research thinking it could be a hotspot, yeast infection, or food allergy. Any help would be appreciated. Have to go to work on Monday and want to be comfortable with him being okay while he's at home.

IMG_9827.jpg

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I can't quite make out where that is?

TubbysMom

Community Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Country
Toronto, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby
Tubby was just diagnosed with a skin infection today :bitching: its in between his eyes so were lucky enough to not have to worry about him licking it or scratching it. Vet told me to continue cleaning with baby wipes and prescribed him Fuciderm twice a day. All he was going in for was a blood test to get neutered. :cursing:

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I'm sorry about little Cheeseburger's infection. I haven't had experience with this myself but it cannot be comfortable. Hopefully this will clear up soon and he'll be back to his old self again.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
View attachment 48276

So this erupted yesterday. I have been putting vetericyn on it every 4 hours, giving him an epson salt bath 2x a day, and giving him Temaril P tabs from a previous skin infection that went away on its own. I have socks on his feet and a cone on his head to prevent him itching it. Has anyone gone through this with their bulldog and have any advice for me? I looked it up and not too sure what it is. From research thinking it could be a hotspot, yeast infection, or food allergy. Any help would be appreciated. Have to go to work on Monday and want to be comfortable with him being okay while he's at home.

View attachment 48277

Where on his body is the infection? Is it any where else on him?

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
View attachment 48276

View attachment 48277

:smileywelcome:
It looks like hotspots , dogs sweat at their feet, and if the hotspot is at his throat the cone will definitely make it worse, I'm sorry he's suffering through this, lots of us go through it this time of year, certain dogs are prone to it through allergies . since you went through this before you know what to expect. It looks bad that's for sure. I see it's your first post so welcome to the site.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
:smileywelcome:
It looks like hotspots , dogs sweat at their feet, and if the hotspot is at his throat the cone will definitely make it worse, I'm sorry he's suffering through this, lots of us go through it this time of year, certain dogs are prone to it through allergies . since you went through this before you know what to expect. It looks bad that's for sure. I see it's your first post so welcome to the site.

Agree it does look like a monster of a hot spot. [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] has a great thread about them let me find it for you.

Here it is:

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/showthread.php?20319-Hot-Spots-the-bad-and-the-ugly-of-it

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
that sure looks like a giant hot spot. is it wet all the time like there is ointment on it you cant wipe off. if so its a hot spot and it needs to be shaved. shaving the area is so important to helping it dry out and heal. keeping the area dry is very important. i am also thinking that it may be beyond clearing it up on your own without an anti biotic. if you cannot shave the area yourself and if its a hot spot it will be very sore and they may not let you shave it then i would think a vet visit is in order to have it shaved and get the anti biotic. tamaril p seems to be a steroid and will do nothing for this as its bacterial in nature but there will be itching as its healing and i mean itching. keep us updated and yes there is a sticky at the top of this section on hot spots.

OP
C

cheeseburger123

Jul 13, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cheeseburger
Thanks for all the advice from everyone. Its already starting to look a little better and acting a little more like himself. We're gonna give it another day or so and if we dont see a change after the home remedies we'll take him in. Really appreciate the advice and warm welcome from everyone! :)

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Aww poor little guy, it looks sore. I hope Cheeseburger feels better soon. You're doing everything you can to help it heal, good job mama, and you got great advice above. Sending love, hugs, and prayers for you guys that he feels better and his infection clears up

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
Do you wear a collar on him inside the house as well? That can happen when moisture builds up underneath the collar.

Very good point! I keep Brie's off when she is at home. That might help too

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.